Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-06, 07:50 PM   #1
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,246
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Dog Deterrent

I came across a recommendation for this product in an article about running, and it sounded like a good idea. It's also not very expensive, which is appealing.

http://www.kiienterprises.com/

http://www.kiienterprises.com/dazer/index.html

The Dazer II

"Using the latest ultrasonic technology, the DAZER II produces a discomforting but not harmful high powered sound, audible to dogs but not to humans. Help stop the approach of unwanted dogs at up to 20 feet. Also a useful aid in training dogs. Made of lightweight high impact plastic, the DAZER II features a belt clip and low battery indicator, includes a long life 9 volt ENERGIZERŪ battery and is MADE IN USA."



Have any of you heard of this product and/or used it? If so, what do you think?
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 08:36 PM   #2
Michigander
Senior Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
The original one failed on my grandpa.
__________________
Bring back the Sig Test!


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 10:59 PM   #3
SSP
Software for Cyclists
 
SSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redding, California
Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
Posts: 4,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I doubt it works, and here's a review that says as much:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/?doc_id=194#4864

Per the author of that review, pepper spray is still the best deterrent for dogs (and, unlike the Dazer, it could be used in a confrontation with a two-legged varmint too):

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ...doc_id=194&v=a
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 05:12 AM   #4
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)
Posts: 13,141
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
If there's an aggressive dog that wants a piece of you, you don't want a product that "helps stop" the dog. I've never read a single actual user comment that said these things work. I think they're snake oil.
I've read stories of dogs that keep trying to attack even with their eyes clamped shut and watering like crazy, face full of pepper spray. I don't think an uncomfortable noise will even faze them.
ItsJustMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 06:21 AM   #5
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A blast from my Delta Airhorn (a.k.a., AirZound) usually does the trick for me. And, it may alert the owner of the dog as well.
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 07:02 AM   #6
colinm
Minneapolis
 
colinm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Just under Minneapolis
Bikes: 1998 Stumpjumper Pro, SE Draft, 1984 Bianchi ATB, 1980? Raleigh Comp GS, Civia Loring
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blast from a .410.

Kidding.

When a dog runs at me I turn into him, if I can, and stop. Freaks them out, they don't expect it. I've had Dobermans so I'm pretty comfortable around dogs. And if I get eaten, I get rich...right??...erm...
colinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 07:46 AM   #7
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX
Posts: 2,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got a 115dB siren on my trike. I haven't had the chance to try it on a dog, and hope I never will. Fortunately there are leash laws in effect in my city, so I probably won't have a problem...
jeff-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 06:36 PM   #8
Michigander
Senior Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff-o
I've got a 115dB siren on my trike. I haven't had the chance to try it on a dog, and hope I never will. Fortunately there are leash laws in effect in my city, so I probably won't have a problem...
Haven't you ever seen a hot, but stupid 90 pound spinner chick with a 100+ pound attack dog? I've been charged by such a dog.
__________________
Bring back the Sig Test!


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 06:43 AM   #9
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
Posts: 2,993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
water bottle with a squirt to the face, so far seems to work
HAMMER MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 07:37 AM   #10
Nermal
Senior Member
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Farmington, NM
Bikes: Giant Cypress SX
Posts: 2,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thinking about one of those nylon straps worn around the neck that often carry a key or ID card. Maybe one with real stout fittings and a big wad of heavy keys. Probably too awkward to swing from a bike, though.
__________________
Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Nermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 09:08 AM   #11
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ultrasound has been proven not to work in the slightest. Better off with an airzound, a whistle, pepper spray, etc.

I yell "GO HOME or GET OFF THE COUCH" when the mutt gets close. Had worked perfectly so far - they stop dead in their tracks, which lets me get away before they run again
aikigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 09:40 AM   #12
colinm
Minneapolis
 
colinm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Just under Minneapolis
Bikes: 1998 Stumpjumper Pro, SE Draft, 1984 Bianchi ATB, 1980? Raleigh Comp GS, Civia Loring
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some sort of device that activates on the pull of a string - a ripcord, let's say - that dispenses doggie biscuits from a compartment at the rear of the bicycle. Like chaff from an F-16. Countermeasures?
colinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 10:45 AM   #13
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 fair sized dogs. (105 and 110 lbs). A couple of years ago they had a run in with a skunk. While it drove us nuts until we could bath them properly it did not bother them at all. I doubt pepper spray would stop them, but it might make them really really angry.

