Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Nsaids (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/190984-nsaids.html)

chromedome 04-25-06 09:40 PM

Nsaids
 
Maybe this isn't a new post, but I'm curious about the different regimens that folks have in using non-steroidal anti-inflammatories in their cycling.

operator 04-25-06 09:51 PM

Pot works.

chromedome 04-25-06 09:55 PM

Actually, it doesn't. Either does liquor, acid, crank, ludes, 'yote , or betel nut.

operator 04-25-06 09:56 PM

Blasphemy!

eubi 04-26-06 06:06 AM

Advil works for me when my knees really hurt.

Otherwise, just a massage does the trick.

Saintly Loser 04-26-06 06:45 AM

Aspirin works pretty well for me. Better than Advil for muscle and joint aches. Advil seems better for headaches. Tylenol has little or no effect on me.

Caveat: one thing they teach us in the motorcycle world is that aspirin and some other NSAIDs are bad when riding, because they're blood thinners, which can make bleeding harder to stop in case of an accident.

And, contrary to what Chromedome says, I find that a drink or two after a really long ride does have a pleasant muscle-relaxant effect.

acantor 04-26-06 08:25 AM

On multiday tours I carry both ibubrophen (for acute inflammation) and an over-the-counter muscle relaxant (for chronic neck/shoulder pain). Sometimes I use the muscle relaxant to take the edge off neck and shoulder pain. Stretching helps, too. This year I shortened the stem on my bike in an effort to reduce the postural causes of the pain.

Nermal 04-26-06 08:42 AM

Advil works for me for inflamation and joint pain. For inflamation, it takes 300mg, which is 3 OTC tablets. Long term use at this dosage can cause kidney malfunction, so I wouldn't use it as a matter of routine.

Nightshade 04-26-06 09:57 AM

Hmmmmmmmm.........
If you ride to the point of , or with , pain what's the point??

This makes no sense to me unless you want / need to prove you're
a macho man or are having joint issue that need a doctor's care.

Last I knew pain was your bodies warning that something is wrong.

phoebeisis 04-26-06 10:26 AM

Aleve-works ok
 
Aleve(Naprosyn-OTC-or Naproxen)-generic versions-works pretty well for me. It is probably better not to use it more than every other day(to avoid the kidney problems Nermal mentioned). Use 220 or 440 mg at a time; it lasts for 8-12 hours.If you limit your use to 3 times a week (no more than 6 tablets a week-preferably less), and don't take other OTC pain meds at the same time, you will die from something other than aleve poisoning your kidneys.
Tightwad-yeah pain is a warning-it is warning you that you are 55 yo.You can push thru the mild pain, or you can sit in a rocker.You are lucky if you don't have any age aches. Luck,Charlie

supcom 04-26-06 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tightwad
Hmmmmmmmm.........
If you ride to the point of , or with , pain what's the point??

This makes no sense to me unless you want / need to prove you're
a macho man or are having joint issue that need a doctor's care.

Last I knew pain was your bodies warning that something is wrong.

Ever do intervals? They hurt - a lot. But that's how you get faster.

Ever do hilly centuries on consecutive days? One day two, ibuprofen is your best riding buddy.

Multiday tours can take their toll. Minor aches and pains are no reason to quit cycling. A little muscle soreness is expected from time to time. NSAIDs help take the edge off the soreness. It's not a matter of being a macho man (or woman).

I have an issue with one knee that sometimes gives me problems on long hilly routes. I like to take an iboprofen at the beginning and every four hours during the ride. It seems to help prevent the knee pain and it's easier to prevent it than to deal with it after it occurs.

Most aches and pains don't need a doctor's care any more than the occasional headache. If you have a major joint problem, NSAIDs aren't going to solve it and are no substitute for medical care. But most cycling pain is from overuse and can be managed quite nicely with NSAIDs.

Nightshade 04-26-06 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supcom
Ever do intervals? They hurt - a lot. But that's how you get faster.

Ever do hilly centuries on consecutive days? One day two, ibuprofen is your best riding buddy.

Multiday tours can take their toll. Minor aches and pains are no reason to quit cycling. A little muscle soreness is expected from time to time. NSAIDs help take the edge off the soreness. It's not a matter of being a macho man (or woman).

I have an issue with one knee that sometimes gives me problems on long hilly routes. I like to take an iboprofen at the beginning and every four hours during the ride. It seems to help prevent the knee pain and it's easier to prevent it than to deal with it after it occurs.

Most aches and pains don't need a doctor's care any more than the occasional headache. If you have a major joint problem, NSAIDs aren't going to solve it and are no substitute for medical care. But most cycling pain is from overuse and can be managed quite nicely with NSAIDs.

I'm sorry mate, but that's your reality. NO ONE should hurt while riding unless there is something
wrong ( like over doing it) or you've injured yourself being a macho person. A little soreness as you
build muscles is fine but REAL pain requiring heavy hitter pain meds is just plain nuts in my book.
There really is a more common sense way to build your body up.

ericgu 04-26-06 06:18 PM

I try to stay away from them.

Not only can they cause problems if you use them too much, they can mask issues that you shouldn't ignore.

And I swear I read something in the last couple days that they could reduce performance.

If I'm sore after a hard workout, I'll either spend some time soaking in the hot tub or spin for 15 or 20 minutes.

operator 04-26-06 06:43 PM

Quote:

There really is a more common sense way to build your body up.
Some people seem to be lacking that.

wagathon 04-26-06 07:09 PM

I have a Motrin deficiency.

supcom 04-26-06 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tightwad
I'm sorry mate, but that's your reality. NO ONE should hurt while riding unless there is something
wrong ( like over doing it) or you've injured yourself being a macho person. A little soreness as you
build muscles is fine but REAL pain requiring heavy hitter pain meds is just plain nuts in my book.
There really is a more common sense way to build your body up.

Iboprofen is a "heavy hitter pain med"?

Little Darwin 04-27-06 07:47 AM

I add a vote for Aleve for joint inflammation and pain.

I have osteoarthritis and whenever I get some pain at the end of a ride, I take some Aleve, and I recover much better. Th pain relief and anti-inflammatory properties work well in my case.

I think that taking a pian killer should be only as needed, and if needed routinely once or more each week, you should discuss it with your doctor.

acantor 04-28-06 10:46 AM

Different kinds of pain need to be addressed in different ways. Taxing muscles that have not been used in awhile will cause aches. My understanding is that this is normal, and that soreness passes after several days. I don’t think anything is wrong if someone elects to take the edge off this kind of pain by taking an analgesic for a couple of days.

I have chronic pain in my neck and shoulders, and days in the saddle aggravates it. When it gets especially intense — which is maybe six or eight days per year — I take an over-the-counter muscle relaxant. I would prefer not to take it, but the drug make it possible for me to participate in my favourite outdoor activity.

There are also pains that result from bad bicycle biomechanics. Pain killers might offer symptomatic relief, but do not address the causes, such as improper fit, incorrect riding technique, or inappropriate gearing. I think it is a very bad idea to take pain killers when what's needed is to change the position of the seat or a cleat, learn a different pedaling style, or upgrade the gearing.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:49 PM.