Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada fretman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Mounting U-lock on small bike....pics included!

    For those of you like me who have a smaller frame bike and can't mount the U-lock in the triangle...especially with a water bottle there, and can't mount it in the rear either without your legs brushing it, here is an idea that I came up with. I mounted it on my handle bar stem. Whatcha' all think.

    Now if only the release lever was in the middle then that lock would be perfectly centered and I can use the U-lock as a racing bar.

  2. #2
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add a couple of rest pads and you've got aerobars.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

  3. #3
    Senior Member KristenGilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    My Bikes
    Avanlanche 2.0 GT 2005-My second
    Posts
    113
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's clever, I never would have thought of that! I've just been locking it onto my bag.

  4. #4
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada fretman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KristenGilbert
    That's clever, I never would have thought of that! I've just been locking it onto my bag.
    Thanks...it took me awhile to figure it out.

  5. #5
    Sensible shoes. CastIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Paul,MN
    My Bikes
    A few.
    Posts
    8,799
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did that for a while. It works. Some tips: Loosen the retaining screw on the u-lock bit and and the bracket and push it down flat onto the stem. It'll be close to center. Put some pad under the contact points on the bars--little piece of black tape is ok.
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    It looks silly when you have quotes from other forum members in your signature. Nobody on this forum is that funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    Why am I in your signature.

  6. #6
    TÍte de Limace gurana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    My Bikes
    '05 Specialized Allez Sport Triple
    Posts
    1,542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Schwinn MTB I got from target has a regular frame that would allow me to put my u-lock inside the main triangle. However, I liked the way it looked better by hooking it to the seat tube and having it go into the rear triangle on the non-drive side. It took a little work, but I finally got it so that my foot did not hit it on every revolution.

    Les Douleurs de la Mort. :: Sed fugit interea fugit irreparabile tempus.

  7. #7
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada fretman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CastIron
    I did that for a while. It works. Some tips: Loosen the retaining screw on the u-lock bit and and the bracket and push it down flat onto the stem. It'll be close to center. Put some pad under the contact points on the bars--little piece of black tape is ok.

    Is this what you're referring to?

  8. #8
    Sensible shoes. CastIron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Paul,MN
    My Bikes
    A few.
    Posts
    8,799
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um no. Never thought of that option. <scratches head and ponders the shark fin> I meant in the same position only pushing it down flat to the bars with the bracket in the middle. kinda hard to explain. As you're sitting on the bike, the bracket (in the first position) would come out to the right side of your stem at about a 45* angle.
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    It looks silly when you have quotes from other forum members in your signature. Nobody on this forum is that funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    Why am I in your signature.

  9. #9
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada fretman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CastIron
    Um no. Never thought of that option. <scratches head and ponders the shark fin> I meant in the same position only pushing it down flat to the bars with the bracket in the middle. kinda hard to explain. As you're sitting on the bike, the bracket (in the first position) would come out to the right side of your stem at about a 45* angle.
    Do you mean that the bracket slot would not be centered but at a 45 degree mounted angle. And then I can mount the U-lock and have it perfectly centered? I'll post another pic tomorrow to see if I'm doing it correctly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •