Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Supergo.com goes down 4ever (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/166372-supergo-com-goes-down-4ever.html)

blackDoggy 01-14-06 04:45 AM

Supergo.com goes down 4ever
 
Quote:

Supergo.com has closed and is now part of Performance Bicycle, America's #1 bicycle store. As a loyal Supergo customer, we welcome you to Performance Bicycle.
It certainly means higher prices. When supergo.com was alive, it was running special sales at different times than performancebike.com. Other than that, the price level is higher even when not considering specials. For example, take L&M HID - it was $329.00 at supergo.com, and now performancebike.com wants $349.00 for the same light. I know that the physical merger took place a long time ago, but it's very sad that supergo.com had to be closed as well.

Bloated prices, fewer special deals, smaller product catalog/shipping options, perhaps they have even lost my order history at supergo.com... woe! woe! woe!

michaelnel 01-14-06 06:20 AM

I wonder if Nashbar will be next, since Performance owns them too?

blackDoggy 01-14-06 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelnel
I wonder if Nashbar will be next, since Performance owns them too?

I certainly hope that Nashbar won't be next.

P.S.
Don't you have some kind of antitrust laws for merges like this? I am by no means expert in U.S. laws, but it seems that Performancebike after the merge with Supergo/Nashbar may have 'significant importance' in the market, which in turns requires special permission for the merge.

michaelnel 01-14-06 08:23 AM

I've never bought anything from supergo, but I have bought quite a bit of stuff from Nashbar. They frequently carry stuff Performance doesn't, and their prices are usually better than Performance's prices.

I won't miss Supergo, but I sure would miss Nashbar.

Performance sucks.

spinnaker 01-14-06 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackDoggy
I certainly hope that Nashbar won't be next.

P.S.
Don't you have some kind of antitrust laws for merges like this? I am by no means expert in U.S. laws, but it seems that Performancebike after the merge with Supergo/Nashbar may have 'significant importance' in the market, which in turns requires special permission for the merge.


I'm not an attorney but I act as one on the Internet. :)

Seriously, I can't see where this is an anti-trust issue. There are plenty of other online stores out there. Not as well known as Nashbar and Performance but they are there. But like I said I am not an attorney.

Much like the big box stores these huge online stores mean better prices but less choice. I guess you can't have everything.

Portis 01-14-06 09:34 AM

Well, at least they give you a link to save 10% at Performance. Maybe i should put this in the coupon forum?

Rev.Chuck 01-14-06 11:50 PM

Supergo had some problems violating their dealer agreements. Performance may have closed them more because of conflict with suppliers than removing their discount "name" in order to raise pricing.

Maybe they will actually supply a quality "handbuilt" wheel now.... Probably not.

Not an antitrust issue.

MattP. 01-15-06 01:17 AM

This doesnt mean that the Supergo shops are closed, does it? I know that they dropped Specialized and picked up crap brands, but are all their shops eventually going to go to Performance?

Trsnrtr 01-15-06 07:21 AM

I liked Supergo because they frequently had sales on 650c tires and tubes. A week or so ago, they were blowing out 650c tubes for $1.50 apiece. I ordered 10 just to see what they looked like and if they were OK, I was going to order more. The 10 tubes came yesterday and looked good, so I went back to their website to order more but the "doors" are shut forever.

[whine]I went over to Performance and checked their 650 tubes and they are running approx. $6.50 apiece. [/whine]

fmw 01-15-06 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackDoggy
I certainly hope that Nashbar won't be next.

P.S.
Don't you have some kind of antitrust laws for merges like this? I am by no means expert in U.S. laws, but it seems that Performancebike after the merge with Supergo/Nashbar may have 'significant importance' in the market, which in turns requires special permission for the merge.

I believe the anti trust laws relate to public corporations.

jhota 01-15-06 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelnel
I've never bought anything from supergo, but I have bought quite a bit of stuff from Nashbar. They frequently carry stuff Performance doesn't, and their prices are usually better than Performance's prices.

I won't miss Supergo, but I sure would miss Nashbar.

Performance sucks.

+1

i've never had problems with Nashbar, and i've never not had problems with Performance.

01GTB 01-15-06 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackDoggy
For example, take L&M HID - it was $329.00 at supergo.com, and now performancebike.com wants $349.00 for the same light. I know that the physical merger took place a long time ago, but it's very sad that supergo.com had to be closed as well.

On a side note, Nashbar has the light for $329.99 now. Believe there is a working 10% coupon as well.

michaelnel 01-15-06 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sngltrackdufus
When i find a good deal (for the mentioned)running somewhere else on the web ,i print out the ad & take it into the store :D .

Heh... I only buy from them when I need something quickly, because they are right across the street from where I work. I find that even in their own stores I have to print out a webpage from their own website to get them to honor the prices posted on the performancebike.com webpage.

The store prices are ALWAYS higher than the website, and you have to prove it to them.

linux_author 01-15-06 05:19 PM

- well, there's always your LBS?

[ducks]

:-)

michaelnel 01-15-06 05:20 PM

Most LBSs don't stock the wierd stuff I want to buy.

Pheard 01-15-06 05:44 PM

I allways liked supergo for the deals, when I went to a supergo shop(which has a way better selection than performance, and better deals) they were selling all of the old specialized bikes at great prices and changing to giant or some **** brand like that. Man I'm kinda sad that supergo is gone now, cuz I hate performance.

gm1230126 01-15-06 08:05 PM

Performance would be smart to keep Nashbar and use that as there closeout/reduction outlet. I'm sure they don't want the Performance name to be known as the price slasher in the industry. I very much doubt with some of their bike moves that they recently made that they would want Performance to be known as a discount label.

barba 01-15-06 08:12 PM

that is a shame. performance is my least favorite of the big 3. supergo often had deals that nashbar didn't have. it allowed for a little more comparison shopping.

Trekke 01-15-06 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linux_author
- well, there's always your LBS?

[ducks]

:-)

+1

sngltrackdufus 01-15-06 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelnel
Heh... I only buy from them when I need something quickly, because they are right across the street from where I work. I find that even in their own stores I have to print out a webpage from their own website to get them to honor the prices posted on the performancebike.com webpage.

The store prices are ALWAYS higher than the website, and you have to prove it to them.

:beer: Yup, part of their manure :) They say they don't have "online" computers in their stores :roflmao: :mad: :D

blackDoggy 01-16-06 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhota
i've never had problems with Nashbar, and i've never not had problems with Performance.

Nashbar is evil - due to their stupid shipping policy I haven't been able to order anything from them

Kabloink 01-16-06 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackDoggy
I certainly hope that Nashbar won't be next.

I also hope thay do not close Nashbar. Performance is too focused on the higher end items. There are times when I need items like a $12 mega range derailleur that Perfomance does not carry.

samp02 01-17-06 06:14 AM

Supergo never seemed to ahve the items I wanted. Always OOS..:(

SanDiegoSteve 01-17-06 04:52 PM

Plus: No more supergo spam.

Minus: no more supergo deals.

They are all still cheaper than my LBS, but I still like to support the locals when I can.

gcasillo 01-17-06 05:08 PM

"Supergo must go down, and Supergo must go down hard." --Al Davis

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/nfl...to/s_davis.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:50 AM.