Let me start by giving a little history on myself:
1. 46 y/o female with full blown osteoporosis.
2. have not ridden in MANY years.
3. never learned to shift gears.
4. have arthtitis in my hands and knees.
5. have limited flexibility
5. live in an area with some rather steep hills.
6. about 70 lbs overweight.
Requirements for bike:
1. Easy to ride.
2. Easy to mount and dismount.
3. Easy to learn to use gears.
4. Easy on the $$$.
Use of the bike:
1. Exercise & weight loss
2. Running errands (Store etc.)
3. Long range goal to use to commute to work (10- miles each way)
I have looked at several brands and models of bikes and am pretty well settled on the Giant Suede. Now I am trying to decide if I "need" the 21 speed. Originally, I figured the 7 would be best to start out and then could be upgraded later if the need arises, but much to my dismay, when comparing them at the LBS, I realized that the frames are different. The DX (21-speed) has a Knob built into the frame for the attachement of the Front Derailleur that is not present on the non-DX model.
What's eyeryone's take on this? Is there another way to add a Front Derailleur to the 7-speed? (I know we have some Giant Dealers in this Forum)
Thanks in Advance!