Originally Posted by NYCBM
What i dont understand is why smokers quit after smoking for so many years... Have'nt the damage already been done(black lungs). It's not like your lungs will repair itself. Or will it?????
Anyone care to educate me?
At 20 minutes after quitting:
* blood pressure decreases
* pulse rate drops
* body temperature of hands and feet increases.
At 8 hours:
* carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal
* oxygen level in blood increases to normal
At 24 hours:
* chance of a heart attack decreases
At 48 hours:
* nerve endings start regrowing
* ability to smell and taste improve
At 2 weeks to 3 months:
* circulation improves
* walking becomes easier
* lung function increases
At 1 Year smoke free:
* excess risk of coronary heart disease is decreased to half that of a smoker
At 5 years:
* from 5 to 15 years after quitting, stroke risk is reduced to that of people who have never smoked.
At 10 years:
* risk of lung cancer drops to as little as one-half that of continuing smokers
* risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas decreases
* risk of ulcer decreases
At 15 years:
* risk of coronary heart disease is now similar to that of people who have never smoked
* risk of death returns to nearly the level of people who have never smoked
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.