Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-06, 07:01 AM   #1
fatsoforgotso
Hell bent for pleather
Thread Starter
 
fatsoforgotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: post-apocalyptic wasteland
Bikes:
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
God damned dogs and their owners

Is it such an exotic idea for some people to keep their dog on a leash if he's untrained and uncontrollable?
Over the course of a 18Km ride this morning, I've had a Bullmastiff go across the road to check me out, several muts barking like mad and trying to jump the fence of their cottages, and finally the cherry on top of the cake: a german shepherd and some other dog chased me at high speed over 150m (sprint training).
Just 2 weeks ago I was chased by no less than 3 dogs at once, while passing a run-down house.
On both instances of being chased by dogs, the owners were old ladies. Coincidence?
Pepper spray has just become a controlled weapon in this country. Must I wait until I get bitten to put a knife through the top of the dog's skull? Or should I go straight for the old bag that owns said dog and hit her with an ASP baton? Cheez...

/rant
fatsoforgotso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 08:38 AM   #2
skeeter
.
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: mobile home
Bikes:
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsoforgotso
Is it such an exotic idea for some people to keep their dog on a leash if he's untrained and uncontrollable?
Over the course of a 18Km ride this morning, I've had a Bullmastiff go across the road to check me out, several muts barking like mad and trying to jump the fence of their cottages, and finally the cherry on top of the cake: a german shepherd and some other dog chased me at high speed over 150m (sprint training).
Just 2 weeks ago I was chased by no less than 3 dogs at once, while passing a run-down house.
On both instances of being chased by dogs, the owners were old ladies. Coincidence?
Pepper spray has just become a controlled weapon in this country. Must I wait until I get bitten to put a knife through the top of the dog's skull? Or should I go straight for the old bag that owns said dog and hit her with an ASP baton? Cheez...

/rant
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dangerous_dog.jpg (43.8 KB, 207 views)
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 12:46 PM   #3
mlh122
Senior Member
 
mlh122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NW
Bikes: Trek 4500
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
its mostly old ladies because their dogs are precious and can do no wrong. other people that own dogs know that the dog is a moron and to not let them outside unleashed/unfenced. for instance, my mom has a pug, she knows the pug is an idiot and thus is never let outside without a leash and the yard has a fence 100% around the property, and pugs don't dig so its pretty secure.
mlh122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 01:33 PM   #4
bkaapcke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If I get chased, and it's not a pit bull or a rotweiller, I stop, get off the bike and kick the crap out of the dog. It relieves mucho stress and the dog owner doesn't let it out anymore. When confronted, most dogs are cowards. bk
bkaapcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 04:41 PM   #5
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!
 
C_Heath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Off the back @ 188 BPM's
Bikes: 2008 Felt F3 :)
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dogs suck, all of them

hey peta............. ,,I,,
C_Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 04:46 PM   #6
kyle!
what.
 
kyle!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SD, CA, USA
Bikes: raleigh rush hour
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you guys are ******** assh*les.


edit:much offense

Last edited by kyle!; 09-17-06 at 06:33 PM.
kyle! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 06:01 PM   #7
Nachoman
Senior Member
 
Nachoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Point Loma, CA
Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)
Posts: 14,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I hate seeing unleashed dogs when I'm biking. Potholes stink too.
__________________
.
.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Nachoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 06:57 PM   #8
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wakulla Co. FL
Bikes:
Posts: 4,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle!
you guys are ******** assh*les.


edit:much offense
Nooo, the assh*les are the irresponsible dog owners. The really sad thing is when people like this also have kids, because you know the kids are learning no more responsibility or discipline than the dog.

I see two options in these circumstances:
1. Defend yourself. Who cares if the dog gets hurt, it's just a dog. File a police report.
2. Let the dog bite. File a police report. Sue the owner for everything you can get.
CommuterRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 08:35 PM   #9
edzo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
Nooo, the assh*les are the irresponsible dog owners. The really sad thing is when people like this also have kids, because you know the kids are learning no more responsibility or discipline than the dog.

I see two options in these circumstances:
1. Defend yourself. Who cares if the dog gets hurt, it's just a dog. File a police report.
2. Let the dog bite. File a police report. Sue the owner for everything you can get.

+1.

dog owners, whose dogs are not under 100% control, are typically dinks. and the
dogs act like dinks too.

I like dogs that just look at me and then continue what they were up to and ignoring me.
that dog has a good owner. all others are examples of poor or no training, therefore, a
dumb owner.

and leash laws are there for a reason...the state knows most owners are
pretty dumb and unable to train a pet, so keep the thing on a rope
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
not all owners, most owners. are you offended ? what category are you in, seriously ?
edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 08:38 PM   #10
TomM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes: Trek5000
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzo
+1.

dog owners, whose dogs are not under 100% control, are typically dinks. and the
dogs act like dinks too.
Just like uncontrolled kids and their parents.
TomM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 08:49 PM   #11
InTheTrenches
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
Nooo, the assh*les are the irresponsible dog owners. The really sad thing is when people like this also have kids, because you know the kids are learning no more responsibility or discipline than the dog.

