Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New wheels for specialized sequoia??

    Hi everyone.

    This is kind of a random question, but I've got a specialized sequoia elite, and it has Alex wheels that come stock with the bike. I do mostly commuting on it. I've read alot about Alex wheels/rims being mediocre at best, and some people hate them. I've really not read much good about them at all. I haven't had any problems with mine, but it sounds like I will in the future, which makes me think about upgrading. What does everyone think?

    If you think I should upgrade, do you have recommentations on what to upgrade to? I'd like light wheels, but since this is my commuter, not a high performance racing bike, I'm not sure how light I can really go. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member skydive69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Posts
    2,258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sininen
    Hi everyone.

    This is kind of a random question, but I've got a specialized sequoia elite, and it has Alex wheels that come stock with the bike. I do mostly commuting on it. I've read alot about Alex wheels/rims being mediocre at best, and some people hate them. I've really not read much good about them at all. I haven't had any problems with mine, but it sounds like I will in the future, which makes me think about upgrading. What does everyone think?

    If you think I should upgrade, do you have recommentations on what to upgrade to? I'd like light wheels, but since this is my commuter, not a high performance racing bike, I'm not sure how light I can really go. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

    thanks
    Don't listen to every self-proclaimed expert that happens along (probably including me ). I have a Sequoia Elite, and it is a great bike, and I have never had one problem with the Alex wheelset. Why would you upgrade now having not in fact had any problems? You would have plenty of time to upgrade should you have problems with the wheels. BTW, I have had my stock Sequoia up to 36.9 mph on the flats - so upgrading will not be for speed if you do it!
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a random question, like I said. Just curious really. It's nothing I've decided to do, but something that's been on my mind that I might want to do in the future. I definally don't want to drop several hundred dollars on a new wheelset without a good reason. So I am just looking for opinions from more experienced cyclists.

    I agree with you too, I love my elite and it's really speedy. Very fun.

  4. #4
    Senior Member skydive69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Posts
    2,258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are super all-around bikes. When I upgraded to a Roubaix Pro, I liked my Sequoia so much, that I decided to keep it, and I ride it at least once a week (out of the 6 or 7 days a week that I ride). Of course it is always fun to upgrade equipment, but for commuting, I think you have the perfect setup now.
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, I appreciate it. I really do.

  6. #6
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well how light you want to go means how much you want to spend and how much you weigh in at. Do you have a price you would like to keep it all under if you were to do this upgradE?
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really have a price in mind. I'm open to suggestions. I don't know much about wheels.

  8. #8
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sininen
    I don't really have a price in mind. I'm open to suggestions. I don't know much about wheels.
    Okay well, as lightness comes so does price so keep that in mind. I think your talking about road bikes here...
    Assuming your sub 170 or so this setup would hold out fine if your in a spendy mood.
    DT 240's front and rear hub. These are the hubs im running now on my XC bike, light and really really nice...not cheap. BUt ICYCLES is selling them for 200 front and rear on ebay.
    For rims you dont want to skimp too much, weight will be more noticed here anyways. Anything from Sun, velocity, or Mavic should do fine. Also ive heard Ambrosio has nice stuff

    ANd for spokes if you want hte best of the best then its Sapim CXray, but these are not economical for most instances since they are 2-3 dollars per spoke (And assuming we have 32h wheels and two of them you can do the math). A good alternative which keeps lightness is the DT Revolution or equivalent.

    If your not wanting to spend all the $ which i would ujnderstand why, then look at Shimano for hubs. Shimano makes good hubs for the $. But if you can get sealed bearing hubs, they will last longer
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  9. #9
    Senior Member Waxbytes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    508
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sininen
    Hi everyone. ...

    ... I've really not read much good about them at all. I haven't had any problems with mine, but it sounds like I will in the future, which makes me think about upgrading. What does everyone think?...


    I would wait until something goes wrong. I have the 2004 Sequoia Comp with Shimano 540 wheels and there are mixed reviews about them as well. I have not had any problems yet so I will wait and see if I do. Not every Alex review is a bad one, maybe you got lucky.
    Uhmm...

  10. #10
    Name's Ash ...housewares Doctor Morbius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The adult video section
    My Bikes
    Too many to list
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sininen
    Hi everyone.

    This is kind of a random question, but I've got a specialized sequoia elite, and it has Alex wheels that come stock with the bike. I do mostly commuting on it. I've read alot about Alex wheels/rims being mediocre at best, and some people hate them. I've really not read much good about them at all. I haven't had any problems with mine, but it sounds like I will in the future, which makes me think about upgrading. What does everyone think?

