Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-02, 05:41 PM   #1
Prosody
Are we having fun yet?
Thread Starter
 
Prosody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chesterfield, Missouri
Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Trek 7200
Posts: 930
Value of Cell Phones

I always carry a cell phone with me. When my kids get home from school they call me to let me know they've gotten home. Today, when I was squeezing in a quick ride before I had to pick my son up from an after-school meeting, my phone rang. It was my son. He had forgotten his meeting and had ridden the school bus home. I got to ride an extra 45 minutes. I love cell phones.
__________________
You're east of East St. Louis
And the wind is making speeches.
Prosody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-02, 05:51 PM   #2
Sailguy
Bring It!
 
Sailguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Bikes: Torelli - Trek 520 - GT - and some old Schwinn Thing
Posts: 611
Right now my cell phone is merely my emergency backup in case of equipment failure or heaven-forbid some sort of accident. I am sure down the road once I have kids a similar use will be found for it.
__________________
Sailing and Cycling make the world go 'round. Quietly Too!
Sailguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-02, 06:18 PM   #3
Guest
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
I have a business, my wife is a shrink ... and a 10yr old son is in fifth grade. I am so:confused: Both my wife and I never go anywhere without our cells and she also carries a beeper for her wackos.

Our new cells are very small and offer phone text messaging back and forth for free...it's pretty neat and internet access with webbrowser and email. I haven't had the occasion to use the internet features, and don't think we will...no real reason.

When I travel, I take along my infrared notebook and use my infrared cell as access porta and VOLA.... technology wins my heart

Value of Cells... mines like credit cards...always with me and always being used.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-02, 06:48 PM   #4
Rotifer
WallaWalla!
 
Rotifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Walla Walla, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 823
Mines saved me a long walk a few times - I like them. In fact, I got rid of my landline. They have, however, been discussed quite a bit.

Cell Phones Again!!
__________________
Jeff
Rotifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-02, 12:35 AM   #5
SipperPhoto
The Cycling Photographer
 
SipperPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Orange, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally posted by Garbear
I Both my wife and I never go anywhere without our cells and she also carries a beeper for her wackos.
It's good to see how the mentally ill are using technology these days !!

just kiddin'.. it cracked me up when I read about the whackos !

Jeff
SipperPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-02, 01:12 AM   #6
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
I hate them. I may have to carry one for work in the near future and that sucks. I hate anything that connects me constantly to other people. I barely like land phones.

The ironic twist is I am an IT specialist involved with communication.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-02, 04:20 AM   #7
JRA
Senior Member
 
JRA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally posted by Maelstrom
I hate them.
Yea. Now, no matter where you are or what you're doing, someone can bother you.

They are useful in an emergency. And not so bad as long as no one has your number.
JRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-02, 09:00 AM   #8
willic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: N.E.England.(geordieland)
Bikes:
Posts: 605
Yes i am like you Maelstrom!

I hate the bl**dy things .

I have to carry one at work and it is always going off at in-opportune times, interrupting meeitngs and site discussions.

I vow when I finally pack in work, I will wear my heaviest boots, lay the cell phone on the ground and then "STOMP ON IT". what gratification that will give me.

I do not like the long term radiation possibilities from them either, i keep thinking every time i use it that is another 200 hundred brain cells FRYED.
willic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-02, 04:03 PM   #9
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Quote:
Originally posted by willic


I do not like the long term radiation possibilities from them either, i keep thinking every time i use it that is another 200 hundred brain cells FRYED.
Use a headset
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-02, 07:01 PM   #10
Beau
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 35
I don't have a land line anymore so obviously my cell is my only phone. I really like the convenience of always having a phone with me. So if there is somebody that I need to call I don't have to remember to do it when I get home because 8-10 times I'll forget. Being in college there are times I'm away from my house all day long so it's the only way people can get in touch with me for whatever reason. Last reason is that since I've been in college I seem to move almost once per year so this way I have one number to be reached at all the time.

Beau
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-02, 08:51 PM   #11
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
I guess I just don't like people. I don't care to be contacted or to contact people. If I really need to talk to someone it can always wait. I guess I look at it like a leash. Simply put everyone I see with cell phones gets interupted at the worst times. And very few (not all but most) people are ignorant as to how rude it is to be put on hold (while standing there) so someone can take a call (this is only one example what about restaurants, buses (I HATE people chatting away in the seat beside me on a plane or bus), movie theatres for example). Sorry I don't ever need or want that kind of connection.

