Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-06, 06:34 PM   #1
mcoine
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 2,631
Who makes the best hubs?

Thats it.
mcoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 07:08 PM   #2
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon
 
FarHorizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Directly above the center of the earth
Bikes: Varies by day
Posts: 3,856
For what purpose? Offroad - road racing - touring - commuting - BMX - Single-Speed - what?
FarHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 07:10 PM   #3
mcoine
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
For what purpose? Offroad - road racing - touring - commuting - BMX - Single-Speed - what?
0k fine..lets say mountain.
mcoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 07:32 PM   #4
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,363
Cost considerations aside, I'd pick Chris King for mountain bike hubs. My son has had a King Disco Tech rear hub on his Intense for around 5 years with no issues what-so-ever and he gives the components on that bike a real good test.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 07:52 PM   #5
MattP.
Obeying Gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bellingham, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Cost considerations aside, I'd pick Chris King for mountain bike hubs. My son has had a King Disco Tech rear hub on his Intense for around 5 years with no issues what-so-ever and he gives the components on that bike a real good test.
yeah aside form the cost, I've heard nothing but awesome reviews about CK hubs.
MattP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 09:47 PM   #6
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Cost considerations aside, I'd pick Chris King for mountain bike hubs. My son has had a King Disco Tech rear hub on his Intense for around 5 years with no issues what-so-ever and he gives the components on that bike a real good test.
Beyond that, for half the price with a slight quality drop you also have Hope and Hayes as very good contenders
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 09:47 PM   #7
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERTON
campagnolo
For mountain? Really...never heard of them
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 10:01 PM   #8
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 11,600
I don't know about "best", that has yet to be invented. I'm envisioning something with mag-lev non-contact bearings. You can ride it in the rain without worry and without re-packing afterwards.

However, pretty much ALL of the hubs on the market are identical as far as performance goes. Some are lighter than others, some are more durable and will outlive the lifetime of its owner, some others look better, some are re-configurable to take both Shimano and Campy cogs, some cost more, some cost less. "Best" is a darn hard quality to quantify...
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 10:43 PM   #9
mcoine
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
For mountain? Really...never heard of them
campy made mtb hubs.. a whole group in fact.. they might still. can't remember the name now.
mcoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 10:46 PM   #10
mcoine
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoine
campy made mtb hubs.. a whole group in fact.. they might still. can't remember the name now.
I got it, Euclid was the mtb group by campy
mcoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 11:23 PM   #11
56/12 and 22/28
Stop it.
 
56/12 and 22/28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Weight Weenie-land.
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Hardrock Pro w/ slicks, flipped stem and HB, 2003 Colnago Dream with full Dura-Ace 7700 double, 2001 Bianchi XL Boron/Daytona, Mavic Open Pro/Campy Centaur/DT Champion built wheels.
Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoine
I got it, Euclid was the mtb group by campy
Also Icarus.

Best hubs are from Tune.
56/12 and 22/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 11:35 PM   #12
socalrider
Senior Member
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upland, CA
Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
Posts: 5,002
Chris King and Phil Wood..
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 11:37 PM   #13
oldcrank
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Eastern PA
Bikes: Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
Posts: 247
These are road hubs, not MTB, but . . .

. . . to give credit where credit is due, I just repacked a pair of 1985 French Maillard hubs and I am VERY impressed with their smoothness and fine adjustment. They are just spinning forever, and I'd put their "feel" up there with the best of campy and shimano, even by todays standards. Very nice indeed, and you can't beat the price when they pop up on Ebay, etc. Tip o' the hat to Maillard.
oldcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-06, 01:46 AM   #14
2wheeledsoul
Gatoraid powered engine
 
2wheeledsoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW Houston, TX.
Bikes: A mixed-breed beater util/commute rigid hybrid I frankensteined out of assorted resqued components, called "Streetdancer". Ugly as sin, yet beautiful in function.
Posts: 290
I'm on a set of Shimano hubs that outlived two wheel rebuilds and a bearing replacement each, and they're not big $$$ hubsets. I've also beat the crap out of lowend Campy hubs and that took it all, till the bike they were on got stolen. I guess it depends on luck, some components are tougher than others.
2wheeledsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-06, 06:19 PM   #15
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon
 
FarHorizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Directly above the center of the earth
Bikes: Varies by day
Posts: 3,856
I guess I'm the odd man out, but I just bought MTB hubs, and my money went for DT Swiss "Onyx." I didn't like the quality on the Shimano I had in my parts box, and I don't like the way the ratchets on the Chris King hubs are so LOUD! Your money, your choice.
FarHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 09:42 AM   #16
Don Cook
Senior Member
 
Don Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Memphis TN
Bikes: Raleigh, Benotto, Schwinn, Trek
Posts: 816
There isn't anyone on this forum that can answer your question. But, there isn't anything in this world that will stop dozens from trying.
Don Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 09:45 AM   #17
mcoine
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cook
There isn't anyone on this forum that can answer your question. But, there isn't anything in this world that will stop dozens from trying.

This was posted as a follow up to the noisy cassette thread.. and I don't honestly care what other people think are the best hubs. I got the answers I expected..king, phil, hugi, hope...shimano acera

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one, and they all stink"
mcoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 09:54 AM   #18
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cook
There isn't anyone on this forum that can answer your question. But, there isn't anything in this world that will stop dozens from trying.
That applies to any and every question on the internet. Whats the use of posting/responding if people were to live by this credo.

Besides thats half the fun.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 09:56 AM   #19
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoine
This was posted as a follow up to the noisy cassette thread.. and I don't honestly care what other people think are the best hubs. I got the answers I expected..king, phil, hugi, hope...shimano acera

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one, and they all stink"
I guess I could have followed up further by asking what makes a hub "best" to you. For me it is engagement and durability and then value. I always pick my hubs based on those facts (although value is subjective I suppose)
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 10:33 AM   #20
Don Cook
Senior Member
 
Don Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Memphis TN
Bikes: Raleigh, Benotto, Schwinn, Trek
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
I guess I could have followed up further by asking what makes a hub "best" to you. For me it is engagement and durability and then value. I always pick my hubs based on those facts (although value is subjective I suppose)
In my experience with motorcycle, and automotive forums it is actually quite common to see a response to a question that refers to, at a minimum, some research article, a consumer magazine article, trade publication, and sometimes a fairley well constructed do-it-youself experiement. Why that isn't the norm with this forum I don't know. The question in this thread won't even get a response from anyone that had lots of years usage with lots of different hubs, tracking mileage, road conditions, routine maintenance sessions. Asking most forum members what's best, is most often responded to by "what I own", "what cost the most", "what some pro rider is using or saying", and heaven forbid "what some moron in an LBS is saying". And when you consider that the overwhelming part of the forum membership is seriously mechanically challenged, go figure!

If the poster's question had been constructed diferently, he could've come pretty close to figuring out the comparative strengths and weaknesses of various brand and style of hubs. Then for his (or her's) intended use, make up their own mind as to what hub would most likley fit their needs best.
Don Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 10:45 AM   #21
mcoine
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cook
In my experience with motorcycle, and automotive forums it is actually quite common to see a response to a question that refers to, at a minimum, some research article, a consumer magazine article, trade publication, and sometimes a fairley well constructed do-it-youself experiement. Why that isn't the norm with this forum I don't know. The question in this thread won't even get a response from anyone that had lots of years usage with lots of different hubs, tracking mileage, road conditions, routine maintenance sessions. Asking most forum members what's best, is most often responded to by "what I own", "what cost the most", "what some pro rider is using or saying", and heaven forbid "what some moron in an LBS is saying". And when you consider that the overwhelming part of the forum membership is seriously mechanically challenged, go figure!