    If you think I should upgrade, do you have recommentations on what to upgrade to? I'd like light wheels, but since this is my commuter, not a high performance racing bike, I'm not sure how light I can really go. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

    thanks
    I have an '04 Sequoia Elite. Great all 'round bike just as Skydive says. And it's capable of getting on down the road too. I can't believe I'm going to disagree with him though. We're usually in agreement on most things. I'm all in favor of swapping out the wheelset. In fact I think that's the weak link in the Sequoia chain. Oh, and the seat! OK, two weak links.

    Anyway, I would probably look into something pretty robust and sturdy with a higher spoke count (32 to 36) for commuting or touring wheels. Wheelsets aren't my forte but I would consider something like the Mavic A719, which is a slightly wider rim but the Sequoia has clearance for them with larger diameter tires. Other choices for Mavics would be the CXP33, CXP22 and Open Pro rims. You can have these rims laced to any hub you want but I believe Sheldon Brown is probably spot on when he says that Shimano hubs offer as good of performance as boutique hubs at a fraction of the price.

    Another option is to use your current Alex ALX-295 wheels for training and get something lighter for group rides, racing or personal bests. The Open Pros tend to be a good all 'round rim that is durable if you prefer the classic styling. Many are going for the more aero look of something like the CXP33 but unless one is really scooting it won't matter beans. The OP and CXP33 are pretty decent and more race worthy than the A719.

    What I've done is I bought a couple of wheelsets (I have 3 road bikes) with Open Pro rims and 32h hubs - Ultegra on one and 105 on the other. I came very close to getting the Mavic A719 laced to 105 hubs as Performance bike had them on sale and using a 20% coupon I could have gotten them for silly cheap. They would have worked fine on the Sequoia but not on my other 2 roadbikes so I went the OP route.

    The ALX-295 wheels that came on my Sequoia are now on my '03 Allez Sport which sits in my CycleOps trainer year 'round (we don't have perfect Florida weather in Indiana like Skydive gets to enjoy! Arrggg!). The higher spoke count ALEX AT400 wheelset that came with the Allez Sport is paired up with some fat 700x38 Kenda Kwest tires (the Sequoia has enough room for these large tires but the other bikes don't) for touring and longer rides on the Sequoia and the Open Pro rims are paired with Continental Ultra 2000's for training and personal best attempts.

    Besides, it never hurts to have an extra set of wheels. Just think about this situation ... it's Saturday and you're all psyched up to go out for a ride. You've put on all your gear, filled your water bottles, grabbed your HRM and have 90 minutes to get in a good ride before Aunt Millie's coming over. You go out to your garage just to see you have a flat tire! With a second wheelset it's just a wham bam job and you're out on the road and you can fix the flat when you get home and are cooling down with an ice cold beer with Aunt Millie.
    I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk leave my cheese out in the wind. - Ed Rooney


    It's not that I'm lazy. I'm just highly motivated to RELAX!!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Doctor Morbius] I'm all in favor of swapping out the wheelset. In fact I think that's the weak link in the Sequoia chain. Oh, and the seat! OK, two weak links.


    What a coincidence: the seat was the first thing I swapped out!!

    Thanks for your opinion on the wheels, I really appreciate it.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw a 32 spoke mavic open pro wheelset at Nashbar.com for 174.95 marked down from 299.95. That's quite a mark down, is it a good wheelset? What do you all think?

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

    Thanks again
    Teresa

  13. #13
    Name's Ash ...housewares Doctor Morbius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The adult video section
    My Bikes
    Too many to list
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sininen
    I just saw a 32 spoke mavic open pro wheelset at Nashbar.com for 174.95 marked down from 299.95. That's quite a mark down, is it a good wheelset? What do you all think?

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

    Thanks again
    Teresa
    I recently bought a pair! I used a 20% off coupon on top of it too. I don't know if there is one available but there is a 10% coupon listed on this forum here ... http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=99490

    They're on my Sequoia as I type! They will need to be trued after a couple of rides though. I can tell the build quality is not too fantastic. I used the Nashbar rim strips too. For $2 a pair you can't go wrong. I have cloth rim strips on my other wheelsets but find that getting the tires on and off the rims can be a pain.


