Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    My Bikes
    Haro V2 MTB, Bad Boy Ultra w/700x28C & Bad Boy Ultra w/26x2.10
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Store or Web Site for Clothing?

    I want to by some more cycling clothes. Sporting goods stores don't have much inventory. LBSs charge outrageous prices. Web sites seem to have better prices, but are their products any good? Where do you buy your clothes? Which web sites are the best for buying clothing?
    CityRocksWoods: I ride, therefore, I am.

  2. #2
    OPC
    OPC is offline
    íPura Vida! OPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chandler AZ
    My Bikes
    '04 Bianchi Giro, '05 Bianchi Virata, Electra Straight 8
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LBS to figure out what size you wear, then web. Some good sites that I have bought from include:
    performancebike.com
    nashbar.com
    bikeworld.com
    rei.com

    What is good? I like Descente, Pearl Izumi, Nalini. Some pricier brands include Assos. House brands like REI and Performance have their fans, too.
    --JosÚ
    '04 Bianchi Giro
    '05 Bianchi Virata
    '08 Electra Straight 8 Cruiser

  3. #3
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,830
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get my clothing from:

    http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp

    http://www.nashbar.com/

    http://www.velotique.com/storey.htm

    I like the inexpensive house brand stuff.

    I have also picked up an item or two from an LBS when I find a really good sale.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OPC
    LBS to figure out what size you wear, then web. Some good sites that I have bought from include:
    performancebike.com
    nashbar.com
    bikeworld.com
    rei.com

    What is good? I like Descente, Pearl Izumi, Nalini. Some pricier brands include Assos. House brands like REI and Performance have their fans, too.
    That is totally dishonest! You want the service of an LBS without paying for it. I hope one day you work in a business where people come in, use your facilities, ask questions, and then go else where to save a few dollars. If you want the service of a business you should pay for it. The LBS is not there as your sizing department for Nashbar. Shame!

    BTW, I have no problem with ordering from websites, just don't step on the neck of an LBS to do it. If you want low prices you get low service, as service costs money.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Milice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,262
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I,m going to have to agree with Ziemas, if you want the services from your LBS buy there. Maybe not you entire kit but if you go in and try on a half dozen pairs of shorts. then you should be walking out with a pair. If youre going to order online then figure out on your own what you need.

  6. #6
    TWilkins
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto the idea of using your LBS if you need services as well. Don't use them and then not give them any business. We need them around!

    I frequently make a lot of my purchases on-line for best selection and prices, but keep in mind that if you don't get the size right the first time and need to send an item back that you're probably going to lose most of the price advantage that on-line dealers give us in return shipping.

  7. #7
    OPC
    OPC is offline
    íPura Vida! OPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chandler AZ
    My Bikes
    '04 Bianchi Giro, '05 Bianchi Virata, Electra Straight 8
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas
    That is totally dishonest! You want the service of an LBS without paying for it.
    Actually, that is not what I meant. I do not believe that a dressing room will really provide an indication of proper size. One needs to buy the product, put a in few miles with the clothing in question, then decide if the it works for you.

    Either way, you will not get me to lose any sleep over whether or not a LBS gets my business. I am not here to enable them or make a profit for them. If they provide a competive price for the product or service I am looking for, then we are both happy. If not, then we part ways.

    -Jose
    --JosÚ
    '04 Bianchi Giro
    '05 Bianchi Virata
    '08 Electra Straight 8 Cruiser

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OPC
    Actually, that is not what I meant. I do not believe that a dressing room will really provide an indication of proper size. One needs to buy the product, put a in few miles with the clothing in question, then decide if the it works for you.

    Either way, you will not get me to lose any sleep over whether or not a LBS gets my business. I am not here to enable them or make a profit for them. If they provide a competive price for the product or service I am looking for, then we are both happy. If not, then we part ways.

