Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its aluminum and carbon fiber frame yield a weight of only 1500 pounds.

    Its aerodynamic shape gives it a coefficient of drag of only 0.20cd. (Can someone provide something we can compare this to?)

    It has an intentionally sparse interior that exposes the frame of the vehicle, much like a bicycle's frame is exposed.

    It gets approximately 95 miles per gallon (or 40km/l)

    It looks cool too!



    http://world.honda.com/Tokyo2003/auto/imas/

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice car. You probably would need to take out a second mortgage for it and insurance payments on that would be through the roof. Otherwise, it's a nice car.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
    Nice car. You probably would need to take out a second mortgage for it and insurance payments on that would be through the roof. Otherwise, it's a nice car.
    I don't know... it is probable that Honda won't release it stateside for several years (I could be wrong) but their Insight vehicle is very similar:

    1850 pounds, aluminum construction, 65mpg. Insurance for me for 6 months is $832.90. Invoice on an Insight is $20,000 or so.

    One point worth mentioning is that I heard Honda is actually losing money on the Insight. I don't know what that means for the sales of the IMAS if they sell it in the USA... they may accept a loss on that car as well.

  4. #4
    Senior Member JBehrmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    My Bikes
    '05 Kona Kikapu, '04 Kona Jake. Really damn old Miyata 10 speed converted to singlespeed
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakemoffatt
    I don't know... it is probable that Honda won't release it stateside for several years (I could be wrong) but their Insight vehicle is very similar:

    1850 pounds, aluminum construction, 65mpg. Insurance for me for 6 months is $832.90. Invoice on an Insight is $20,000 or so.

    One point worth mentioning is that I heard Honda is actually losing money on the Insight. I don't know what that means for the sales of the IMAS if they sell it in the USA... they may accept a loss on that car as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda's Press Release
    Concept Vehicle Stage

    Honda will present its ideas for the future in a lineup of intriguing concept vehicles: the HSC which offers the driving pleasure of a sports car in a package that anyone can handle; the IMAS, a lightweight aerodynamic hybrid sports car...
    This isn't an actual car, and won't be for sale ever. It looks interesting though I couldn't get excited about driving with an exposed frame. Get in an accident and it would likely mess you up that much worse.

  5. #5
    2 Wheel Junkie
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does look like an Insight. Funny, I just saw an Insight on the freeway today that was going in excess of 80mph. It tried to pace it, but I stopped after a certain point.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclon
    It does look like an Insight. Funny, I just saw an Insight on the freeway today that was going in excess of 80mph. It tried to pace it, but I stopped after a certain point.
    What, were you on your bike or something?

  7. #7
    BOATS AND HOES! Medpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Phoenix / Afghanistan
    My Bikes
    Madone
    Posts
    664
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakemoffatt
    Its aerodynamic shape gives it a coefficient of drag of only 0.20cd. (Can someone provide something we can compare this to?)
    That's pretty aero. I remember the Honda CRX having a CD of around .29

  8. #8
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakemoffatt
    I don't know... it is probable that Honda won't release it stateside for several years (I could be wrong) but their Insight vehicle is very similar:

    1850 pounds, aluminum construction, 65mpg. Insurance for me for 6 months is $832.90. Invoice on an Insight is $20,000 or so.

    One point worth mentioning is that I heard Honda is actually losing money on the Insight. I don't know what that means for the sales of the IMAS if they sell it in the USA... they may accept a loss on that car as well.
    That's pretty light. The mclaren F1's about 350 lbs heavier but it seats 3, gets around 20mpg, and has a 620bhp V12 with an aero coeff of 0.3.

  9. #9
    Al noisebeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
    Posts
    13,893
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2nd generation Toyota Prius has a .26 Cd

    The Honda Insight has a .25 Cd.

    These are some of the lowest for production cars.

    Al

  10. #10
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBehrmann
    This isn't an actual car, and won't be for sale ever. It looks interesting though I couldn't get excited about driving with an exposed frame. Get in an accident and it would likely mess you up that much worse.
    It's most likely not passive bodywork on a tube-frame, that's old-school 1970s stuff. Looks like monocoque construction which yields the highest strenght-to-weight ratio. Probably uses aluminium for bolt-on attachment points for engine, bumpers, suspension, seats, etc and carbon-fibre to connect those alloy pieces. Similar to the Mclaren or Enzo construction methods.

  11. #11
    Senior Member JBehrmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    My Bikes
    '05 Kona Kikapu, '04 Kona Jake. Really damn old Miyata 10 speed converted to singlespeed
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
    It's most likely not passive bodywork on a tube-frame, that's old-school 1970s stuff. Looks like monocoque construction which yields the highest strenght-to-weight ratio. Probably uses aluminium for bolt-on attachment points for engine, bumpers, suspension, seats, etc and carbon-fibre to connect those alloy pieces. Similar to the Mclaren or Enzo construction methods.
    I just like having something between me and the part of the car that would absorb energy from an impact. Even crate paper would be nice, then I wouldn't have to look at it and worry about crumple fragments flying into my eyes

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hoping this will become the new honda insight..

    Quote Originally Posted by jakemoffatt
    Its aluminum and carbon fiber frame yield a weight of only 1500 pounds.

    Its aerodynamic shape gives it a coefficient of drag of only 0.20cd. (Can someone provide something we can compare this to?)

    It has an intentionally sparse interior that exposes the frame of the vehicle, much like a bicycle's frame is exposed.

