Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-06, 09:45 PM   #1
rousseau
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rousseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Post your wind speeds today

I've found wind to be the most confounding thing about cycling. Here in southwestern Ontario, specifically around Stratford, the winds are punishing.

But what's even more confounding is the fact that Environment Canada, our government weather agency, usually gets it wrong: the wind and temperature readings they post on their website are taken at a location fully one hour away from where I live. For example, the winds today were purported to be 24 km/h, but were in fact 40 km/h with gusts up to 50 or higher. How do I know this? I was cruising along at 40 km/h at the behest of the tailwind, and the air around me was "dead."

Typical wind speeds around here are between 20 and 40 km/h, and from the west. According to my log there have been precisely 12 days this year since mid-March where the winds were below 20 km/h.

That's not much. My optimum riding conditions are between 25 and 30 degrees with full sun and minimal wind. By that definition, summer here in southern Ontario has sucked the big one this year.

Or has it? Am I becoming hyper-sensitive to wind and rain now that I'm cycling? Are these wind speeds that I'm whining about unremarkable?
rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 09:03 AM   #2
edzo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wind speed today

1 million miles-per-hour

I rode into the headwind. got to work on time.

in teh big ring
edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 09:26 AM   #3
here and there
Senior Member
 
here and there's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On my ride this morning the wind was relatively calm, around 2-4 mph and out of the SSE. Max wind expected today is 9-10 mph and out of the WSW. The stronger winds usually arrive late morning/early afternoong and 99% of the year they are out of the west (an ocean breeze) and are usually stronger than 9-10 mph. 10-15+ mph is what we usually get in the afternoon. Yet another reason I prefer to ride in the early morning
here and there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 10:19 AM   #4
ghettocruiser
Former Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: dropmachine.com
Bikes:
Posts: 4,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau
...the fact that Environment Canada, our government weather agency, usually gets it wrong: ....

Don't get me started. I've had them announce a NW wind and gotten a breeze from the SE. Once I was convinced it was just some psychological effect... until I saw the flags pointed in the wrong direction.
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 10:45 AM   #5
SoonerBent
<><
 
SoonerBent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oklahoma City
Bikes: RANS Tailwind
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The wind today in OKC has been between 4 MPH and calm. This is very rare for Oklahoma. I should be out riding. Normal is between 15 MPH and "hard to stand up".

SB
SoonerBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 12:42 PM   #6
nelson249
"Per Ardua ad Surly"
 
nelson249's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Bikes: Bianchi Specialissima, Mongoose Hilltopper ATB, Surly Cross-Check, Norco City Glide
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau
I've found wind to be the most confounding thing about cycling. Here in southwestern Ontario, specifically around Stratford, the winds are punishing.

But what's even more confounding is the fact that Environment Canada, our government weather agency, usually gets it wrong: the wind and temperature readings they post on their website are taken at a location fully one hour away from where I live. For example, the winds today were purported to be 24 km/h, but were in fact 40 km/h with gusts up to 50 or higher. How do I know this? I was cruising along at 40 km/h at the behest of the tailwind, and the air around me was "dead."

Typical wind speeds around here are between 20 and 40 km/h, and from the west. According to my log there have been precisely 12 days this year since mid-March where the winds were below 20 km/h.

That's not much. My optimum riding conditions are between 25 and 30 degrees with full sun and minimal wind. By that definition, summer here in southern Ontario has sucked the big one this year.

Or has it? Am I becoming hyper-sensitive to wind and rain now that I'm cycling? Are these wind speeds that I'm whining about unremarkable?
Always head AWAY from Wellesley... It seems from whatever direction I approach that place the wind is ALWAYS in my face. Have you had a chance to ride that newly paved stretch of road west of HWY 19 north of Stratford? If so, how is it for riding and how far is it paved? I have seen it from the car but haven't ventured down in on the bike yet.
nelson249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 04:45 PM   #7
rousseau
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rousseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson249
Always head AWAY from Wellesley... It seems from whatever direction I approach that place the wind is ALWAYS in my face. Have you had a chance to ride that newly paved stretch of road west of HWY 19 north of Stratford? If so, how is it for riding and how far is it paved? I have seen it from the car but haven't ventured down in on the bike yet.
I'm a newcomer to Stratford, so I hadn't realized that it was newly-paved. I've taken Line 36 to Mitchell, and the road is quite nice and mostly flat. It is indeed paved up to and beyond Mitchell: someone here even told me that it is paved all the way to Seaforth, though I haven't seen that with my own eyes.

