Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Saris Bones 3

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Saris Bones 3

    After much research, I have decided that I would like to buy the Saris Bones 3 rack. The trouble I have is that the Saris site, being American, does not make any reference to my English car. My car is a Ford Escort Estate (1997), which as far as I can see looks to be very similar to the Ford Escort Wagon. Will the Saris Bones 3 fit on this type of car? Thanks.

  2. #2
    45 miles/week Eggplant Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    2,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFAIK a saris bones 3 will fit damn near anything. I've got one and it's EXTREMELY flexible. It fits the flat back of my minivan, or you can move the legs so it's a big arch and will go over a trunk + spoiler, or anything in between. The only things it might not fit well would be cars where the rear of the car cannot support weight well, like some sports cars where there is no bumper or anything.
    Treasurer, HHCMF Club
    Now living in the land of the cheesesteak.
    But working at a job where I can't surf BikeForums all day any more...

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggplant Jeff
    AFAIK a saris bones 3 will fit damn near anything. I've got one and it's EXTREMELY flexible. It fits the flat back of my minivan, or you can move the legs so it's a big arch and will go over a trunk + spoiler, or anything in between. The only things it might not fit well would be cars where the rear of the car cannot support weight well, like some sports cars where there is no bumper or anything.
    Thanks - thats all I needed to know. Only decision left now is what colour to get

  4. #4
    Skin-Pounder Bikes-N-Drums's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Clarkston (Atlanta, GA., USA)
    Posts
    491
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee2509
    My car is a Ford Escort Estate (1997), which as far as I can see looks to be very similar to the Ford Escort Wagon. Will the Saris Bones 3 fit on this type of car? Thanks.
    I have a Bones 3. I looked up a picture of your car and unfortunately I don't see a way the Bones rack will work on a wagon style vehicle. Bones rack is designed to rest two of its legs on the bumper and the other two legs on the trunk.
    We are the musicmakers and we are the dreamers of dreams...

  5. #5
    45 miles/week Eggplant Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    2,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you talking about bikes-n-drums? It'll fit fine. How is a wagon any different than a van? Two legs will rest on the bumper and two will press against the hatch window. You can adjust the angle of the legs to get them to fit nicely depending on how tall the hatch is.
    Treasurer, HHCMF Club
    Now living in the land of the cheesesteak.
    But working at a job where I can't surf BikeForums all day any more...

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    MI
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher - Advance 2006
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Colors?

    Quote Originally Posted by lee2509
    Thanks - thats all I needed to know. Only decision left now is what colour to get
    I just got a Bones 2 in the mail yesterday. Got it from Dero.com where it's damn cheaper than buying from the LBS or any other store. Man... I didn't know that they came in other colors besides gray.
    I'm bored and need something to do.

  7. #7
    45 miles/week Eggplant Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    2,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I like the colors, I wish I'd known about the site... although their price on the Bones 3 ($149) isn't great, it's the same as retail at my old LBS (where I got mine) except I got mine on sale for like $120 or so.
    Treasurer, HHCMF Club
    Now living in the land of the cheesesteak.
    But working at a job where I can't surf BikeForums all day any more...

  8. #8
    Senior Member larue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking
    Posts
    1,511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use a Bones 3 on a hatchback that I used to have (Scion Xa) and never had any issues with it. I don't see how a hatchback is different than a wagon?
    Leave your treadmill power trip behind.

  9. #9
    Skin-Pounder Bikes-N-Drums's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Clarkston (Atlanta, GA., USA)
    Posts
    491
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggplant Jeff
    What are you talking about bikes-n-drums? It'll fit fine. How is a wagon any different than a van? Two legs will rest on the bumper and two will press against the hatch window. You can adjust the angle of the legs to get them to fit nicely depending on how tall the hatch is.
    I suppose I hadn't considered that. Thanks!
    We are the musicmakers and we are the dreamers of dreams...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •