I am unsure of how to properly lock my bike. I broke down and got a decent U-lock since learning how useless my cable lock was against anyone moderately determined to work for the bike. It is a pain to lunk around (I am the type of person who gets annoyed by having to cary a cell phone AND keys...they should be able to integrate both these devices into something the size of an iPod nano)... [/end rant]
Anyways, I have to carry the lock in a bookbag (even when I have no need to cary anything else). To make a long story short, I really don't want to buy a second lock just to save my wheel. Which wheel should I secure with the fram when locking up the bike? My wheels are quick release, so I have been locking the front one. 90% of the locked bikes on campus seem to use this method. However, I see that every once in a while, someone locks the rear wheel to the bike-rack. What is the advantage of this? I understand that the rear wheel will cost more to replace (AKA more profit for the theft). I have looked around online and seen it both ways as well. Almost everyplace wants me to have two locks, one for the fornt and the back. I purchased my bike for exercise and convenience, however because of theft, convenienve is quickly tilting back toward driving. I wish I could trust that I wouldn't have to lock my bike up, but I am also realistic.
What is the consensus? I assume 90% of you will say to keep locking the front wheel and frame... Do the other 10% know something I don't? Is it preference?