Would you say that wind speeds are just as consistently high around K-W? I've been told that the K-W valley, aside from being a repository for the worst of Ohio pollution, gets less wind. I've never ridden around K-W, but, anecdotally, I do notice whenever I go there that it tends to be less windy than it is in Stratford.

<shrug>
rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 10:17 PM   #8
nelson249
"Per Ardua ad Surly"
 
nelson249's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Bikes: Bianchi Specialissima, Mongoose Hilltopper ATB, Surly Cross-Check, Norco City Glide
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau
I'm a newcomer to Stratford, so I hadn't realized that it was newly-paved. I've taken Line 36 to Mitchell, and the road is quite nice and mostly flat. It is indeed paved up to and beyond Mitchell: someone here even told me that it is paved all the way to Seaforth, though I haven't seen that with my own eyes.

Would you say that wind speeds are just as consistently high around K-W? I've been told that the K-W valley, aside from being a repository for the worst of Ohio pollution, gets less wind. I've never ridden around K-W, but, anecdotally, I do notice whenever I go there that it tends to be less windy than it is in Stratford.

<shrug>
The road I was referring to is Perth Line 39 which is one concession north of Line 36. I rode by it the other day and saw fresh blacktop and I wondered how far I it went. Stratford is on the outer edge of my riding area and didn't want to have to limp home if I went too far. I found a nice route that runs up towards Wellesley by cutting right on Perth Line 40 north of Stratford by the airstrip. After a few kilometres there is fresh pavement that runs all the way to road 107 that bisects Shakespeare. There is very little traffic on this stretch of road and there are some nice hills.

In regard to wind, I find it increases in velocity the further west I go and that it seems to get brisker once I get into Wellesley township still inside the Waterloo County line. It just seems that from whatever direction I approach Wellesley from I seem to fight a headwind. It is sort of a standing joke with a friend of mine who frequently rides into Kitchener from Wellesley as he is always complaining about the nasty headwinds when he heads for home.
nelson249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 11:16 PM   #9
rousseau
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rousseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson249
The road I was referring to is Perth Line 39 which is one concession north of Line 36. I rode by it the other day and saw fresh blacktop and I wondered how far I it went. Stratford is on the outer edge of my riding area and didn't want to have to limp home if I went too far. I found a nice route that runs up towards Wellesley by cutting right on Perth Line 40 north of Stratford by the airstrip. After a few kilometres there is fresh pavement that runs all the way to road 107 that bisects Shakespeare. There is very little traffic on this stretch of road and there are some nice hills.

In regard to wind, I find it increases in velocity the further west I go and that it seems to get brisker once I get into Wellesley township still inside the Waterloo County line. It just seems that from whatever direction I approach Wellesley from I seem to fight a headwind. It is sort of a standing joke with a friend of mine who frequently rides into Kitchener from Wellesley as he is always complaining about the nasty headwinds when he heads for home.
Oh yeah, Line 39. I rode it a few weeks ago. It has been freshly paved between Hwy 19 and Road 122 (O'Loane if you come into Stratford), a 2-km stretch, but no farther. Yes, it certainly rides quite nicely.

So Line 40 is paved all the way to Road 107? I didn't know that. I've taken the next concession north, Line 43, all the way to Road 107, and found it quite nice. On a recent car trip to Waterloo I purposely took Line 43/Erb's Road all the way to see what it was like, and was amazed by the hills. That route seems a bit daunting!

I ride every day, and tend to go between 20 and 40 kms. Once a week or so I do a ride of 50+ kms, usually out to Mitchell or St. Marys and back. One of these days I'll get up the courage to ride into K-W, but my problem is the prevailing westerly winds, which would make it prohibitive to come back the same day!
rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 11:55 PM   #10
Bekologist
totally louche
 
Bekologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A land that time forgot
Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
Posts: 18,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
boy, around these parts the wind blows the wrong way most times, and then reverses itself about the time you turn around and head for home..... a head wind is not, and never will be your friend.
Bekologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:46 AM.