Originally Posted by koffee brown
All that money for health insurance...call the nurse!
Seriously, I'm glad it was not me because I too have a negative reaction to stings and there would not have been anyone available to assist me at that hour. I would have been stuck! Their is another medicine aside from benedryl that doesn't make you drowsy. I can't think of the name, maybe it is Claritain? I will check when I get home. I think it is a good idea to keep some in our bike pack in case of emergency.
Hope you feel better.
Maybe I'm just lucky, but on the three bee hits I've gotten this year, the bee has seemingly been stunned each time by the collision. Two helmet ripoffs (one just yesterday) and one jersey ripoff, and all the bees have fallen to the ground and wiggled about until their destined meeting with the Cleat Of Death.
Might help that I'm bald, so that the bees smack into a harder surface...
Hope your feeling better today. Last time I got stung it took 3 days to stop hurting. Stupidly I was touching some flowers as I rode past them. You where stung in a bad area, near the lungs/throat. That rash seems like a problem if it is happening far away from the stings. You might have a more severe reaction next time. . Since you are still alive the epi pen (below) is not going to be of help to you now.
Originally Posted by koffee brown
As far as the itch try camphophenic. It is not a cure but it is something to do that will temporarily stop the itch.
The body's natural reaction to foreign substance is to try to restrict it's spread and deal with the suspected poison a small amount at a time. It does this by the release of histamine at the site of injury or the sting. Redness and swelling result as the substance is locally retained. As the substance dissipates the swelling reduces and the site returns to normal. Over time, the body can learn that the bee venom is really no big threat and the reaction to the stings can diminish to the point of the body not over-reacting to it.
In the case of anaphylaxis there is a systemic release of histamine causing the body tissues to release histamine in the 'wrong' places. Blood vessels can dilate and cellular tissue become leaky causing a drop in blood pressure and swelling in areas of the body other than the site of the sting. If the site of swelling involves the airway, or if the blood pressure drops too much, the impact on the body can be catastrophic.
Epinephrine delivered by way of the Epipen has the effect of tightening the blood vessels, increasing the heart rate, and dilating the passages of the airway. The first two effects listed can have a serious effect on a weak heart if there is nothing basically otherwise wrong with the person except a high level of excitement, accompanied by hyper ventilation, difficulty breathing and only a local reaction to the sting. On the other hand, for someone that is in a real crisis from a fully systemic reaction, the effects are exactly what the person needs - an increase in blood pressure and a wide open airway.
The key point is the recognition of anaphylaxis as opposed to a local reaction. A great majority of doctors agree... That a heart patient over 40 years of age, in anaphylactic shock is in need their blood pressure and airway returned near normal by way of injectable epinephrine.
Also check this out:
Thanks for the info. It's still a little itchy today, but not quite as severe with the rash. I don't think the heat helps much either. I sometimes get heat rashes when the humidity is high, and lately, it's been really really hot out here, and the heat index is like 105 or so.
I HATE heat rashes! I got one once when I was much younger -say 10-15 yrs ago and to this day I cringe at the thought of them. Hubby has one now which prompted me to look up the cure online. What I found is that you can lessen your discomfort with calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream 1% -after a cool bath of course.
I just found a fourth sting today, if you can believe that (once the rash started going down). No wonder why I got the rash all the way across my stomach! This fourth one was bigger than the first three, and I was totally focused on the three on the side. So now, I have four stings to work with.
I've been taking the benedryl, which works, but it makes me sleepy. I haven't been able to get up with my alarm for my early morning rides. Crappers!
Talk about bad luck. I am the OP, the following day (Saturday) I was involved in an accident with an SUV. Whether the shirt was involved or not, it doesn't matter as it is blood covered and was cut off by the paramedics.
Benedryl is an antihistamine used for the relief of allergic reactions. You can take a non-drowsy antihistamine. You will feel better and you will be able to function-get back on your bike.
I take Claritin or the generic form Loratadine. Both are over the counter medicines. I stay away from benedryl because I have a get-up-and-go mentality. It's hard for me to stay still, indoors for too long. Benedryl is dangerous to people like us for that reason. Before I found out about the two meds I just wrote you about, I was taking benedryl for an allergic reaction, I tried to drive myself home and I almost drove straight through a red light into a major intersection 'cause I was in a doped up daydreamy stupor. Be careful with that stuff.
Yeah, I usually just take one benedryl a day. I was taking them in the afternoon, but after two days of sleeping straight through the evening and then not able to sleep at night, I switched to taking benedryl at night. But now, I can't rouse myself in the morning!
I'll get some claritin. Three stings I could handle. Four, and I'm scratching like crazy now. And this fourth sting is super big, which means the sting is probably worse than the others.
You may need to get a shot -from urgent care. 4 stings is too much for some people. I say this because about 14 years ago I was playing alongside a creek when I moved a branch and disturbed a nest -I think it was a bee nest. There must have been dozens of bees all stinging me at once! It was horrible! I itched like crazy. I got a rash all over my stomach it was sooooo itchy. My mother took me to urgent care where I was given a shot, but honestly I can't remember what it was and she isn't alive today. Anyway, my everything was back to normal with 20 minutes. The rash went away and so did the itching and discomfort. So my advice is to at least call your Dr.s nurse and tell her/him what happened and what your doing about it. The nurse can tell you if that is enough... I would do that and then I would call the county hospital and ask the nurse their too...for a second opinion. I know that is alot, but I have a $50.00 copay on my PPO for urgent care visits! So if I can get free medical advice and avoid going into the office, I'm all for it! If both nurses say I need to see the Dr. I'm there.
BTW, I took your advice and I'm getting 3 locks for my bike. 3 good ones!
I may see a doctor. I have a PPO, but I haven't transferred it yet to VA. It's still in IL. I don't know any doctors here yet, but I may email my old doctor for a referral. She was awesome, and I don't think I could go for anyone less cool or qualified than she was/is.