That is one thing I like about the idea behind the Dazer. It is very unlikely to anger a dog. Also, if it works, it is apt to work on all the dogs present. Pepper spray and the like has a problem with more than one dog.

The article posted saying the dazer did not work is likely right in its observation, but wrong in the conclusion. If you invade a dogs territory, which is what the 'tester' did, that kind of device is not going to be effective. When you are someone fun to chase outside the dogs home the deterrent effect can overcome the fun to chase asect of a cyclist.

Remember alway look at the tail!
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 01:26 PM   #14
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!
 
baj32161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Burlington ON, Canada
Bikes: '11 Cannondale Synapsese 5 105
Posts: 5,931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSP
I doubt it works, and here's a review that says as much:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/?doc_id=194#4864

Per the author of that review, pepper spray is still the best deterrent for dogs (and, unlike the Dazer, it could be used in a confrontation with a two-legged varmint too):

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ...doc_id=194&v=a

Did anyone read that guy's bike tour journal? It was phenomenal!!!
__________________
“A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence. ”

― Bruce Lee
baj32161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 02:15 PM   #15
mcavana
the commutor / tourer
 
mcavana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: jacksonville fl
Bikes: trek 6700 turned touring machine, giant TCR2
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRacer
A blast from my Delta Airhorn (a.k.a., AirZound) usually does the trick for me. And, it may alert the owner of the dog as well.
+1 works like a charm for me too...
__________________
"Ready to retire, just can't afford it yet!"
mcavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 03:19 PM   #16
Keith99
Senior Member
 
Keith99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRacer
A blast from my Delta Airhorn (a.k.a., AirZound) usually does the trick for me. And, it may alert the owner of the dog as well.
Like the idea. Even if it "fails" meaning the dog does not give up the odds are very very good that it will at least flinch and that should be enough for you to be gone.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 03:50 PM   #17
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!
 
C_Heath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Off the back @ 188 BPM's
Bikes: 2008 Felt F3 :)
Posts: 2,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
screw all those...lol........



Ive never had one to "keep coming" after a half bottle of this. Im serious, I blast him with half the can. They make it every week. They remember me the next time I come by. Just stand and bark and bark. I understand dog language and while hes standing in the edge of the yard, I hear him say " Im bad! Im a Baaaaad ass dog! However, I dont want anymore halt please, kind sir. Proceed but please remember, Im bad!

lol
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I don't like any other exercise or sports, really.
....

http://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
C_Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 04:17 PM   #18
Banzai
Jet Jockey
 
Banzai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike.
Posts: 4,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
The only time a dog ran after me, I stopped and very firmly told it "NO!" I think it was shocked at being addressed in such a fasion with words it understood. It sat down and looked at me in confusion, wondering why I didn't want to play the fun chase game.
__________________
Good night...and good luck
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 04:26 PM   #19
Banzai
Jet Jockey
 
Banzai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike.
Posts: 4,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinm
Like chaff from an F-16. Countermeasures?
So now you just need to ops test what dispense program works against this particular canine threat. Certain "models" may have excellent flare rejection or chaff/beam processing logic (dependent upon seeking mechanism.)
Finding flares in the right gain control overshoot window, as well as micron signature, or chaff in the proper wavelength/pulsewidth will be crucial. (I.e. flavor of biscuit.)
Then you need to know what rates overcome the CCM (Counter-countermeasures) logic. A dispense rate of one at a time may trip the logic, which will result in squint/rate bias/lambda comp (heat) or beam/chaff doppler search programming (radar), which will still result in a successful guide. You need a dispense rate that will first trigger the logic, and then convince it that a subsequent countermeasure is a target. (I.e. enough biscuits to attract it's attention!)
Clearly, there are many technical issues to be worked out with this.
__________________
Good night...and good luck
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 04:31 PM   #20
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,640
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka
I came across a recommendation for this product in an article about running, and it sounded like a good idea. It's also not very expensive, which is appealing.