    It gets approximately 95 miles per gallon (or 40km/l)

    It looks cool too!



    http://world.honda.com/Tokyo2003/auto/imas/

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slvoid
    That's pretty light. The mclaren F1's about 350 lbs heavier but it seats 3, gets around 20mpg, and has a 620bhp V12 with an aero coeff of 0.3.
    If you are saying the F1 is heavier than an Insight... just think of what you could do with this car...

    You could put a nice turboed Hayabusa engine in it... like they did:

    http://zcars.org.uk/ultima/index.htm

    They put dual Hayabusa motorcycle engines in a (finished weight) 980KG car for a BHP of 1000.

    So I'm assuming you could pull 500BHP out of one engine?

    I don't know how much those engines weigh but we could say 500lbs (They go in motorcycles, this is probably way over the actual weight).

    So remove about 300 lbs from your base of 1500lbs for the stock engine, and add 500lbs, and you have an 1800lb vehicle with 500bhp and a cd of 0.20. Freakin insane. Of course, you would have to make some other adjustments as well, like adding some really awesome brakes, and you'd probably need a non-stock transmission. Well... you'd also need an electric motor in there so you could go in reverse.

    But that's pretty crazy potential for a mad-crazy-fast vehicle. Almost or better than F1 specs at probably half to a third or quarter of the price.

    But that would require someone who had a clue about autos and what they were doing. Not me.

    Oh... and some money.

    And I forgot... that would also kind of destroy the whole point of this vehicle: to get insane crazy gas mileage.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll bet it has a sealed undercarriage.

  15. #15
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakemoffatt
    You could put a nice turboed Hayabusa engine in it... like they did:
    And the mclaren would be comfortable, safe, seat more, handle better, and not kill me.

  16. #16
    Gravel for Breakfast
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Inside my scabs
    My Bikes
    Jake
    Posts
    1,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Honda company actually started out with bicycles.

    Therefore, ALL of their cars have been designed after a bicycle.

    (Just looking for trouble.)
    Sin after sin I have endured, but the wounds I bear are the wounds of love.

  17. #17
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I don't know how much those engines weigh but we could say 500lbs (They go in motorcycles, this is probably way over the actual weight)."

    Stock Busa motor weighs about 175lbs... Add about 50-lbs for the extra plumbing of turbos.

  18. #18
    2 Wheel Junkie
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakemoffatt
    What, were you on your bike or something?
    Of course I was on my bike. I was drafting behind the Insight! hahaha




    Naw, I was driving my car.

  19. #19
    2 Wheel Junkie
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakemoffatt
    So remove about 300 lbs from your base of 1500lbs for the stock engine, and add 500lbs, and you have an 1800lb vehicle with 500bhp and a cd of 0.20. Freakin insane.

    But that's pretty crazy potential for a mad-crazy-fast vehicle. Almost or better than F1 specs at probably half to a third or quarter of the price.
    There is the Ariel Atom. Not the most aerodynamic, but that thing is fast with it's great power to weight ratio. Weighs 456kg and has a Honda 1.8L VTEC engine. 220BHP.

    Rumor has it, it's going to be sold in the US and may come with a 2.4L engine.

  20. #20
    You know you want to. Eatadonut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Norman, Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB
    Posts
    1,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakemoffatt
    Its aerodynamic shape gives it a coefficient of drag of only 0.20cd. (Can someone provide something we can compare this to?)


    It gets approximately 95 miles per gallon (or 40km/l)

    BMW put together a turbodeisel that has a drag coeff. of .14. It moves pretty well, and gets about 90 mpg.

    They have no plans to release it. Just proving that they can do gas milage too, they just dun wanna.
    Weather today: Hot. Humid. Potholes.

  21. #21
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclon
    There is the Ariel Atom. Not the most aerodynamic, but that thing is fast with it's great power to weight ratio. Weighs 456kg and has a Honda 1.8L VTEC engine. 220BHP.

    Rumor has it, it's going to be sold in the US and may come with a 2.4L engine.
    Then there's the Lotus Elise and Exige. I did the 2001 OTC where there was a Lotus Elise and 340R. They kicked butt!!! I would imagine the Exige can offer Ferrari-F40/Enzo levels of performance...

  22. #22
    Senior Member JBehrmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    My Bikes
    '05 Kona Kikapu, '04 Kona Jake. Really damn old Miyata 10 speed converted to singlespeed
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclon
    There is the Ariel Atom. Not the most aerodynamic, but that thing is fast with it's great power to weight ratio. Weighs 456kg and has a Honda 1.8L VTEC engine. 220BHP.

    Rumor has it, it's going to be sold in the US and may come with a 2.4L engine.
    How would that come close to passing even 10% of American safety requirements. Don't get me wrong, seeing the Atom in the USA would be awesome, but if it did make it I doubt it would be the same car.

  23. #23
    2 Wheel Junkie
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBehrmann
    How would that come close to passing even 10% of American safety requirements. Don't get me wrong, seeing the Atom in the USA would be awesome, but if it did make it I doubt it would be the same car.
    Perhaps it will be limited to track use only? I dunno. Or perhaps it'll come into the States as a "kit car"??

  24. #24
    Happy cat. badcompany9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by konageezer
    The Honda company actually started out with bicycles.

    Therefore, ALL of their cars have been designed after a bicycle.

    (Just looking for trouble.)
    Actually, Honda originally made engines that were installed onto bike frames, not bicycles themselves.
    Needed: Cheap Shimano right-hand 9 speed STI shifter, I broke mine and I need one that works to shift. :(

  25. #25
    Senior Member edp773's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Illinios
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Posts
    1,143
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 1985 Honda CRX HI got 51 MPG. It used less gas than my Honda motorcycle. The motorcycle only got 44 MPG. Some impressive technology for 1985.
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

    Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •