Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-06, 12:11 PM   #1
Blue Order
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fenders question

Last night I saw the *perfect* set of fenders for one of my bikes. Unfortunately...

Well, the fenders are only available in 26", and my bike has 700c wheels. Would trying to fit 26" fenders to this bike be impossible and/or result in a ridiculous-looking setup? Or is the difference slight enough on fenders (because they only cover a portion of the wheel) that it wouldn't be noticeable?

I'm thinking it can't be done...
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 12:41 PM   #2
GGDub
Dog is my copilot.
 
GGDub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune, Specialized Stumpjumper, Kona Jake the Snake, Single-Speed Rigid Rocky Mtn Equipe, Soon-to-be fixed Bianchi Brava
Posts: 802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can't be done without serious bending.
GGDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 01:24 PM   #3
onbike 1939
Senior Member
 
onbike 1939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fife Scotland
Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit
Posts: 1,989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGDub
Can't be done without serious bending.
+1

The mudguards would not follow the curve of the wheel. If the manufacturer makes 26" then he will make 700c also. It's just a question of finding them.
onbike 1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 01:58 PM   #4
Blue Order
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onbike 1939
+1

The mudguards would not follow the curve of the wheel. If the manufacturer makes 26" then he will make 700c also. It's just a question of finding them.
They're OEM fenders (celeste) for the Bianchi Milano. I have a celeste Bianchi with 700c wheels that would look great with a set of celeste fenders, but because these are Milano fenders, they're 26". I could scour their site, I suppose, to see if they have fenders for 700c wheels.

Anyway, I suspected fitting 26" fenders to 700c wheels couldn't be done, so thanks for the replies.
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 02:14 PM   #5
krome
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try to get the OEM fenders for the Bianchi Castro Valley. It comes with fenders and has 700c wheels. I believe they are about the same as the fenders for the Milano, but I could be wrong. If you lookup "bianchi fenders" on google, the first link will get you to the Milano fender page. The Castro Valley isn't in the parts section, but it may be a newer bike, so it isn't listed yet?

To dissent, I've looked at the fenders on a Milano, and the mounts for the struts on the fender don't seem to be secured very well(it looks like the tension from the fender keeps them in place). You don't like the SKS fenders?
krome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 02:27 PM   #6
Blue Order
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krome
Try to get the OEM fenders for the Bianchi Castro Valley. It comes with fenders and has 700c wheels. I believe they are about the same as the fenders for the Milano, but I could be wrong. If you lookup "bianchi fenders" on google, the first link will get you to the Milano fender page. The Castro Valley isn't in the parts section, but it may be a newer bike, so it isn't listed yet?

To dissent, I've looked at the fenders on a Milano, and the mounts for the struts on the fender don't seem to be secured very well(it looks like the tension from the fender keeps them in place). You don't like the SKS fenders?
Thanks for the tip on the CV, I'll check that out.

I was actually planning on the SKS Fenders. Then last night, I picked up my boss's Milano from the repair shop and rode it home to get my mail. I parked it in my apartment, went out to get some food, came back, and noticed for the first time that it had celeste fenders. Well, I probably noticed them when I first picked it up, but this time, I *really* noticed them. That's when the lightbulb went off in my head...
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 04:28 PM   #7
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,543
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Fenders, at best, are a time and materials installation for me. Even when everything matches they frequently require a bit of cutting and bending to get them installed and looking right. I would never give anybody a firm installation charge quote on fenders. If you're not starting with matching parts, you can plan on a long, frustrating afternoon trying to make them fit.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-06, 09:27 AM   #8
GGDub
Dog is my copilot.
 
GGDub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune, Specialized Stumpjumper, Kona Jake the Snake, Single-Speed Rigid Rocky Mtn Equipe, Soon-to-be fixed Bianchi Brava
Posts: 802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Fenders, at best, are a time and materials installation for me. Even when everything matches they frequently require a bit of cutting and bending to get them installed and looking right. I would never give anybody a firm installation charge quote on fenders. If you're not starting with matching parts, you can plan on a long, frustrating afternoon trying to make them fit.

Yeah, its good to have lots of spare parts lying around, like L-brackets, nuts and bolts, etc. I've only ever had one pair of PB Freddy's come with everything I need to mount them.
GGDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:45 AM.