http://www.kiienterprises.com/

http://www.kiienterprises.com/dazer/index.html

The Dazer II

"Using the latest ultrasonic technology, the DAZER II produces a discomforting but not harmful high powered sound, audible to dogs but not to humans. Help stop the approach of unwanted dogs at up to 20 feet. Also a useful aid in training dogs. Made of lightweight high impact plastic, the DAZER II features a belt clip and low battery indicator, includes a long life 9 volt ENERGIZERŪ battery and is MADE IN USA."



Have any of you heard of this product and/or used it? If so, what do you think?
Have you had any success with other methods in all your miles?
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-06, 07:23 PM   #21
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,246
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Have you had any success with other methods in all your miles?

Ummmmmm ..... you might already know this story ... and although I guess you could say I was "successful", it is the reason why I'm looking for an alternate method:

http://www.machka.net/brevet/2005_300.htm

I'll just post the pertinent section of the story:

"With about 50 kms to go, darkness fell and I was out there all alone at night ... and I don't like that. Of course, the typical night time thing happened ... I was motoring along at top speed, and getting absolutely nowhere. Sometimes these rides seem to take forever at night.

But just to liven things up a bit, all of a sudden out of the darkness, there was a HUGE white dog in the ditch coming after me ... I picked up speed then heard a different tone of a bark ... something deeper. There were TWO of them, and I couldn't see the second one. Plus the second one only barked twice so I couldn't even place where it was from the barking. Two dogs scare me much worse than just one because when there's two, they are pack hunting, and they are sneaky! I would have loved to have seen my computer just then ... I think the speed I reached is something like what I want to do on my time trials!! I was shaking so hard pedalling was difficult when I'd outdistanced them.

Then just when I had calmed down a bit, I heard a rustling sort of sound coming from the other side of the road, and when I glanced over there was another HUGE white dog right there by my leg. It had snuck up on me!! I let out an involuntary scream that would have woken the dead ... and the dog stopped dead in its tracks! After that I was sprinting at every little rustle."




I hit upon another method that worked on my 1000K randonnee. I was climbing a fairly steep hill, and because, at the time, I wasn't very good at hills, I decided to get off and walk ... so I dismounted. Just then a huge black and brown dog came running toward me from a little farm just there. I have a terrible time starting again on a hill, so hopping on my bicycle was not an option ... so I was just standing there with this dog barrelling toward me. I moved a bit so my bicycle was between me and the dog, and then started walking slowly up the hill. As I did so, I started talking in a normally toned, calm voice ... I don't have a clue what I said, but I think I was talking about the hill and the trees and how nice it must be to live in such a pretty area ... and all of a sudden the dog stopped running, let out a couple big "WOOF"s and walked back to the farm. I'm guessing I didn't appear to be threatening ... so it didn't have to defend the farm.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 12:08 AM   #22
jcm
Gemutlichkeit
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzai_f16
So now you just need to ops test what dispense program works against this particular canine threat. Certain "models" may have excellent flare rejection or chaff/beam processing logic (dependent upon seeking mechanism.)
Finding flares in the right gain control overshoot window, as well as micron signature, or chaff in the proper wavelength/pulsewidth will be crucial. (I.e. flavor of biscuit.)
Then you need to know what rates overcome the CCM (Counter-countermeasures) logic. A dispense rate of one at a time may trip the logic, which will result in squint/rate bias/lambda comp (heat) or beam/chaff doppler search programming (radar), which will still result in a successful guide. You need a dispense rate that will first trigger the logic, and then convince it that a subsequent countermeasure is a target. (I.e. enough biscuits to attract it's attention!)
Clearly, there are many technical issues to be worked out with this.
I suggest a dispense rate ratio of, say, 1:4 - beef jerky/dog bisquit. That'll ground 'em.
jcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 12:54 AM   #23
ponchotempest
[CTRL Z]
 
ponchotempest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NJ
Bikes: DBR xts-3, Interloc hardtail (Reynolds 853), old trek 820, Salsa LaRaza, Guerciotti
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If not pepperspray, they do understand a good hard boot. Not that you should go kicking dogs, I love them myself. But if you show it whos boss, it won't bother other riders, who might not be able to outrun it.