I see two options in these circumstances:
1. Defend yourself. Who cares if the dog gets hurt, it's just a dog. File a police report.
2. Let the dog bite. File a police report. Sue the owner for everything you can get.

That is right. It is just a dog, doing what a dog does. All this big talk of beating dogs for being dogs, why don't you idiots grow a pair and deal with the real problem, THE OWNER.
InTheTrenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 09:05 PM   #12
Brate
Dai Baka!
 
Brate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX.
Bikes: Marin-Bobcat Trail XC
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
That is right. It is just a dog, doing what a dog does. All this big talk of beating dogs for being dogs, why don't you idiots grow a pair and deal with the real problem, THE OWNER.
Im sorry somtimes I dont have the time or patience to walk up knock on the door, wait and then when and if the home owner answers say "pardon me your dog here that is chewing through my calf could you please ask it to let go I would like to continue my ride."

A kick to the muzzle from a nice stiff soled cycle shoe works just fine. I have no fondness for agressive animals or humans for that matter.
Brate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 09:12 PM   #13
knoregs
Senior Member
 
knoregs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vermont
Bikes:
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
now I know why I rarely read this forum.... what garbage!
knoregs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 09:34 PM   #14
skiahh
Senior Member
 
skiahh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: CO Springs, CO
Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brate
A kick to the muzzle from a nice stiff soled cycle shoe works just fine. I have no fondness for agressive animals or humans for that matter.
Huh... interesting. Ironic... but interesting.
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 09:40 PM   #15
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Now now skiahh. Dog kicking isn't aggressive, is it Brate???
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 09:54 PM   #16
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wakulla Co. FL
Bikes:
Posts: 4,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Self-defense is not aggression.

Aggression would be to walk up to the dog and kick it. Yeah, there's a problem with that.

The trick is not to let the dog hurt you or get you hurt, intentionally or not.
CommuterRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 10:16 PM   #17
InTheTrenches
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I been riding in the countryside for 20 years with lots of loose dogs and about zero problems. You guys must just give off a heavy PREY vibe. You got you lunch money taken when you were a kid, didn't you?
InTheTrenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 10:20 PM   #18
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Oh that's just messed up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 08:41 AM   #19
edzo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a dog bite with intent HURTS worse than you can imagine, unless you've been chomped already
and it is likely to get infected badly. dogs mouths are constantly on the ground sniffing
turds and whatnot. they are NOT clean animals in most cases

any dog doing that to me in the future is gonna get it's neck opened up

I've been chomped before, and I regret not killing the dog right then and there
and tossing the carcass to the owner
edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 09:10 AM   #20
BoSoxYacht
Banned
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzo
. dogs mouths are constantly on the ground sniffing
turds and whatnot. they are NOT clean animals in most cases
Dogs use their tongue for toilet paper. Enough said.
BoSoxYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 09:23 AM   #21
GGDub
Dog is my copilot.
 
GGDub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune, Specialized Stumpjumper, Kona Jake the Snake, Single-Speed Rigid Rocky Mtn Equipe, Soon-to-be fixed Bianchi Brava
Posts: 802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
Dogs use their tongue for toilet paper. Enough said.
...and human beings using chemically bleached tree bark from clear cut forests to wipe and then flush their vast quantities of *****, chemically treated and untreated back into the same watersheds we get our drinking water from. Enough said.
GGDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 09:30 AM   #22
BoSoxYacht
Banned
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGDub
...and human beings using chemically bleached tree bark from clear cut forests to wipe and then flush their vast quantities of *****, chemically treated and untreated back into the same watersheds we get our drinking water from. Enough said.
I love dogs, but their mouths are definitely not clean. What point are you trying to make?
BoSoxYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 12:22 PM   #23
kyle!
what.
 
kyle!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SD, CA, USA
Bikes: raleigh rush hour
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
Who cares if the dog gets hurt, it's just a dog. .

and you're just a human. how about we just hurt anything that you care about. how about grandma, she's just an old lady, let's give her a black eye, she's JUST an old lady.


it's unbelivable that people think this way. it's sickening
kyle! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 01:15 PM   #24
Nachoman
Senior Member
 
Nachoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Point Loma, CA
Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)
Posts: 14,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheTrenches
. . . why don't you idiots grow a pair and deal with the real problem, THE OWNER.
And you can get together with the dog owner and sing Kum Ba Ya. Your problems will be solved.
__________________
.
.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Nachoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 01:42 PM   #25
nelson249
"Per Ardua ad Surly"
 
nelson249's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Bikes: Bianchi Specialissima, Mongoose Hilltopper ATB, Surly Cross-Check, Norco City Glide
Posts: 1,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle!
and you're just a human. how about we just hurt anything that you care about. how about grandma, she's just an old lady, let's give her a black eye, she's JUST an old lady.


it's unbelivable that people think this way. it's sickening
People first, dogs a long way second.
nelson249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:51 PM.