If the poster's question had been constructed diferently, he could've come pretty close to figuring out the comparative strengths and weaknesses of various brand and style of hubs. Then for his (or her's) intended use, make up their own mind as to what hub would most likley fit their needs best.

whoa.. I totally agree here, there is no science or objectivity.. but that wasn't what I was after. I am sorry I asked a totally open ended question, but I was just looking for peoples opinions. The fact is, that is almost entirely what this site is, opinion. I wasn't going to use this info to purchase hubs, I have a 10 year old set of hugis that work great. thats why I posted this, because in another thread about noisy cassettes, I got blasted for buying expensive hubs, but in this thread, almost everyone has said chris king etc.
mcoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 10:51 AM   #22
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cook
In my experience with motorcycle, and automotive forums it is actually quite common to see a response to a question that refers to, at a minimum, some research article, a consumer magazine article, trade publication, and sometimes a fairley well constructed do-it-youself experiement. Why that isn't the norm with this forum I don't know. The question in this thread won't even get a response from anyone that had lots of years usage with lots of different hubs, tracking mileage, road conditions, routine maintenance sessions. Asking most forum members what's best, is most often responded to by "what I own", "what cost the most", "what some pro rider is using or saying", and heaven forbid "what some moron in an LBS is saying". And when you consider that the overwhelming part of the forum membership is seriously mechanically challenged, go figure!

If the poster's question had been constructed diferently, he could've come pretty close to figuring out the comparative strengths and weaknesses of various brand and style of hubs. Then for his (or her's) intended use, make up their own mind as to what hub would most likley fit their needs best.
Interesting, but I don't know any bike forums that do that. Most of the information is based on conjecture. There is the odd time I have seen information on suspension designs with real world statistics. I understand where you are coming from but believe that is an unrealistic expectation. I can give my fully biased opinion in the most unbiased way possible based on my experience, which I always do. I do think this is the best I can expect in return. I neer give an opinion based on a topic I have no experience in. Do I fully analyze statistics and return a pie chart based on my personal findings. No, I don't have the time. I will say something like

"Having used chris king, I find the hubs durable with high engagement and clearly well made, however with hadley (especially with the new design using more engagement points) and hope offering similar quality for half the price are a better purchase in my opinion."

I think generally, thats the best you would find on any bike site, especially mtbikers. To work out actual statistics would be so subjective they would be pointless anyways. I am 270, I dh and fr and abuse the heck out of my parts. Any statistic I come up with wouldn't apply directly to 90% of the mountain bikers out there.

As for responses based on someone elses opinion or pure conjecture, I agree those are completely pointless. If you don't have any experience, don't bother trying to explain.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 10:52 AM   #23
MichaelW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: England
Bikes:
Posts: 12,920
How do you test hubs to find the "best".
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 10:53 AM   #24
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoine
whoa.. I totally agree here, there is no science or objectivity.. but that wasn't what I was after. I am sorry I asked a totally open ended question, but I was just looking for peoples opinions. The fact is, that is almost entirely what this site is, opinion. I wasn't going to use this info to purchase hubs, I have a 10 year old set of hugis that work great. thats why I posted this, because in another thread about noisy cassettes, I got blasted for buying expensive hubs, but in this thread, almost everyone has said chris king etc.
I love noisy hubs. Not sure why, some sick yearning to hear my bike ...

I do know this, I destroy shimano hubs. The only hubs to survive my abuse were hadley, hope and king. Anything below that, especially not sealed, and I usually ate through them ithin 3 to 6months depending on how much I rode and the conditions I was riding in.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-06, 04:46 PM   #25
mayukawa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 910
As others have said, many of these "best" ratings are objective in a way, but mainly on a small sampling basis, might not be valid on a large sample. I think to really evaluate hubs, we would have to take them all apart and see what makes them good or not. Who used the biggest (most durable) bearings? Cartridge bearings or separate bearings? How many sets of bearings per axle? How good are the seals? How much drag from the seals? how thick (strong) are the axles? You can just evaluate a bunch of stuff and then come up with a "best" for a certain purpose. Obviously for a MTB, you want to focus more on sealing versus drag... You can ask similar kinds of questions regarding the racheting system, the freehub body, the hub body, etc. I sometimes wonder why bike publications don't do more these kinds of tests...
mayukawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:18 PM.