    Yeah, about that Milano saddle ... what a pain in the keister! Didn't suit me at all. It was too soft and too wide. I have a Selle Italia Trans Am ProLink on it now and it's pretty nice. I tend to like a flatter saddle. Got a deal on a last year's model closeout.
    I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk leave my cheese out in the wind. - Ed Rooney


    It's not that I'm lazy. I'm just highly motivated to RELAX!!

  14. #14
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sininen
    I just saw a 32 spoke mavic open pro wheelset at Nashbar.com for 174.95 marked down from 299.95. That's quite a mark down, is it a good wheelset? What do you all think?

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

    Thanks again
    Teresa
    Thats not bad at all. If you want to go any lighter it will cost you much more
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  15. #15
    Senior Member skydive69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Posts
    2,258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doctor Moribus and I don't disagree on this. I couldn't wait to get new wheels on mine, but I decided to buy a Roubaix Pro when I got a great deal on mine. My answer in this case was based on the useage of the bike - mostly commuting, and my theory there is, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If the original poster indicated that he was using the bike for group rides/racing or any number of sport useages, a wheel upgrade is the best thing one can do with a bike. Having said all that, I am about to do a 40 miler with my Sequoia with its Alex wheels this beautiful morning!

    Remember my original answer comes from a guy who paid $2100 for a wheel set!
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

  16. #16
    Name's Ash ...housewares Doctor Morbius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The adult video section
    My Bikes
    Too many to list
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skydive69
    Doctor Moribus and I don't disagree on this. I couldn't wait to get new wheels on mine, but I decided to buy a Roubaix Pro when I got a great deal on mine. My answer in this case was based on the useage of the bike - mostly commuting, and my theory there is, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If the original poster indicated that he was using the bike for group rides/racing or any number of sport useages, a wheel upgrade is the best thing one can do with a bike.
    I preach the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule most of the time. I seldom practice it though. I just bought an Ultegra tripple crankset for $61 last night after a 10% coupon. Going to put it on my Sequoia and sell the generic Specialized crankset on ebay.

    In the case of the original poster I was thinking that a low spoke wheelset usually isn't the best option for commuting. Then I see that it's a female type so the need to support a heavy rider probably isn't there. Of course, that was after I posted my spew. If it's an average sized female rider she doesn't really need ultra durable rims like the Mavic A719 as it would be overkill. A guy like me with excess bulk? Sure. I need all the extra support I can get.

    Having said all that, I am about to do a 40 miler with my Sequoia with its Alex wheels this beautiful morning!
    You must have stayed over at your girlfriend's last night. Isn't that where you keep it? Enjoy your ride ... on the Sequoia!

    Remember my original answer comes from a guy who paid $2100 for a wheel set!
    Oh c'mon, you probably have that much change down in the cusions of your sofa. The pilot's union is one of the most powerful organizations in the country. And on top of it your job could never be outsourced to low cost Asian labor pools! Pilots had to be filled with the domestic labor pool and it takes years and years to build up to flying a 747. You had them by the nads!
    I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk leave my cheese out in the wind. - Ed Rooney


    It's not that I'm lazy. I'm just highly motivated to RELAX!!

  17. #17
    Senior Member skydive69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Posts
    2,258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
    You must have stayed over at your girlfriend's last night. Isn't that where you keep it? Enjoy your ride ... on the Sequoia!

    Oh c'mon, you probably have that much change down in the cusions of your sofa. The pilot's union is one of the most powerful organizations in the country. And on top of it your job could never be outsourced to low cost Asian labor pools! Pilots had to be filled with the domestic labor pool and it takes years and years to build up to flying a 747. You had them by the nads!
    Actually, I keep my Roubaix and my Guru over at her place in St. Petersburg in that I typically spend about 5 days a week there. I keep the Sequoia at my place in Lake Mary, and often bring the Roubaix home if I plan to ride with the "A" group of the local club. I once brought the Guru home to show to ZackJones who was coming to the area for a business trip leading to us having a delightful ride together.

    The problem the the Airline Pilots Association is that the aholes are too powerful, and ultimately caused the demise of my company - Eastern Airlines. Can you imagine fools earning 6 figure plus incomes, incredible benefits, and typically working about three days a week being stupid enough to walk over the picket line in support of the derelicts in the machinist's union? Well they did, and destroyed their own jobs and mine, and I am happy to report that many of them wound up in bankruptcy. I was lucky enough to land a great gig as VP-Sales of a large aviation training company, and kept the 6 figures coming!

    BTW, it works just the opposite in this industry. The Asian airlines typically need to hire American pilots to staff their cockpits. For example, many of my friends went to work for EVA airlines in Taiwan earning big bucks and flying state-of-the-art glass cockpit aircraft. I had the chance to do that, but did not feel like leaving my life and friends in sunny Florida.
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

  18. #18
    Name's Ash ...housewares Doctor Morbius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The adult video section
    My Bikes
    Too many to list
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skydive69
    The problem the the Airline Pilots Association is that the aholes are too powerful, and ultimately caused the demise of my company - Eastern Airlines. Can you imagine fools earning 6 figure plus incomes, incredible benefits, and typically working about three days a week being stupid enough to walk over the picket line in support of the derelicts in the machinist's union? Well they did, and destroyed their own jobs and mine, and I am happy to report that many of them wound up in bankruptcy. I was lucky enough to land a great gig as VP-Sales of a large aviation training company, and kept the 6 figures coming!
    3 work days a week and a 6 figure income. Sounds like easy street to me. I know that take offs and landings are very stressful though. My father was a pilot for a while. He flew a B-29. Different kind of aircraft for sure.

    I wish something would happen to bring the tech and engineering jobs back to the States. I don't think the politicians and business leaders comprehend how outsourcing will negatively affect the future of our Country all in the name of saving a few bucks. Penny wise and pound foolish. It has ruined young people's desire to enter those fields of study in college for starters.

    BTW, it works just the opposite in this industry. The Asian airlines typically need to hire American pilots to staff their cockpits. For example, many of my friends went to work for EVA airlines in Taiwan earning big bucks and flying state-of-the-art glass cockpit aircraft. I had the chance to do that, but did not feel like leaving my life and friends in sunny Florida.
    I wonder if some of that isn't due to the fact that all aviation in the world has to be done in English. Pilots, Air Traffic Control, etc. all has to be English and they may not have enough qualified pilots that can do both - fly and speak/comprehend English.
    I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk leave my cheese out in the wind. - Ed Rooney


    It's not that I'm lazy. I'm just highly motivated to RELAX!!

  19. #19
    Senior Member skydive69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Posts
    2,258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
    3 work days a week and a 6 figure income. Sounds like easy street to me. I know that take offs and landings are very stressful though. My father was a pilot for a while. He flew a B-29. Different kind of aircraft for sure.

    I wish something would happen to bring the tech and engineering jobs back to the States. I don't think the politicians and business leaders comprehend how outsourcing will negatively affect the future of our Country all in the name of saving a few bucks. Penny wise and pound foolish. It has ruined young people's desire to enter those fields of study in college for starters.

    I wonder if some of that isn't due to the fact that all aviation in the world has to be done in English. Pilots, Air Traffic Control, etc. all has to be English and they may not have enough qualified pilots that can do both - fly and speak/comprehend English.
    Takeoffs and landings are not really "stressful." It is just that at that portion of the flight, something is more apt to go awry.

    I am of course sensitive to the loss of jobs by American workers, but of course there is another side to it. If I place myself in the high pressure position of being a CEO who answers to both the board of directors and the stock holders, he MUST be concerned with the bottom line. If he is not, he might find himself fired. If said CEO can save a lot of money by outsourcing, he would be fiscally irresponsible to do otherwise. Obviously moral and fiscal decisions are quite different. Should he decide to not save the money and he does not get fired, but his company goes bankrupt, no one is going to say, "Oh, you were such a great guy to save American jobs - we (the government, or whatever) are going to bail you out. It doesn't happen that way.

    The pilot job issue is more of having a large pipeline of candidates from both the military and colleges such as Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (my alma mater). Many countries do not have that kind of pipeline to supply their national airlines.
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

  20. #20
    Name's Ash ...housewares Doctor Morbius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The adult video section
    My Bikes
    Too many to list
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skydive69
    I am of course sensitive to the loss of jobs by American workers, but of course there is another side to it. If I place myself in the high pressure position of being a CEO who answers to both the board of directors and the stock holders, he MUST be concerned with the bottom line. If he is not, he might find himself fired. If said CEO can save a lot of money by outsourcing, he would be fiscally irresponsible to do otherwise. Obviously moral and fiscal decisions are quite different. Should he decide to not save the money and he does not get fired, but his company goes bankrupt, no one is going to say, "Oh, you were such a great guy to save American jobs - we (the government, or whatever) are going to bail you out. It doesn't happen that way.
    I understand that point of view but it's still short sighted as fewer and fewer people will opt to get into those fields of study. In the long run that will hurt us worse than saving a few bucks from quarter to quarter. Think of how backward our Country would be if it weren't for the industrial revolution and all of the economic and social gains that came with it. We'd still be a bunch of peasant farmers. If we lose out on the tech revolution we'll be a big zero in the global scheme of things. Personally, I don't want to see America (or myself) go backwards to where people are living like they did at the turn of the last century when so many people were survivalists. That's what's going to happen on $7 an hour service jobs. My father didn't fight in WW2 so America could have a lower standard of living.
    I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk leave my cheese out in the wind. - Ed Rooney


    It's not that I'm lazy. I'm just highly motivated to RELAX!!

