Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-05, 06:29 PM   #1
Litespeed
Senior Moment
Thread Starter
 
Litespeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lakeside California
Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge
Posts: 952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bicycle license plate

Remember when you were a kid and had to buy a bicycle license plate for your bike. Do you think if we had to put them on our bikes now it would show motorist that we actual DO have a right to the road or would it just make us look dorky?
Litespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-05, 06:35 PM   #2
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It won't matter at all, motorcycles have plates and have most of the problems bicycles have. The difference is that most motorcycles can keep up with the traffic. The ones that can't have the same problems as bicycles.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-05, 09:47 PM   #3
lilHinault
.
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: .
Bikes: .
Posts: 3,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Depends if the bike license plate is one of those "custom" ones you get in a box of cheerios or at a souvenir shop that have your name on it..........
lilHinault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-05, 06:47 AM   #4
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
It won't matter at all, motorcycles have plates and have most of the problems bicycles have. The difference is that most motorcycles can keep up with the traffic. The ones that can't have the same problems as bicycles.
The root reason is that......"Size intimidates"

Bicycles are on the bottom of the food chain when it comes to vehicles that use the roads with Semi's
on the top. Everybody else is a progressively smaller fish in traffic.
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-05, 03:39 PM   #5
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Bikes:
Posts: 8,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It won't do a damn thing. Only way motorists will respect cyclists rights, if there were some serious consquences for them. Not "Oh you killed another cyclist, well it was probably his/her fault. Just don't do it again , you are free to go."
UmneyDurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-05, 06:44 PM   #6
chris_pnoy
ride like theres not 2mrw
 
chris_pnoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Baltimore MD
Bikes: Trek Bruiser 1
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Carry a shotgun with you and a sign that says "pass me and die", you'll get more respect from motorists.
chris_pnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-05, 10:51 PM   #7
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad
The root reason is that......"Size intimidates"

Bicycles are on the bottom of the food chain when it comes to vehicles that use the roads with Semi's
on the top. Everybody else is a progressively smaller fish in traffic.
Size does make a difference that's true, but I think there is another important factor.
Probably more or a problem.
A motorcycle while appearing small to a car driver is as fast as the traffic and does not slow down the car driver. That keeps the driver from being annoyed at the motorcycle. A big truck going 10 to 20 mph in the road and pulling over to let cars go by when possible, but taking the lane when it has to, makes car drivers nuts. It is in the way, and it is slow. They often react exactly the same as they would with a bicycle taking the lane at 15 mph but the truck is huge. I think the slower speed of the bicycle is the biggest factor, but when you add in that a bicycle is so small that makes it even worse. That makes the impatient driver more willing to take a risk to get by.
In any case it makes the cyclist the bottom of the food chain.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-05, 06:48 AM   #8
MikeR
Very Senior Member
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Central Pa
Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720
Posts: 1,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilHinault
Depends if the bike license plate is one of those "custom" ones you get in a box of cheerios or at a souvenir shop that have your name on it..........
I have one of those on my bike. It's a "Pa Bike Plate" that says "Mike". Cagers never notice it but I get a lot of comments from fellow cyclists on group rides. They all remember my name.

The only thing wrong is - you can't get the nice bike plates like you used to. It used to be that you could get a smaller metal plate just like the larger state tags. Now the bike plates are flat plastic and all the same color, regardless of the state. If anyone knows where to get "genuine" copies of a Pa tag, let me know.
__________________
It's better to cycle through life than to drive by it.
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-05, 07:36 AM   #9
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX
Posts: 2,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR
I have one of those on my bike. It's a "Pa Bike Plate" that says "Mike". Cagers never notice it but I get a lot of comments from fellow cyclists on group rides. They all remember my name.

The only thing wrong is - you can't get the nice bike plates like you used to. It used to be that you could get a smaller metal plate just like the larger state tags. Now the bike plates are flat plastic and all the same color, regardless of the state. If anyone knows where to get "genuine" copies of a Pa tag, let me know.
Get a piece of sheet metal, some metal paint, and a paintbrush. Go wild.
jeff-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-05, 09:07 AM   #10
jhota
blithering idiot
 
jhota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: beautiful coastal South Carolina
Bikes: 1991 Trek 930, 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2006 Nashbar "X," IRO Rob Roy
Posts: 1,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i saw the topic, and thought it was about these:

jhota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-05, 09:38 AM   #11
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While there are many other aspects that a plate can have for a "vehicle"
(which bicycles are) the main one is the collection of state fees and road
use........TAX !!

Thus far our money hungry politician haven't noticed that the numbers
of cyclist using the roads is increasing. Then there is the cost to make
and care for all those miles of trails to consider.

So quick!!!!! Before the greedy politico's see this thread.....somebody
kill it!!!!!!
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-05, 09:49 AM   #12
GP 
Senior Member
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 7,575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR
The only thing wrong is - you can't get the nice bike plates like you used to. It used to be that you could get a smaller metal plate just like the larger state tags. Now the bike plates are flat plastic and all the same color, regardless of the state. If anyone knows where to get "genuine" copies of a Pa tag, let me know.
My wife has a small California plate with her name on it. It's genuine sheet metal and looks like a CA car plate. I also got the "Seaport Village San Diego" frame at the same time..
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-05, 01:10 PM   #13
taylor8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tracy CA
Bikes: Schwinn Super Le Tour, Specialized Rockhopper 05
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are talking a real license plate, from the state, They will charge MONEY for that!! YIKES! Just about the last thing I would want would be to pay for a bike license each year. Oh, just think how nice it would be to get a ticket for riding on an expired plate.

