Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-06, 08:49 AM   #1
Dewbert
Mettle to the Pedals
Thread Starter
 
Dewbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Central Indiana
Bikes: Giant Cypress hyrbrid, Giant OCR2, Giant OCRc2, Giant Suede (wife's)
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Loosen trainer when not in use?

Should I loosen the tension on my trainer (cycle-ops fluid 2) between uses? Does having that pressure on the tire wear anything (tire, wheel, etc.) out more quickly or cause other problems?

Am I paranoid? Does everyone else HATE their trainers?
__________________
2008 Giant FCR3 (kitted up for touring)
2006 Giant OCRc2 full-Carbon (for the sheer pleasure of riding)
2005 Fuji MTB (for the snowy and muddy days)
2007 Schwinn 7 Speed Alloy Cruiser (For getting to the Dairy Queen in style!)

http://www.HowILost100Pounds.com
Dewbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 08:56 AM   #2
RonH
Life is good
 
RonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Not far from the Withlacoochee Trail. 🚴🏻
Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Posts: 16,303
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewbert
Should I loosen the tension on my trainer (cycle-ops fluid 2) between uses?
I always loosen it. Seems like constant pressure on one spot on the wheel could cause problems.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewbert
Does everyone else HATE their trainers?
Yes. But the doctor told me no riding for at least 4 more weeks or he not responsible for any "damage" to my shoulder. So I'm on the trainer every morning or evening

Don't tell my doctor but I may sneak out for an occasional ride around my neighborhood or to the store.
__________________


The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 09:53 AM   #3
Fastfwd
Senior Member
 
Fastfwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewbert
Should I loosen the tension on my trainer (cycle-ops fluid 2) between uses? Does having that pressure on the tire wear anything (tire, wheel, etc.) out more quickly or cause other problems?

Am I paranoid? Does everyone else HATE their trainers?
I just take the bike off from the trainer and suspend it in the garage.

I love my trainer. It's either that or trying to roll in snow/ice.
Fastfwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 01:50 PM   #4
skiahh
Senior Member
 
skiahh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: CO Springs, CO
Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I usually unwind mine, but not always. Don't really care about the tire/wheel since I bought a cheap one for the trainer and the real one's in the garage waiting for better weather.
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 01:59 PM   #5
bmike
Bye Bye
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Gone gone gone
Bikes:
Posts: 3,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewbert
Does everyone else HATE their trainers?

No.
bmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 02:04 PM   #6
geeklpc1985
Senior Member
 
geeklpc1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes: 2004 Martin Novato w/ 2004 Burley Nomad
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm, I would use one, but I don't think that my studed tires would work so well with the trainer.

Super Geek
geeklpc1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 12:32 PM   #7
fillthecup
Kwisatz Haderach
 
fillthecup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: central Illinois
Bikes: 1998 Nishiki Montana, 1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 2007 Trek 520
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love my trainer. In fact, you might be hearing some good news pretty soon about me and my trainer, we're THAT happy together.

I take my bike after each use. I'm more concerned about maintaining constant pressure on the flywheel/resistance dealy as well as the brace that holds the rear wheel. I'd think it'd weaken them both over enough time, similar to a continuously coiled spring losing its recoil. I feel like I'd have to gradually tighten both further over time, until they finally break. Crazy? Probably.

Anyone know if having front shocks is harder on trainers? I've got the shocks as stiff as they'll go, but the bike still bounces when mashing.
fillthecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-06, 07:49 PM   #8
kingsfan4life
GO KINGS!
 
kingsfan4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: DFW, Texas
Bikes: 2006 Specialized Allez Elite, Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillthecup
I love my trainer. In fact, you might be hearing some good news pretty soon about me and my trainer, we're THAT happy together.

I take my bike after each use. I'm more concerned about maintaining constant pressure on the flywheel/resistance dealy as well as the brace that holds the rear wheel. I'd think it'd weaken them both over enough time, similar to a continuously coiled spring losing its recoil. I feel like I'd have to gradually tighten both further over time, until they finally break. Crazy? Probably.

Anyone know if having front shocks is harder on trainers? I've got the shocks as stiff as they'll go, but the bike still bounces when mashing.
what kind of trainer do you have? Any pics?
kingsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 07:17 AM   #9
Trsnrtr
Nefarious Reprobate
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Bikes: Colnago CX, Giant Propel, Co-Motion Supremo
Posts: 8,030
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
I take the pressure off of the tire when not in use.
__________________
Dennis T
Trsnrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 12:41 PM   #10
fillthecup
Kwisatz Haderach
 
fillthecup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: central Illinois
Bikes: 1998 Nishiki Montana, 1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 2007 Trek 520
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan4life
what kind of trainer do you have? Any pics?
It's nothing outside of the normal list of trainers, a CycleOps Fluid^2. I've ended up using it way way more than I would have hoped (I was worried it'd collect dust). Last winter I hit about 1 hr per day. This winter is not much different. I use the indoor cycling time as an excuse to watch classic films. And before anyone says anything YES I'd rather cycle outside, and I DO commute in the cold when I'm not being considerate of my girlfriend.

My friends have tried wind resistance units and reported they rarely used them due to the deafening noise. If you're looking into trainers I'd say an extra $50-75 is worth it for something that's quiet and easy to use, and therefore more likely to be used often. The Fluid^2 lets you switch gears as normal to change resistance, instead of using a cable or getting off the bike to fool with screws, and it's relatively quiet.
fillthecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 03:26 PM   #11
bmike
Bye Bye
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Gone gone gone
Bikes:
Posts: 3,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillthecup
It's nothing outside of the normal list of trainers, a CycleOps Fluid^2. I've ended up using it way way more than I would have hoped (I was worried it'd collect dust). Last winter I hit about 1 hr per day. This winter is not much different. I use the indoor cycling time as an excuse to watch classic films. And before anyone says anything YES I'd rather cycle outside, and I DO commute in the cold when I'm not being considerate of my girlfriend.

My friends have tried wind resistance units and reported they rarely used them due to the deafening noise. If you're looking into trainers I'd say an extra $50-75 is worth it for something that's quiet and easy to use, and therefore more likely to be used often. The Fluid^2 lets you switch gears as normal to change resistance, instead of using a cable or getting off the bike to fool with screws, and it's relatively quiet.
What he / she said.
Longest I've gone indoors this winter is 2 hours.

Most 1 hr rides I work on breathing / form. Beyond that I have some music or now DVD's on the laptop.
Working up to the wathching LOTR while pedalling.
bmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-06, 09:54 PM   #12
aj in ma
there ARE no bad rides
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Western Massachusetts
Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike and an Iron Horse Triumph road bike
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewbert
Should I loosen the tension on my trainer (cycle-ops fluid 2) between uses? Does having that pressure on the tire wear anything (tire, wheel, etc.) out more quickly or cause other problems?

Am I paranoid? Does everyone else HATE their trainers?
I just have a pedal that after the initial adjustment when setting up the trainer, I push to disengage the trainer/tension from the tyre. When I want to use it again, I just hit the pedal an it engages the roller to the tyre at the proper tension. I leave my bike in the trainer all winter and never have to re-adjust anything.

I love my trainer...now. I'll hate it in the morning when I have to use it again.

\aj
aj in ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:49 PM.