Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   So what do you carry? (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/139390-so-what-do-you-carry.html)

xspace 09-17-05 07:25 AM

So what do you carry?
 
So...what do you guys carry in those little under-the-seat pouches?

Some kind of tire repair kit, sure...don't want to have to walk the bike back, but what else? A spare tube? One of those high-tech multi-tools? Do you really need one of those on the road? Aren't they screaming out to be stolen? What about a pump? How are those cool-looking little CO2 gadgets?

I found a lite bike-lock I can live with, the Kryptonite Kryptogrip. About $20, and about as light and compact as I've seen (wouldn't trust it in the city though.)

Finally...bikes no longer come with kickstands, it seems. Other than very carefully leaning your bike up against something, how do you keep it from um...falling over? Remember the "flickstand"? (Still have one on my old, beloved Vista Espada which I'm now having restored by my local LBS to use as my "loaner.")

Thanks,

Hal

Retro Grouch 09-17-05 08:00 AM

Generally I just carry my wallet and enough stuff to fix a flat tire. I can't remember the last time that I rode someplace where I felt I needed to lock my bike. If you lay your bike down on it's side, it can't fall over.

The more stuff that you carry with you the more it makes you worry about what you didn't bring and you might need. The weight of your seat bag and the burden of worry on your shoulders both continue to grow.

freeranger 09-17-05 08:46 AM

Chain tool, SRAM powerlink, extra links of chain, Seal-A-Flate (or something like that-basically Fix-a-Flat in a bicycle sized can), multi-tool, and ibuprofen. Haven't really looked in there lately, but I think that is about it. It's enough to get me through most problems. I put my wallet in the seat pouch, feel safer than leaving it in my vehicle. I don't live in an area where there are opportunities for "epic" length rides, or I would be adding to the list.

JRF 09-17-05 10:08 AM

Spare change, plastic bag, lock, all-purpose tool, cell phone. I used to carry a tube patch kit but the cell phone has replaced that. I have not had to use the cell phone yet. I was hit by a truck a few year ago but walked home 3 miles with the bike on my shoulders because I didn't want to alarm anyone.

eubi 09-17-05 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xspace
Remember the "flickstand"? (Still have one on my old, beloved Vista Espada which I'm now having restored by my local LBS to use as my "loaner.")

Hahaha. I bought a flickstand when they first came out. The wire was really thin. I welded two struts on it to stiffen it and it worked much better. Later models had thicker wire.

I carry so much stuff on my commute...PM me and I'll send you the book...

:D

DannoXYZ 09-17-05 11:21 AM

I carry enough tools so I can completely disassemble my bike down to the last nut & bolt on the side of the road... then put it all back together again..

KeithA 09-17-05 11:28 AM

Things I carry on every ride include CO2 cartridges, patch kit, spare tube, some money, and tire levers.

On longer rides, I try to carry an ID and cell phone.

Eatadonut 09-17-05 11:39 AM

patch kit, 2 tire levers, spare tube, keys, driver's license, $5 (or $10 if payday was recent!), cell phone, 5mm hex wrench.

msparks 09-17-05 12:31 PM

I carry a folded up $5 bill. Never know. Also tube, levers, CO2, tube, and patch kit.

CummingsSM 09-17-05 02:49 PM

Tube, patch kit, tire levers and multi-tool.

Pump is zip-tied to the frame. Lock has a plastic mounting bracket on the seatpost.

My girlfriend only rides with me, so her bag only holds a spare tube (hers is schrader, mine is presta and thinner).

xspace 09-17-05 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CummingsSM
Tube, patch kit, tire levers and multi-tool.

Pump is zip-tied to the frame. Lock has a plastic mounting bracket on the seatpost.

Why do you zip-tie the pump to the frame instead of using some kind of bracket? Is that so no one can walk off with it easily?

Hal

Dang 09-18-05 10:16 AM

I have pretty much what has been mentioned....cept velcro strips. I use them to clamp the brake lever so my bike wont move while I have it leaning against a wall or tree. Very handy.

af895 09-18-05 11:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xspace
So...what do you guys carry in those little under-the-seat pouches?

Some kind of tire repair kit, sure...don't want to have to walk the bike back, but what else? A spare tube? One of those high-tech multi-tools? Do you really need one of those on the road? Aren't they screaming out to be stolen? What about a pump? How are those cool-looking little CO2 gadgets?

I found a lite bike-lock I can live with, the Kryptonite Kryptogrip. About $20, and about as light and compact as I've seen (wouldn't trust it in the city though.)

Finally...bikes no longer come with kickstands, it seems. Other than very carefully leaning your bike up against something, how do you keep it from um...falling over? Remember the "flickstand"? (Still have one on my old, beloved Vista Espada which I'm now having restored by my local LBS to use as my "loaner.")

Thanks,

Hal

A wedge bag wasn't holding all the stuff I wanted to carry so I found a saddle-loop bag.