  21. #21
    Senior Member skydive69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Posts
    2,258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
    I understand that point of view but it's still short sighted as fewer and fewer people will opt to get into those fields of study. In the long run that will hurt us worse than saving a few bucks from quarter to quarter. Think of how backward our Country would be if it weren't for the industrial revolution and all of the economic and social gains that came with it. We'd still be a bunch of peasant farmers. If we lose out on the tech revolution we'll be a big zero in the global scheme of things. Personally, I don't want to see America (or myself) go backwards to where people are living like they did at the turn of the last century when so many people were survivalists. That's what's going to happen on $7 an hour service jobs. My father didn't fight in WW2 so America could have a lower standard of living.
    I agree with your position 100%. My only point is that if one looks into the mindset of the typical CEO in one of today's companies - it is usually a "bottom line" mentality. Good, bad or indifferent, it is just a fact of corporate life. Who would have ever thought people would not be able to count on their pensions? They need to teach a few morality courses in our business schools. BTW, I ride with the Dean of the School Of Business of the University of South Florida, and he assures me that a moral approach to business has become part of the curiculum.
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

  22. #22
    Name's Ash ...housewares Doctor Morbius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The adult video section
    My Bikes
    Too many to list
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skydive69
    I agree with your position 100%. My only point is that if one looks into the mindset of the typical CEO in one of today's companies - it is usually a "bottom line" mentality. Good, bad or indifferent, it is just a fact of corporate life. Who would have ever thought people would not be able to count on their pensions? They need to teach a few morality courses in our business schools. BTW, I ride with the Dean of the School Of Business of the University of South Florida, and he assures me that a moral approach to business has become part of the curiculum.
    That's a long overdue course in business schools. I doubt any of the upper echelon of WorldCom, ImClone, Enron, Tyco, Enterasys, Rite Aid, Computer Associates or even Martha Stewart would actually put it to use, even if they had taken it. If there is such a place as Hell, I hope Bernie Ebbers and his ilk end up there.

    On a positive note I took out the Sequoia today too. Only did an hour's worth at 16 MPH. Oddly enough my average HR for the ride was 155 BPM or 81% of my known max, which makes it a Tempo ride. Part of that HR could be attributed to the heat though. That bike just rides so silky smooth compared to my MTB it isn't funny. Apples and oranges.
    I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk leave my cheese out in the wind. - Ed Rooney


    It's not that I'm lazy. I'm just highly motivated to RELAX!!

  23. #23
    Senior Member skydive69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Posts
    2,258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
    That's a long overdue course in business schools. I doubt any of the upper echelon of WorldCom, ImClone, Enron, Tyco, Enterasys, Rite Aid, Computer Associates or even Martha Stewart would actually put it to use, even if they had taken it. If there is such a place as Hell, I hope Bernie Ebbers and his ilk end up there.

    On a positive note I took out the Sequoia today too. Only did an hour's worth at 16 MPH. Oddly enough my average HR for the ride was 155 BPM or 81% of my known max, which makes it a Tempo ride. Part of that HR could be attributed to the heat though. That bike just rides so silky smooth compared to my MTB it isn't funny. Apples and oranges.
    Yes, those companies you allude to were the catalyst for the teaching of morality in business - they set the low standards.

    The 155 seems a bit high - that would make your maximum heart rate 191. How old are you? For example, I did an easy 40 mile spin (about a 17.5 mph average) the day before yesterday, and I averaged 113 HR.

    Below is my proposed change to your avatar!
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

  24. #24
    Name's Ash ...housewares Doctor Morbius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The adult video section
    My Bikes
    Too many to list
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skydive69
    Yes, those companies you allude to were the catalyst for the teaching of morality in business - they set the low standards.

    The 155 seems a bit high - that would make your maximum heart rate 191. How old are you? For example, I did an easy 40 mile spin (about a 17.5 mph average) the day before yesterday, and I averaged 113 HR.

    Below is my proposed change to your avatar!
    Jeeezus! Who's that loser?! It looks like some tool you'd see at a flying saucer convention in Roswell, NM! I was thinking about this pic for my next Avatar ... Tor Johnson from Plan 9 From Outer Space.

    To make a short story long ... I'm 45 as of May. I just don't have fantastic levels of aerobic ability. I'm genetically predispositioned toward fast twitch things like powerlifting or other burst activities. I used to have a 400+ lb bench press and a 500 lb deadlift. For me to bench 350 to 365 (depending on if I were using an English or metric Olympic set) for 5 sets of 5 to 6 reps wasn't much trouble. Of course, that was way back when I was 23/34 years old and was at my peak. Since then, however, I've been mostly sedentary as I've been working toward an alleged career in the computer field. I should have stayed in shape as the career went to poop.

    I started cycling in April, 2003 as I had decided that the career wasn't going to rematerialize and I needed to do something positive for myself. I've also been down with several respiratory problems since last Fall. On top of that I have asthma and allergies and suffer frequent bouts of chronic bronchitis partly due to the low humidity here in the Winter months.

    Last September, before the respiratory problems set in, I did a solo century at 142 BPM or 74.34% of MaxHR of 191. Ride time was 06:15:47 or 15.9 MPH, which doesn't include 3 rest room/water breaks. A week after that I did my best solo 50 miler at 159 BPM or 83.24% of MaxHR of 191. Total ride time was 02:56:16 or 17 MPH with no breaks. Keep in mind this was at my peak.

    So far this Spring I've not been able to do too much due to respiratory conditions and lack of consistent training. But even if this Winter's training had gone as planned, I'd still only be able to do a 50 miler at around 17 to 18 MPH tops. I know how to train. I've read numerous articles and books by the big named coaches (Burke, Charmichael, Friel), but alas, such are the best laid plans of mice and men.
    I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk leave my cheese out in the wind. - Ed Rooney


    It's not that I'm lazy. I'm just highly motivated to RELAX!!

  25. #25
    Senior Member skydive69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Posts
    2,258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
    Jeeezus! Who's that loser?! It looks like some tool you'd see at a flying saucer convention in Roswell, NM! I was thinking about this pic for my next Avatar ... Tor Johnson from Plan 9 From Outer Space.

    To make a short story long ... I'm 45 as of May. I just don't have fantastic levels of aerobic ability. I'm genetically predispositioned toward fast twitch things like powerlifting or other burst activities. I used to have a 400+ lb bench press and a 500 lb deadlift. For me to bench 350 to 365 (depending on if I were using an English or metric Olympic set) for 5 sets of 5 to 6 reps wasn't much trouble. Of course, that was way back when I was 23/34 years old and was at my peak. Since then, however, I've been mostly sedentary as I've been working toward an alleged career in the computer field. I should have stayed in shape as the career went to poop.

    I started cycling in April, 2003 as I had decided that the career wasn't going to rematerialize and I needed to do something positive for myself. I've also been down with several respiratory problems since last Fall. On top of that I have asthma and allergies and suffer frequent bouts of chronic bronchitis partly due to the low humidity here in the Winter months.

    Last September, before the respiratory problems set in, I did a solo century at 142 BPM or 74.34% of MaxHR of 191. Ride time was 06:15:47 or 15.9 MPH, which doesn't include 3 rest room/water breaks. A week after that I did my best solo 50 miler at 159 BPM or 83.24% of MaxHR of 191. Total ride time was 02:56:16 or 17 MPH with no breaks. Keep in mind this was at my peak.

    So far this Spring I've not been able to do too much due to respiratory conditions and lack of consistent training. But even if this Winter's training had gone as planned, I'd still only be able to do a 50 miler at around 17 to 18 MPH tops. I know how to train. I've read numerous articles and books by the big named coaches (Burke, Charmichael, Friel), but alas, such are the best laid plans of mice and men.
    I thought you would recognize my proposed avatar in that it is the actual, imfamous Dr. Moribus!! Perhaps you did judging by the smile.

    Wow, that was some serious lifting. I have always been the opposite - an aerobic athlete. Although I have lifted for endless years, alas, I am not genetically predisposed to those monster bench press numbers. I always had reasonably strong legs, however, and used to be able to leg extend the full Nautilus set for numerous reps.

    That is really a wonderful century! It must be really depressing dealing with respiratory issues when participating in an aerobic type activity.

    My kid lucked out in the computer field, and has a cushy job with Microsoft.
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •