Resident Old Fart
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The great Brooks experiment
Here is what I have found after putting in about 200 miles on my Brooks B17 Champion Special.
1. It was the perfect blend of compliance and firmness right out of the box. I felt no need to break it in.
2. It was slippery as all git out. (That's colorful Southern talk.)
3. With my handlebars well below my saddle, the nose of the Brooks was fighting for lebensraum with my gonads.
4. At the suggestion of Brooks experts here on BF, I raised my bar as high as I could and was able to relieve most of the pressure.
5. The high handlebar position placed much more weight on my rear wheel.
6. I don't like the sit-up-and-beg position on the bike and that was the only way I was going to be able to use the Brooks.
7. I replaced it with a Terry Fly which has a cutout for my squishy bits.
Wag more, bark less