Lets not go there, just too ugly to think about.
Joe
taylor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-05, 05:45 PM   #14
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor8
If you are talking a real license plate, from the state, They will charge MONEY for that!! YIKES! Just about the last thing I would want would be to pay for a bike license each year. Oh, just think how nice it would be to get a ticket for riding on an expired plate.

Lets not go there, just too ugly to think about.
Joe
THAT is exactly what I'm talking about.
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-05, 07:07 AM   #15
MikeR
Very Senior Member
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Central Pa
Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720
Posts: 1,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor8
If you are talking a real license plate, from the state, They will charge MONEY for that!! YIKES! Just about the last thing I would want would be to pay for a bike license each year. Oh, just think how nice it would be to get a ticket for riding on an expired plate.

Lets not go there, just too ugly to think about.
Joe
No No No God forbid! (franticly makes the sign of the cross).
I'm talking about a little metal plate with my name on it. But the plate is a copy of the official car tags complete with raised lettering and proper color scheme. Maybe Iíll take the suggestion above and make my own. It wonít be raised letters but will be the proper color scheme.
__________________
It's better to cycle through life than to drive by it.
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-05, 10:05 AM   #16
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the states of Massachusetts and Rhode Island, bicycles had real license plates in the 1950's. I have a couple. I believe they stopped registering bikes as the trouble was not worth it, possibly it ended up as a cost, and not a revenue. If anyone knows the exact reason I would love to hear it. The police enforcement probably cost more than it was worth.

Do you tax a $50 value bicycle at 10% for $5 a year? The paperwork to register the bike every year probably costs $25.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-05, 05:38 PM   #17
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
In the states of Massachusetts and Rhode Island, bicycles had real license plates in the 1950's. I have a couple. I believe they stopped registering bikes as the trouble was not worth it, possibly it ended up as a cost, and not a revenue. If anyone knows the exact reason I would love to hear it. The police enforcement probably cost more than it was worth.

Do you tax a $50 value bicycle at 10% for $5 a year? The paperwork to register the bike every year probably costs $25.
That was then. Now bicycle cost a LOT more,by comparison, and are becoming more popular again.
Back in the 50's bikes were for kids & teens. Now adults ride as a means of transportation just as
they do in the rest of the world. All of which means less road tax from cars which means that bikes
will be on the taxing plate sooner or later.
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-05, 05:42 PM   #18
vainamoinen
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that would be sweet.

put it on a trek Madone or a Litespeed or some other tricked out race ride.

And put a playing card in the spokes...

and some pegs.
vainamoinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-05, 08:45 AM   #19
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad
That was then. Now bicycle cost a LOT more,by comparison, and are becoming more popular again.
Back in the 50's bikes were for kids & teens. Now adults ride as a means of transportation just as
they do in the rest of the world. All of which means less road tax from cars which means that bikes
will be on the taxing plate sooner or later.
Used bikes don't keep their value.

There are a lot more entry level bikes than even bikes over $500.

A LOT more, so how do you select the ones to tax? The problem is the same as it ever was. Ask a bike shop how many bikes they sell and what the retail price is. Ask around about the price of a used bike. Without the lower level bikes to sell, bike shops would not be able to survive.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-05, 04:42 PM   #20
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Used bikes don't keep their value.

There are a lot more entry level bikes than even bikes over $500.

A LOT more, so how do you select the ones to tax? The problem is the same as it ever was. Ask a bike shop how many bikes they sell and what the retail price is. Ask around about the price of a used bike. Without the lower level bikes to sell, bike shops would not be able to survive.
I take it from your response that you live in a state that bases plate cost on the value of the vehicle.
My state is a flat fee for cars ,truck's etc depending on vehicle size. A "cycle" of ANY kind is $38 if
I remember right. Boat are another etc.

That said the plate fee I could expect for my BI "cycle" would be $38 this year for EACH "cycle" .

Now roll that concept around and you can see it won't matter if the "cycle" is new or ancient......the
fee would be the same. A pot of gold the politico's will find sooner or later.
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-05, 05:17 PM   #21
DCCommuter
52-week commuter
 
DCCommuter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Around here, the sales tax you pay on the purchase of a bicycle (or accessories) is far more as a percentage of the purchase price than the taxes and fees you would pay on a car over its lifetime.

Bikes are taxed much more highly than cars.
DCCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-05, 05:32 PM   #22
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCommuter
Around here, the sales tax you pay on the purchase of a bicycle (or accessories) is far more as a percentage of the purchase price than the taxes and fees you would pay on a car over its lifetime.

Bikes are taxed much more highly than cars.
Never heard of that before. Please enlighten me.

Are you saying that the sales tax rate (percentage) is higher on bicycle sales than the percentage applied to automobile/private truck purchases in your state/municipality? Or that there is no sales tax at all on auto purchases but there is for bicycle sales?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-05, 08:22 PM   #23
geeklpc1985
Senior Member
 
geeklpc1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes: 2004 Martin Novato w/ 2004 Burley Nomad
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All states had bike plates in the pass, I know some states that had them in 1999. I am a license plate collector, I know these things. Back then no respect, now no respect. We need to kick the drivers in the *** and sit them down and read them the bike section of the drivers handbook.

GEEK
geeklpc1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 08:09 AM   #24
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeklpc1985
All states had bike plates in the pass, I know some states that had them in 1999. I am a license plate collector, I know these things. Back then no respect, now no respect. We need to kick the drivers in the *** and sit them down and read them the bike section of the drivers handbook.

GEEK
Do you have any idea why they stopped having them?
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 PM.