Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-24-05, 07:14 AM   #1
cydewaze
Emondafied
Thread Starter
 
cydewaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Maryland
Bikes: See sig
Posts: 4,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My buddy just opened up his own bike shop!

I consider myself very fortunate to have a really great LBS that's less than one mile away from me (as the crow flies). They do good work, and stock some pretty nice brands. In fact I got Jess's bike from them.

Recently, I noticed a bit of a change in staff. The owner is usually there, as usual, but there was one guy who seemed to be the second in command, who I haven't seen in a while. He's a VERY cool guy, and always humored me when I went in to shoot the breeze or waste time drooling over stuff. I figured he was just away for the holidays or something, until last night.

Jess and I were out to dinner with a friend, and we noticed a bike shop where there hadn't been one before. Our friend (who lives closer to there than we do) said it had just opened up. So after dinner I poked my head in, lo and behold it was the second in command guy from the other LBS. He hasn't been around the other LBS because he opened up his own! It's a nice place, and so far it's full of Specialized, but he should be getting more brands in soon.

So now we have a dilemma over who to buy from. Our LBS is a lot closer (the new one is 30-40 min away) but we'd also like to help the new guy get his business going. Maybe I'll get Jess to test-ride a Ruby when we upgrade her bike.
__________________

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
cydewaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-05, 08:42 AM   #2
610
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois
Bikes: Kona Hoss Deluxe, Rans Tailwind, KHS Solo One SE
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try the new store and help the guy out.

I've thought about possibly opening a LBS many times but it is so difficult! It would probably be easier to open a restaurant.

Here in Chicagoland we really need a LBS that specializes in fixed gear/single speed stuff - all those shops are in Chicago - which is not a problem most of the time but gas ain't cheap you know?
610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-05, 11:11 AM   #3
cydewaze
Emondafied
Thread Starter
 
cydewaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Maryland
Bikes: See sig
Posts: 4,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yeah, I can imagine.

The new shop had a Specialized SS/fixed model that I'd not seen before. It was flat black, and had a reversable rear wheel. Can't remember what it was called though.
__________________

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
cydewaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-05, 11:25 AM   #4
zaphodbeeblebro
x
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Bikes: inbred, GT, dean
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydewaze
Yeah, I can imagine.

The new shop had a Specialized SS/fixed model that I'd not seen before. It was flat black, and had a reversable rear wheel. Can't remember what it was called though.
langster?
zaphodbeeblebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-05, 12:10 PM   #5
Guest
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 610
Try the new store and help the guy out.

I've thought about possibly opening a LBS many times but it is so difficult! It would probably be easier to open a restaurant.

Here in Chicagoland we really need a LBS that specializes in fixed gear/single speed stuff - all those shops are in Chicago - which is not a problem most of the time but gas ain't cheap you know?
Have you been to Yojimbo's Garage on N. Clybourn yet? That's a lot of his business.

Koffee
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-05, 12:46 PM   #6
cydewaze
Emondafied
Thread Starter
 
cydewaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Maryland
Bikes: See sig
Posts: 4,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphodbeeblebro
langster?
Yep! It was this one:

__________________

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
cydewaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-05, 01:17 PM   #7
610
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois
Bikes: Kona Hoss Deluxe, Rans Tailwind, KHS Solo One SE
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koffee brown
Have you been to Yojimbo's Garage on N. Clybourn yet? That's a lot of his business.

Koffee
Been to Yojimbos but it cost me $10 gas just to get there (my crap box needs to be overhauled). Suburbia mostly sucks. Mostly Trek -> Raleigh -> Giant -> Rinse & Repeat.
610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-05, 02:08 PM   #8
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon
 
FarHorizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Directly above the center of the earth
Bikes: Varies by day
Posts: 3,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I buy from my favorite LBS unless I need something they don't have or can't get. Then I'll deal with anyone. If there's enough population to support both shops, then you needn't worry about who you do business with. If they're both competent business people, and they've located where there is sufficient business for the both of them, they'll both succeed.

Unfortunately, many bike shop owners aren't business people first. If that is the case, then the opening of the second shop may cause enough of a business decline at the first that one (or both!) of the shops may end up closing. If that is the case, then do ALL your business with the shop you want to succeed (and DON'T try to have them cut you price breaks - they need the profit to stay in business - especially NOW).

Business is Darwinian. The fittest survive, and those that can't change die. Over time businesses adapt to their environments (and to their customers) or they don't survive and grow. I saw a small town bike shop that also carried sidewalk surfboards one year, and roller skates (but no more boards) the next. I asked the owner why - he said he carried what the local trends required. HIS SHOP SURVIVES!