    -Jose
    And then do you return it? I don't understand what you mean. Do you buy one example of a product from a given maker and then try to size all the rest to it? Do you buy one item from an LBS use it, and then buy further pieces of the same item off the web? What do you mean?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    My Bikes
    Surley LHT, Cannondale R1000, IBEX Ignition, Bianchi Boardwalk, KHS Milano Tandem
    Posts
    880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://velowear.com/

    Check your LBS for sales, you'll be amazed how many great deals you can find. Also, more and more LBS feature these on their web sites too, that's a great move.

    If you ride with a local club, check their merchandise.

  10. #10
    OPC
    OPC is offline
    íPura Vida! OPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chandler AZ
    My Bikes
    '04 Bianchi Giro, '05 Bianchi Virata, Electra Straight 8
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas
    And then do you return it? I don't understand what you mean. Do you buy one example of a product from a given maker and then try to size all the rest to it? Do you buy one item from an LBS use it, and then buy further pieces of the same item off the web? What do you mean?
    No, I do not return it nor did I suggest that. The OP is new to cycling clothes, so s/he will need to buy some stuff locally to see what works for them. Sizing can vary across manufacturers and certainly not all chamois are made/designed the same. To bib, or not to bib? None of these questions will be answered in a dressing room, so buy it and keep it. After they get an idea what they like, then they can buy subsequent items on-line.

    Why are you so determined to take offense?

    -Jose
    --JosÚ
    '04 Bianchi Giro
    '05 Bianchi Virata
    '08 Electra Straight 8 Cruiser

  11. #11
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OPC
    No, I do not return it nor did I suggest that. The OP is new to cycling clothes, so s/he will need to buy some stuff locally to see what works for them. Sizing can vary across manufacturers and certainly not all chamois are made/designed the same. To bib, or not to bib? None of these questions will be answered in a dressing room, so buy it and keep it. After they get an idea what they like, then they can buy subsequent items on-line.

    Why are you so determined to take offense?

    -Jose
    I'm not determined to take offense. Your posts are very unclear. It seems that I'm not the only one who misunderstood you. Thanks for clairfying what you meant.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ebay can also be a great option, once you have a little more experience in your sizing and what brands you want.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
    Posts
    1,727
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My reccomendations already were mentioned, but what I will say is there is no reason to get excited about ordering a bunch of useless overpriced garbage because its official biking gear. My theory is, I have some good jerseys, 2 nice pairs of shorts, and one inexpensive pair of Shimano SPD shoes. Other than that, regular socks do just fine, so do $20 sunglasses, and cheaper, but superior quality Iron Clad summertime workgloves available from home depot.
    Bring back the Sig Test!


    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  14. #14
    Senior Member ken cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    northern California
    My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Posts
    5,605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Home Depot, now that is interesting. Maybe one of the things the OP needed. I afforded a new rainsuit last weekend. I cruised the above on-line shops to get a feel for what features were available at what price. REI and Nashbar were good. The wife likes the local REI more than the LBS. While I prefer to support the LBS I do not have to live with it . They had a good jacket but all their rain pants are now black (and one gray). Even their on-line store had dropped the bright pants colors. So back to the bike shop where I am ready to pay a premium for the service they can provide. What is with this black thing? So it does not show dirt. Whoopee. I ride at night and black is an insane color for outerwear. A benefit most LBS offer that I have not seen mentioned is the club discount. 10% or more off retail. Brings things towards a level playing field. If needed start your own club.
    This space open

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia suburb
    Posts
    911
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because several LBSs are very supportive of my bike clubs and our local cycling community, I like to repay them (and help keep them in business, as I need their mechanical expertise!), so I buy just everything from them--except for clothing. I make this one exception because their clothing tends to have a lot of logos and I prefer plain, simple styles.

    I agree with Ken that when you factor in the club discount versus shipping/handling, LBS prices aren't all that different from catalog prices. However, I have found quality differences between Performance/Nashbar "house label" products versus high-end brand names; on the other hand, the clothing I've gotten from Voler and Boure have uniformly been excellent. Sometimes, you do indeed get what you pay for.

    As Michigander suggests, some clothing isn't bike-specific--think of gloves, layering undergarments, balaclavas, for example--and can be found on sale in sporting good stores, outlets (both mail order and real-life stores), etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •