I did a little searching on the forum, but was not too lucky with results.
I have been riding since 1989 on the road and a little off-road now and then. Here are my & my bike stats:
-- 5' 7"
-- 29" inseam
-- Club rides & rides with friends
-- 18 to 60 mile rides thru the week - nothing over 60 typically due to past knee problems
-- Avg speed typically 14 to 18 no draft or alone; 17 to 20.5 in groups or drafting
-- Typically only put in up to 2k miles in a good season
Original Saddle since 1993: Selle Italia Flite ... rode on it till mid 1999 ... lost it's comfort/padding!
Current Saddle since late 1999: Serfas
Photo of current saddle:
I pitched the Flite saddle in 1999 for the Serfas per the recommendation of my LBS. I served me well in 1999 and 2000 for about 4k miles. I only rode 400 to 500 miles since that time till this year. Now, I've put on about 650 miles this season so far. I'm putting in between 75 and 120 miles per week averaging between 14 and 18 depending on who I'm riding with.
My current problems include:
1. Having a tough time finding the "right" or "best" position in terms of riding in the middle, back, or front of the saddle for everything except climbing. It all seems to put pressure in the "middle" of my crotch. I have played with the pitch of the front of the saddle .. .mainly due to numb hands on rides over 20 miles. But, still having problems.
2. My sit bones seem to have too much pressure also ... which is why I vary where I sit on the saddle as in #1
3. No numbness -- but just quite uncomfortable in the crotch area ... not just the sit bones
Thing is, back in 99 and 00 ... I did about 2k each year and the saddle was wonderful. And, it doesn't appear to have broken-down any (i.e. the padding, etc.). And, I weigh about the same ... 168 to 172.
1. Part of me wonders if a, believe it or not, "LESS" plush saddle would be better? I remember loving my Flite saddle back when I was 145lbs back in the early to mid 90's. Of course, 30lbs extra needs a little more cushion. Should I possibly try out the newer Flit Gel saddle?
2. Should I look for "more" plush/cushion in a saddle? If so, what saddles do you recommend?
3. Please give me some ideas for good saddles that you believe may fit the bill. I have been browsing thru all my YEARS of bicycling magazines ... and I just can't seem to make a decision or find something that is actually better than what I have now.
4. What about the Terry Men's saddles? Maybe the Liberator TI Comfort or Original?
Any help or recommendations are appreciated. Just trying to be as comfy as possible. Given my new Shimano R151 shoes are causing extreme pain ... I can't handle pain from the saddle at the same time!!