As a customer, your patronage has a large part in determining whose shop stays in business and whose doesn't. Choose wisely.
FarHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-05, 04:31 PM   #9
Guest
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 610
Been to Yojimbos but it cost me $10 gas just to get there (my crap box needs to be overhauled). Suburbia mostly sucks. Mostly Trek -> Raleigh -> Giant -> Rinse & Repeat.
Did you ask if you can get stuff ordered? There hasn't been anything I've been in need of that I couldn't get from him.

Koffee
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-05, 08:36 PM   #10
Phatman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NC
Bikes:
Posts: 3,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydewaze
I consider myself very fortunate to have a really great LBS that's less than one mile away from me (as the crow flies). They do good work, and stock some pretty nice brands. In fact I got Jess's bike from them.

Recently, I noticed a bit of a change in staff. The owner is usually there, as usual, but there was one guy who seemed to be the second in command, who I haven't seen in a while. He's a VERY cool guy, and always humored me when I went in to shoot the breeze or waste time drooling over stuff. I figured he was just away for the holidays or something, until last night.

Jess and I were out to dinner with a friend, and we noticed a bike shop where there hadn't been one before. Our friend (who lives closer to there than we do) said it had just opened up. So after dinner I poked my head in, lo and behold it was the second in command guy from the other LBS. He hasn't been around the other LBS because he opened up his own! It's a nice place, and so far it's full of Specialized, but he should be getting more brands in soon.

So now we have a dilemma over who to buy from. Our LBS is a lot closer (the new one is 30-40 min away) but we'd also like to help the new guy get his business going. Maybe I'll get Jess to test-ride a Ruby when we upgrade her bike.

so wheres the new shop? I'm in columbia, MD now for winter break, I'll check it out...
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-05, 09:16 PM   #11
cydewaze
Emondafied
Thread Starter
 
cydewaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Maryland
Bikes: See sig
Posts: 4,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman
so wheres the new shop? I'm in columbia, MD now for winter break, I'll check it out...
It's called the Bicycle Escape. 1700 Kingfisher Dr. #18, Frederick, MD. 301-663-0007.
They even have a website.
http://thebicycleescape.com/
__________________

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
cydewaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-05, 09:56 PM   #12
610
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois
Bikes: Kona Hoss Deluxe, Rans Tailwind, KHS Solo One SE
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koffee brown
Did you ask if you can get stuff ordered? There hasn't been anything I've been in need of that I couldn't get from him.

Koffee
Yeah, Marcus can't take credit card payments over the phone.
610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-05, 03:29 PM   #13
slide
Riding a bitsa
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 610
Yeah, Marcus can't take credit card payments over the phone.
Huh? Anybody can take cc orders in email, phone, whatever. Something is strange here.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-05, 05:45 PM   #14
Guest
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 610
Yeah, Marcus can't take credit card payments over the phone.
No no no. I meant, go in, tell him what you want, and he'll get it. I've gotten plenty of components and ordered it through him.

Koffee
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-05, 07:31 PM   #15
Rev.Chuck
The Red Lantern
 
Rev.Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Raleigh NC
Bikes:
Posts: 5,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would hope that if I started my own shop and a longtime customer saw my shop they would give me a shot.
It would be wrong for me to "steal" customers by direct advertising to them but if they found me, it would be different.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Rev.Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-05, 02:42 AM   #16
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler
 
fmw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
Huh? Anybody can take cc orders in email, phone, whatever. Something is strange here.
Anyone may but may not want to. Chargebacks on a sale with the customer signature are on the bank. Chargebacks without one are on the merchant. We take all of our credit card sales by phone or internet. We pay all the chargebacks. That's the reason.
__________________
Fred
A tour of my stable of bicycles
fmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-05, 02:43 AM   #17
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler
 
fmw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Chuck
It would be wrong for me to "steal" customers by direct advertising to them but if they found me, it would be different.
One can't really steal customers. Customers have free will. One can only compete for them.
__________________
Fred
A tour of my stable of bicycles
fmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-05, 07:24 AM   #18
slide
Riding a bitsa
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmw
Anyone may but may not want to. Chargebacks on a sale with the customer signature are on the bank. Chargebacks without one are on the merchant. We take all of our credit card sales by phone or internet. We pay all the chargebacks. That's the reason.
OK, but the poster said "can't" which is all I said was wrong.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:37 AM.