- slim wallet w/palm pilot/ID&ATM cards (Palm dealio has a bunch of e-books for killin' time in parks and such - current reads: "Around the World on a Bicycle vol.1" and Thoreau's "Walden"
- digital camera
- spare tube in a metal tin to prevent damage
- patch kit (the glue type)
- a spoke wrench in with the patch kit
- two tiny, folding plastic tire irons
- assorted zip-ties
- spare chain-link & spare SRAM Powerlink
- Nato lifeboat matches (waterproof)
- mini chain tool, adjustable wrench, Allen wrench set, digital tire gauge
- tiny multi-tool w/LED light, pliers, screwdrivers, wire cutter (this is next to useless except for the screwdrivers)
- Park glueless patch kit (one use: the little plastic case holds a 25-cent coin perfectly ;)
- Western Union free Long Distance phone voucher (for emergency calls from a payphone)
- mini-Sharpie indellible marker

- snack food/energy gels/bars, gorp etc
On the front bottle cage: an SKS Wese pump (tiny, good to 140psi)
I feel nekkid without any of that stuff.

My bike came with a kick stand.

samp02 09-18-05 06:16 PM

2 tubes
1 Patch kit
3 CO2 cartridges
1 CO2 pump
1 torelli mini pump
3 tire levers
1 CB speed lever
2 $1 dollar bills. Copy of Lic. and health card

Retro Grouch 09-18-05 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by af895
A wedge bag wasn't holding all the stuff I wanted to carry so I found a saddle-loop bag.

- slim wallet w/palm pilot/ID&ATM cards (Palm dealio has a bunch of e-books for killin' time in parks and such - current reads: "Around the World on a Bicycle vol.1" and Thoreau's "Walden"
- digital camera
- spare tube in a metal tin to prevent damage
- patch kit (the glue type)
- a spoke wrench in with the patch kit
- two tiny, folding plastic tire irons
- assorted zip-ties
- spare chain-link & spare SRAM Powerlink
- Nato lifeboat matches (waterproof)
- mini chain tool, adjustable wrench, Allen wrench set, digital tire gauge
- tiny multi-tool w/LED light, pliers, screwdrivers, wire cutter (this is next to useless except for the screwdrivers)
- Park glueless patch kit (one use: the little plastic case holds a 25-cent coin perfectly ;)
- Western Union free Long Distance phone voucher (for emergency calls from a payphone)
- mini-Sharpie indellible marker

- snack food/energy gels/bars, gorp etc
On the front bottle cage: an SKS Wese pump (tiny, good to 140psi)
I feel nekkid without any of that stuff.

My bike came with a kick stand.

Thanks. You proved my point.

af895 09-18-05 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Thanks. You proved my point.

"It is desirable that a man be clad so simply...and that he live in all respects so compactly and preparedly that, if an enemy take the town, he can, like the old philosopher, walk out the gate empty-handed without anxiety."

- from Thoreau's "Walden"

I don't "worry" about it being there because it's always attached to the seat. Minus the camera and wallet, it all fits in a small wedge.

If I have a breakdown without the toolkit, it's likely going to be a long walk or money spent to get home. I don't have money to spend on cab fare nor do I carry a cell phone so the mini tool kit is a sound investment.

Do whatever's right for you.

Don't presume you know me or my motives.

redmonster 09-18-05 11:12 PM

Ive got a;

-tube
-multi-tool
-levers
-wallet
-and phone

Lectron 09-19-05 03:16 AM

-tube
-CO2 pump
-tire levers

for long rides I add:

-Phone
-1 extra CO2 cartridge or Blackburn framepump
-1 extra tube
-Credit card

Always travel light. Never liked the extra dead weight.

gapowermike 09-19-05 05:10 AM

I've got two that don't appear to be on the list so far. A schrader to presta converter and a box of raisins.

MTC

Walkafire 09-19-05 06:02 AM

Multi tool
Cresent Wrench
Presta/Shraeder adaptor
Spare Tube
Patch kit
CO2 Inflator
2 CO2 Cartridges
Air Pressure Gauge
Shimano Chain pins (2)
Anything else I need is in the Left side Pannier

Bigmark 09-19-05 07:53 AM

Click on My Cycling Page link at the bottom of this, I have detailed what I carry and where I carry it. Also I have write ups for all improvements.

xspace 09-19-05 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by af895
Palm dealio has a bunch of e-books for killin' time in parks and such - current reads: "Around the World on a Bicycle vol.1" and Thoreau's "Walden"

"Walden"? Eeeewww...

truman 09-19-05 01:45 PM

All rides:
Spare tube
Vulcanizing patch kit.
Crank Bros. Multitool
Ritchey CPR tool (with chain breaker)
Tire lever
Schraeder/Presta adapter
Blackburn mini pump with several turns of duct tape around pump body.
Sram powerlink and two extra links of chain
Clear bug glasses
ID, insurance card, 2 quarters for a phone call and a few singles for incidentals/forgotten train fare.

Commute only:
Books
Nanner
Digital Camera - occasionally
4 "AA" Batteries
Cable lock

MTB only
Camelbak
Sustenance

dailyrider 09-19-05 03:04 PM

tube
tire levers
C-wrench
screwdriver
Gideon's new testament
pliers for disconnecting shift cable

CastIron 09-19-05 03:20 PM

Same as most. Two differences: Always electrical tape. It's too handy in too many ways for not much space/weight. And I stuff cash in my handlebars for emergencies. Outta sight/mind, but always there, safely.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 PM.