Your right foot is the only language a violent dog understands.
ponchotempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 08:00 AM   #24
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,640
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka
Ummmmmm ..... you might already know this story ... and although I guess you could say I was "successful", it is the reason why I'm looking for an alternate method:

http://www.machka.net/brevet/2005_300.htm

I'll just post the pertinent section of the story:

"With about 50 kms to go, darkness fell and I was out there all alone at night ... and I don't like that. Of course, the typical night time thing happened ... I was motoring along at top speed, and getting absolutely nowhere. Sometimes these rides seem to take forever at night.

But just to liven things up a bit, all of a sudden out of the darkness, there was a HUGE white dog in the ditch coming after me ... I picked up speed then heard a different tone of a bark ... something deeper. There were TWO of them, and I couldn't see the second one. Plus the second one only barked twice so I couldn't even place where it was from the barking. Two dogs scare me much worse than just one because when there's two, they are pack hunting, and they are sneaky! I would have loved to have seen my computer just then ... I think the speed I reached is something like what I want to do on my time trials!! I was shaking so hard pedalling was difficult when I'd outdistanced them.

Then just when I had calmed down a bit, I heard a rustling sort of sound coming from the other side of the road, and when I glanced over there was another HUGE white dog right there by my leg. It had snuck up on me!! I let out an involuntary scream that would have woken the dead ... and the dog stopped dead in its tracks! After that I was sprinting at every little rustle."




I hit upon another method that worked on my 1000K randonnee. I was climbing a fairly steep hill, and because, at the time, I wasn't very good at hills, I decided to get off and walk ... so I dismounted. Just then a huge black and brown dog came running toward me from a little farm just there. I have a terrible time starting again on a hill, so hopping on my bicycle was not an option ... so I was just standing there with this dog barrelling toward me. I moved a bit so my bicycle was between me and the dog, and then started walking slowly up the hill. As I did so, I started talking in a normally toned, calm voice ... I don't have a clue what I said, but I think I was talking about the hill and the trees and how nice it must be to live in such a pretty area ... and all of a sudden the dog stopped running, let out a couple big "WOOF"s and walked back to the farm. I'm guessing I didn't appear to be threatening ... so it didn't have to defend the farm.
That's pretty scary, I've been lucky in the dark so far. One time during the day I did see a pack of dogs running together in the woods. Fortunately we were on motorcycles and could out run them. But even then it was scary as we did not know our way around very well. We could have run into a stone wall or something that would have stopped our escape.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 12:47 PM   #25
Retro Grouch
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,755
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aikigreg
ultrasound has been proven not to work in the slightest.
Hmmm. My wife and I were riding in Mississippi with another tandem team when a medium sized dog came running at us. The other stoker calmly took a Bic lighter sized gizmo out of her husband's jersey pocket, pointed it at the dog and made a high pitched eek. The dog acted like he ran into an invisible wall, turned around and walked off. I'll admit that's only one example, but it flies in the face of "Proven not to work in the slightest."

We haven't found the need for any dog counter measures. My theory (which I hope isn't disproven on tomorrow's ride) is that dogs sense the people who are afraid of dogs and harrass those people. My wife usually talks baby talk to them: "Hello baby. How you doing today? Do you have fun chasing bike riders?" The dogs generally run alongside of us for a while and eventually get tired and go back home.

My favorite dog story dates back about 25 or 30 years. I was riding in southern Michigan with my neighbor when a medium sized dog came running full speed down a grassy hill toward us. My neighbor saw him coming and yelled "Sit!" in his most commanding voice. The dog certainly knew what to do when he heard that. He planted all four paws but his momentum caused him to do a couple of summersaults before coming to rest in a perfect sit position.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:35 PM.