Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   just got back from hospital (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/198332-just-got-back-hospital.html)

SisuMess 05-23-06 10:45 PM

just got back from hospital
 
well..I've had countless wrecks in the last 20 years but I just had my first one caused by a pedestrian. Downtown Pittsburgh, lady took four steps onto the road then looked left to see me hauling about 20mph 2 feet from her face...BLAUGH!!!!! This was one of the biggest hits I've ever heard..majority of the impact taken to my face...bloody nose, huge lip, chipped tooth, concussion, and swollen eye. tons of road rash from going down on my left side. this pissed me off so bad..i've had so many close calls with pedestrians but never anything like this...had to vent.....got some fun pills out of it but that won't help my bent bars and thrashed seat...:mad:

Nermal 05-23-06 11:15 PM

Sadness. Peds are so totally unpredictable, I sometimes wish we could put up chicken wire to keep them out of traffic and other trouble.

Hey! Get back on before you lose your nerve.

the beef 05-23-06 11:36 PM

Ah man, hope you feel better now. Those kinds of things are no fun.

Cavedog 05-23-06 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisuMess
well..I've had countless wrecks in the last 20 years but I just had my first one caused by a pedestrian. Downtown Pittsburgh, lady took four steps onto the road then looked left to see me hauling about 20mph 2 feet from her face...BLAUGH!!!!! This was one of the biggest hits I've ever heard..majority of the impact taken to my face...bloody nose, huge lip, chipped tooth, concussion, and swollen eye. tons of road rash from going down on my left side. this pissed me off so bad..i've had so many close calls with pedestrians but never anything like this...had to vent.....got some fun pills out of it but that won't help my bent bars and thrashed seat...:mad:


The tooth is the worst. Perhaps her auto policy can pay for some of your medical/lost wages? Doesn't PA have PIP?

Ziemas 05-24-06 12:08 AM

What happened to the woman you hit?

DannoXYZ 05-24-06 12:22 AM

Yeah, if you're gonna take a hit, make sure you land on some soft pink flesh. Causes you fewer injuries hitting that at 20mph than the pavement...

Bikepacker67 05-24-06 12:42 AM

Tonight...

MUP between Okanagan and Skaha lakes...
Pair of gaymen holding hands across both lanes...
Dressed all in black...

Thank God for their white poodle bounding back and forth across the path (off leash of course).

古強者死神 05-24-06 02:10 AM

You tried a last second dodge and took the fall?

I dont know what I would do, makes sence to brace for impact and run right into her. You would get hurt much less, if even at all and she would learn her lesson big time.

But its easier to say than do, especially if she was a cute lady.

Downtown here I would stay middle lane, helps with the cars and the peds.

SisuMess 05-24-06 08:14 AM

well 12 hours later face is still pounding and my shoulder burrrrrnnssss...but i'll be alright. but in response to the comments..pretty much had no time to react. i caught her last second because i was looking up the check the lights and make sure the intersection was clear. there will be no insurance or other compensation..there was no info exchanged and no police report...which kind of surprised me. the lady's condition was about like mine..bad cut on her chin and rib pain...soo that's all i really know

zowie 05-24-06 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BikerBrent
Perhaps her auto policy can pay for some of your medical/lost wages?

:rolleyes:

PatrickMcCabe 05-24-06 11:35 AM

I feel your pain, had a very similar thing happen to me last year....Hang in there...

scottmorrison99 05-24-06 10:38 PM

Think human airbag!;)

Little Darwin 05-25-06 02:23 AM

I sympathize with your pain and suffering, but I simply have to ask...

If you saw her well enough to see her take four steps into the street and still couldn't avoid her, why is this about a pedestrian causing the accident and not about what you learned from the incident?

Don't get me wrong, she should have looked before stepping out, and it sounds like this accident was clearly her fault.

However, unless she was running using short choppy steps, that sounds like you had at least two seconds between when you first saw her and when you hit her. This seems like enough time for you to have taken actions to avoid the accident or at least minimize your damage.

Defensive driving practices aren't just for when you are inside an automobile.

EDIT: Just reread your follow-up that you didn't see her until the last second, but leaving the message because I think in some cases this forum is anti-"everyone not on a bike" even though it is not expressed in this thread... Also, I would be interested about what lessons you think we should take from this... "Pedestrians are idiots" is not a lesson. :D

dalmore 05-25-06 06:07 AM

I saw a runner get plastered by a inline skater this past weekend. She got the worst of it as the skater grabbed her in an apparent attempt to stay upright. Ended up tackling her as a result. I had passed her earlier, taking the John Deere line to do so when she darted left unexpectedly. But I decided not to chastise her about her unpredictable actions on the path and her ipod which meant she couldn't her my bell. I felt guilty.

古強者死神 05-25-06 07:31 AM

Ipod the cellphone of sporting.

SisuMess 05-25-06 08:09 AM

dg57....i guess i'll comment on a couple of your thoughts. first, this forum is not anti non bikers...everyone in here walks as well. second, i never said pedestrians are idiots so not sure of your reference. so the lesson i'd leave everyone with, although my intention was not to teach a lesson, is if you ride in the city and haven't hit a pedestrian yet, you probably will and it hurts!
Thanks
..and good luck on your tour de cure donations. i'm doing the pittsburgh leg or else i'd throw you a couple bones.

SisuMess 05-25-06 08:10 AM

well..after 3 seconds of further thought i guess i have a real lesson to address....possibly worthy of a new thread....yeah it's worthy of a new thread..see my new thread in 'General'

Little Darwin 05-25-06 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisuMess
dg57....i guess i'll comment on a couple of your thoughts. first, this forum is not anti non bikers...everyone in here walks as well. second, i never said pedestrians are idiots so not sure of your reference. so the lesson i'd leave everyone with, although my intention was not to teach a lesson, is if you ride in the city and haven't hit a pedestrian yet, you probably will and it hurts!
Thanks
..and good luck on your tour de cure donations. i'm doing the pittsburgh leg or else i'd throw you a couple bones.

I didn't mean to say that you were calling pedestrians idiots, I just knew that a few people here might and threw it in for humor (although apparently not really very humorous).

BTW - Your other thread is an interesting thought provoker. Thanks!

And good luck on your Tour de Cure ride. I hope your injuries don't interfere with the fun!

pahearn 05-25-06 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Thank God for their white poodle bounding back and forth across the path (off leash of course).

LMAO!

-p


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:34 AM.