As for the radiation. I still eat meat and refuse to stop. I am sure the steroids in there are just about as bad as radiation.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-02, 10:29 PM   #12
Big Johnson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Bikes:
Posts: 83
A couple of years ago I swore I would never own one. I am well known in my circle of friends and co-workers for fantasizing about traveling back in time to stop Alexander Ghram Bell from inventing his infernal device which would one day destroy the world. Even better still is my win the lottery fantasy about taking all the phones at my work place into the parking lot for the telephone trap and skeet challenge. In this event my buddy and I take turns hurling phones into the air while the other guy blasts them with a twelve guage Seriously, the telephone is the greatest obstacle to productivity I can think of with the exception of football pools. However, it became necessary for me to get a cell phone for work related purposes and it gradually began to grow on me. I now use it primarily to stay in touch with my little girl. Even though her mom and I are divorced and live in different cities, I insist on having daily conversations with my daughter. As I have one of the bajillion anytime minute, unlimited long distance plans, it makes these ends affordable. Plus, with the caller I.D. I can ignore any call I don't wish to answer.
Big Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-02, 11:21 PM   #13
Alexey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ukraine
Bikes:
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally posted by Garbear
I haven't had the occasion to use the internet features, and don't think we will...no real reason.
It just means that you are lucky and do not need to make heavy decisions, which depend on weather forecast.

Even my son owns a cell phone. What I like about his new Simens ME45 is that it has the protected screen saver feature. After 2 minutes screen saver comes and without the secret code one can not use phone at all.

Once I lost my Ericsson 320 and I was a bit uneasy that several hundred of my contacts got into someone's hands.

My Nokia 6210 does not have such a security feature either.

What I also like about a mobile phone is that I can enter birthday dates of my acquaintances and be reminded early in the morning about a birthday ever since.

I get reminded and send text message with my congratulations. People like it.

I also worry about radiation and carry my phone either in rucksack or in a pannier. Or keep it a in drawer. The number recognition allows me to return call, as I see it on the screen.

But I try to avoid to carry it close to my body, because a mobile phone connects with the base from time to time by itself.

Mobile phones allow to plan better, change plans last minute, and by this solve many problems without driving.

In general IT technologies may reduce the pressure on environment, because they allow to communicate without meeting physically. Technologies do already exist, the problem is, however, that some people do not want to learn how to use it.

They invent reasons to not learn it like idiotic: "I hate computers!", "I hate cell phones!". Yeh, it is better (sic) jump into the cage and drive across the city, than to learn how to make a digital photo and send it via e-mail.

Thousands drive every day around a city to carry just a piece of paper to be signed in some offices. But all this can be done with electronic signatures.

All is needed for it is that there is no man in a team, who would say sacramental: "I hate..."

Last edited by Alexey; 11-16-02 at 11:26 PM.
Alexey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-02, 11:36 PM   #14
Airborne
Sir Crashalot
 
Airborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: stuck in the mud and my pedals in Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally posted by Maelstrom
I hate them. I may have to carry one for work in the near future and that sucks. I hate anything that connects me constantly to other people. I barely like land phones.

The ironic twist is I am an IT specialist involved with communication.
that borders on being a really odd career choice for a techno-hater. lose a bet or something?
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-02, 11:39 PM   #15
Airborne
Sir Crashalot
 
Airborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: stuck in the mud and my pedals in Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 114
i carry mine on epics only, far from civilization where if i am injured, i may be beat. but when i ride, it is off, not silent - off!
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-02, 02:03 AM   #16
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexey


It just means that you are lucky and do not need to make heavy decisions, which depend on weather forecast.

Even my son owns a cell phone. What I like about his new Simens ME45 is that it has the protected screen saver feature. After 2 minutes screen saver comes and without the secret code one can not use phone at all.

Once I lost my Ericsson 320 and I was a bit uneasy that several hundred of my contacts got into someone's hands.

My Nokia 6210 does not have such a security feature either.

What I also like about a mobile phone is that I can enter birthday dates of my acquaintances and be reminded early in the morning about a birthday ever since.

I get reminded and send text message with my congratulations. People like it.

I also worry about radiation and carry my phone either in rucksack or in a pannier. Or keep it a in drawer. The number recognition allows me to return call, as I see it on the screen.

But I try to avoid to carry it close to my body, because a mobile phone connects with the base from time to time by itself.

Mobile phones allow to plan better, change plans last minute, and by this solve many problems without driving.

In general IT technologies may reduce the pressure on environment, because they allow to communicate without meeting physically. Technologies do already exist, the problem is, however, that some people do not want to learn how to use it.

They invent reasons to not learn it like idiotic: "I hate computers!", "I hate cell phones!". Yeh, it is better (sic) jump into the cage and drive across the city, than to learn how to make a digital photo and send it via e-mail.

Thousands drive every day around a city to carry just a piece of paper to be signed in some offices. But all this can be done with electronic signatures.

All is needed for it is that there is no man in a team, who would say sacramental: "I hate..."
[if you are being sarcastic I am sorry because I missed it ]

You obviously haven't read the responses against owning one. I live for computers and keep up with the times. But the need to be connected all the time is ridiculous for anyone in non-emergency situations. So yes I hate cell phones.

Airborne,

...strange eh?...I am not a techno hater. In fact I treasure technology and all it has to bring. However as I have stated previously and will state again, I like my seperation period. I feel sorry for people who feel under any and all circumstances they need that connection. (I know I sound like a hippy but really it is just a matter of choice )

In reality I am stuck in a job because I am damn good at it and have been working with computers since I was 6. If I had my choice I would probably coach mtbiking (I suck so I can't) or some other sport while working part time as an internet application developer from home.

Last edited by Maelstrom; 11-17-02 at 02:12 AM.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-02, 11:04 AM   #17
Alexey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ukraine
Bikes:
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally posted by Maelstrom
if you are being sarcastic
I am not sarcastic.

I am plain upset when I hear that someone does not wish to make an effort to learn a common place technology.

It is neither cute, nor funny. The chain is as strong as its weakest link.

If a person can not, or more correctly, does not wish to use a technology, it makes it useless for other people who duly invested time and effort in mastering it.

I understand well that you wish to protect your private time. Modern mobile phones have many features to assist in this. For example, you can make the phone ring during your private time only if a family member calls, etc.

You could not do it with old simplistic ground phones. All is needed is to read through the phone manual.

There are may features there to protect privacy. Especially in the new generation of mobile phones.

For example, my son's new Simens ME45 can switch off itself at a certain time every day. If one cares about privacy and not being disturbed, why should one hate such a phone?
Alexey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-02, 05:16 PM   #18
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Surly Steamroller, 1989 Nishiki Altron
Posts: 19,413
Well mine just sits and doesn't get used.
__________________
Signature.
Dannihilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-02, 05:52 PM   #19
MediaCreations 
Marathon Cyclist
 
MediaCreations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Perth - Western Australia
Bikes: Road Bike / Mountain Bike
Posts: 1,763
I think the problem many people have with them is being unable to locate the off button.

I wouldn't want to get around without one but I also switch mine off when I'm in meetings or simply chatting to someone in the office.

I choose when I'm available to people calling me rather than having my life run by other people's agendas.
__________________
MediaCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-02, 08:16 PM   #20
aerobat
Love Me....Love My Bike!
 
aerobat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Winnipeg
Bikes: Bikes: Giant hybrid, Trek 4500, Cannondale R800 Some commuting 20mi/day, mostly fitness riding - 20-50 mile rides
Posts: 1,231
I was able to buy the house we're living in now because I had my cell phone on a ride. I saw the real estate sign and was able to arrange to see the house and put in an offer before it was listed, at a time when the real estate market was unusually hot and people were actually bidding prices up.

Usually I just carry it for emergency purposes, and, knock on wood haven't had to use it that way yet.
__________________
"...perhaps the world needs a little more Canada" - Jean Chretian, 2003.
aerobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-02, 09:01 PM   #21
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti
 
SteveE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Republic of Anaerobia
Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Romani Columbus SL, Soma Doublecross
Posts: 3,582
I have a cell phone, primarily for business, and usually carry it around on weekends when I am away from the house. My cycling time is my time and I don't think I will ever take it with me on rides.
SteveE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-02, 09:46 PM   #22
MediaCreations 
Marathon Cyclist
 
MediaCreations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Perth - Western Australia
Bikes: Road Bike / Mountain Bike
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally posted by aerobat
I was able to buy the house we're living in now because I had my cell phone on a ride. I saw the real estate sign and was able to arrange to see the house and put in an offer before it was listed, at a time when the real estate market was unusually hot and people were actually bidding prices up.

Usually I just carry it for emergency purposes, and, knock on wood haven't had to use it that way yet.
Getting that house before anyone else did sounds like an emergency to me.
__________________
MediaCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-02, 02:20 AM   #23
earleybird
Zzzzzzzzzzz
 
earleybird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Somerset, England
Bikes:
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally posted by SipperPhoto


It's good to see how the mentally ill are using technology these days !!

just kiddin'.. it cracked me up when I read about the whackos !

Jeff
Talking of whakos
My Mum was a psychiatric nurse and years ago in her unit one of the whakos used to pick up the ward phone when no one was around and answer internal calls.

Frequently it was doctors calling for information from the ward sister and this whacko ( who had had no medical experience or training) used to give advice and prognosis, drug recommendations etc for other patients over the phone .

This patient had been in so long that he had picked up the lingo and carried it off for over a year before being caught out.!
earleybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-02, 02:51 AM   #24
Alexey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ukraine
Bikes:
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally posted by earleybird


Talking of whakos
My Mum was a psychiatric nurse and years ago in her unit one of the whakos used to pick up the ward phone when no one was around and answer internal calls.

Frequently it was doctors calling for information from the ward sister and this whacko ( who had had no medical experience or training) used to give advice and prognosis, drug recommendations etc for other patients over the phone .

This patient had been in so long that he had picked up the lingo and carried it off for over a year before being caught out.!
This is what still to be done about phones. They should have some serious built in security. Especially on mobile phones, which transmit the caller's number and have an organizer inside.

I read that 60000 mobile phones are lost in London taxis per year. Having a mobile phone full of personal information, a criminal may start to plot something.
Alexey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-02, 10:18 AM   #25
cycletourist
opinionated SOB
 
cycletourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Branson, Missouri USA
Bikes:
Posts: 968
Am I the only person on earth that STILL does not own a cell phone?
cycletourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:49 PM.