Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   The History of Biking: Part One - Milk! (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/198561-history-biking-part-one-milk.html)

Coyote! 05-24-06 07:51 PM

The History of Biking: Part One - Milk!
 
OK, I'm reading through Zinn's maintenance books and there's a reference to using condensed milk in inner tube to plug holes when they develop. It ressurected an old memory. LONG, LONG ago a biker came through My Home Town USA and struck up some chat with my dad. In the course of talk he [the biker] mentioned his tubes were filled with milk!! I thought it odd at the time but haven't thought of it for years.

Any one else ever hear about this or actually do it?

catatonic 05-24-06 08:25 PM

Never heard of it, but it does make sense...condensed mlik is pretty thick crap. I bet slime was inspired by condensed milk.

Katrogen 05-24-06 09:55 PM

Slime bad for roadie tires. :)

catatonic 05-26-06 02:22 PM

I think slime is bad period...ever had the joy of removing a "slime pre-filled" tube? The smell of that crap in the released air is nauseating. It's like Mold somehow found a way to rot, and then that rot somehow got infected, and the bacteria causing the infection has a bad case of gas. :(

diff_lock2 06-01-06 07:52 AM

whats rong with slime? does it work, i hear it fills up the hole to prevent leaking... does it do that?

Nermal 06-01-06 08:40 AM

Would it be alright, catatonic, if I copy that as a signature line on another forum? I'll give credit to catatonic, of course.

catatonic 06-01-06 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nermal
Would it be alright, catatonic, if I copy that as a signature line on another forum? I'll give credit to catatonic, of course.


Go ahead man, I've never had problems with being quoted....heck some of my more..."wrong" quotes were being splayed around videogame forums for a while now :p

Nermal 06-01-06 03:22 PM

Thank you.

operator 06-01-06 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diff_lock2
whats rong with slime? does it work, i hear it fills up the hole to prevent leaking... does it do that?


Slime is just ********. Extra weight + smells + crap gushes out when you try and take it out for a real tube change. There's nothing slime can do better than a stick on patch.

webist 06-01-06 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catatonic
I think slime is bad period...ever had the joy of removing a "slime pre-filled" tube? The smell of that crap in the released air is nauseating. It's like Mold somehow found a way to rot, and then that rot somehow got infected, and the bacteria causing the infection has a bad case of gas. :(

Wow! Don't put your head under the covers.

catatonic 06-01-06 06:19 PM

putting my head under the covers is usually more pleasant and personally rewarding than slime stench.

I-Like-To-Bike 06-02-06 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catatonic
putting my head under the covers is usually more pleasant and personally rewarding than slime stench.

Oh come on. Tell how you really feel about Slime!

lotek 06-02-06 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catatonic
Never heard of it, but it does make sense...condensed mlik is pretty thick crap. I bet slime was inspired by condensed milk.

and you think Slime smells bad?
try old condensed milk, I recall back in the late 70's someone blowing a tire
and almost blowing lunch and gagging due to the smell. . .
Its ok as a temporary get you home fix but damn, change the tube when you
get there.

Personally I like Rock n' Roll Tube Spooge works better than tufo, slime
or condensed milk

catatonic 06-02-06 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotek
and you think Slime smells bad?
try old condensed milk, I recall back in the late 70's someone blowing a tire
and almost blowing lunch and gagging due to the smell. . .
Its ok as a temporary get you home fix but damn, change the tube when you
get there.

Personally I like Rock n' Roll Tube Spooge works better than tufo, slime
or condensed milk


After smelling what rancid milk smells like, I fully believe that.

edzo 06-02-06 08:34 AM

stans no tubes latex solution inside a normal tube works great
and has no smell. it is latex and somehow plugs holes awesomely


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:49 AM.