Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   DIY HID lights (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/233958-diy-hid-lights.html)

j-dowsett 10-03-06 08:00 AM

DIY HID lights
 
Has anyone made any?
From bits of online research it looks like it shouldn't actually be too hard. The hardest bit seems to be sourcing a 10W bulb and ballast, these still aren't cheap and factoring in postage to UK as well is putting me off.

But riding along a 14 mile cyclepath with just LEDs isn't that much fun.

2manybikes 10-03-06 08:46 AM

It's cheaper to buy a finished one. The bulb makers won't let you get a deal on one bulb or ballast. They know they will be undercutting the light makers prices. You can buy a finished light for $185 from
batteryspace.com. Last time I looked, the best you could do from the bulb and ballast makers was an experimenters kit with two bulbs a ballast and some other stuff for $500.

They alread knew what we were thinking! :)

Bikepacker67 10-03-06 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
It's cheaper to buy a finished one. The bulb makers won't let you get a deal on one bulb or ballast. They know they will be undercutting the light makers prices. You can buy a finished light for $185 from
batteryspace.com. Last time I looked, the best you could do from the bulb and ballast makers was an experimenters kit with two bulbs a ballast and some other stuff for $500.

They alread knew what we were thinking! :)

I disagree.

Just don't use the bulbs that are made for glad-to-overpay cyclists. Use low-volt (10-20V) landscape lights instead.

steveknight 10-03-06 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
I disagree.

Just don't use the bulbs that are made for glad-to-overpay cyclists. Use low-volt (10-20V) landscape lights instead.

thats not a HID light but a halogen light.
I have a batterspace setup thats fine.

Portis 10-03-06 11:33 AM

They do make HID landscape lights.

stapfam 10-03-06 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j-dowsett
Has anyone made any?
From bits of online research it looks like it shouldn't actually be too hard. The hardest bit seems to be sourcing a 10W bulb and ballast, these still aren't cheap and factoring in postage to UK as well is putting me off.

But riding along a 14 mile cyclepath with just LEDs isn't that much fun.

There are several riders that make their own lights and look on the Commuting and the long distance forums to be able to find some advice.

As you are in the UK- So am I- I suggest you look at a SMART light- Only Halogen but I was using a twin SMART Halogen last year- Just about good enough for full offroad so cyclepaths with one of these should be OK. Link below for SJS cycles and Go to rechargable lighting and I think it is the second page.

Don't know why this lamp is so cheap but it is good and normal price is about £60- I used the twin 10w version by the way

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/category-LIGHTING-111.htm

2manybikes 10-03-06 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
I disagree.

Just don't use the bulbs that are made for glad-to-overpay cyclists. Use low-volt (10-20V) landscape lights instead.

Refering to HID bulbs and ballasts, not halogen bulbs. HID bulbs are about three times as bright as halogens for the amount of juice used.

2manybikes 10-03-06 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portis
They do make HID landscape lights.


Did you do any searching? Have seen one that would be good for a bike?

The ones I saw were all over 35 watts. The ballasts were for 110v and up, and the ballasts were bigger than my light. So were the bulbs and housings.

DannoXYZ 10-03-06 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j-dowsett
Has anyone made any?
From bits of online research it looks like it shouldn't actually be too hard. The hardest bit seems to be sourcing a 10W bulb and ballast, these still aren't cheap and factoring in postage to UK as well is putting me off.

No need to re-invent the wheel. Buy a complete product that's already been designed for your application. Check this out: Trail Tech HID lights. The 13w MR11 light is equivalent to a 25-30w halogen light or easily 20x more output (lumens) than the LEDs you've been using. You can buy these for about U$110. Add a battery and you're set. :) personally, I'd clean up the mounting bracket and I want a black one... I think I hear a rattle-can shaking...

P.S. I ship car-parts to UK all the time, email me if you want something. Shipping is dirt-cheap, about 10-euros, and you'll just need to take care of VAT on your end. :)

http://www.trailtech.net/images/ligh...i_torch_sm.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:58 AM.