Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,515
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    When you've ridden them all?

    So ... when you've ridden all the paved roads in your area (and by "your area" I mean within about a 100 km radius of the place you live), and ridden many of them several times ........ then what?

    I've got two more roads to ride, and I'll have accomplished just that. To ride in other areas, exploring other paved roads, will require vehicular transporation and/or more than one day.

    I'm left with a vague, unsettled feeling of "that's it?"

    Maybe it's time to move to a new area.

  2. #2
    Two H's!!! TWO!!!!! chephy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    4,165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's easy for me: I have such lousy visual memory that I can ride the same road over and over and over again - and "discover" it afresh every time. Unless I deliberately concentrate on remembering things about an area, it probably takes me about 10-15 visits before I start getting the vague feeling that "I must've been here before"...

  3. #3
    Je pose, donc je suis. gcl8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Odense, Denmark
    Posts
    1,463
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you like map-making? You could make a map of all the roads, in whatever detail you like, which might both entertain you and be useful for others. And it could be an excuse to but a GPS.

  4. #4
    Senior Member geebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    My Bikes
    GT3 trike,Viper chopper, electric assist Viper chopper,Electric moped(Vespa style)
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is wrong with riding the same route repeatedly? I ride through town with a few variations at least a couple of hundred times a year, there is different sights every ride, different cars trying to kill you in different ways, different yelled comments (99.9% positive).
    Try riding a different bike, do intervals on different hills, somedays try to beat your best average, try for best max speed, take a cruiser style bike for a slow ride.
    Or for the ultimate change get into recumbents there is dozens of totally different rides.
    Only joshing about the 'bents, but I really don't get sick of certain routes over and over but do ride different routes for different challenges/destinations when the urge strikes.
    Greenspeed GLR trike
    JC-70 trike
    Avanti Atomic Disc mtb
    Custom electric chopper

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia suburb
    Posts
    911
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mix and match: take part of one route and link it with part of another. And I reverse routes, in effect, giving me twice as many roads to ride. That is, I don't think of the "road" so much as the route, the full effect--and these variations are, if not endless, then certainly numerous enough to keep me from getting bored. Cheaper than moving.

  6. #6
    CRIKEY!!!!!!! Cyclaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    My Bikes
    several
    Posts
    4,206
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...now ride all the sidewalks


    J/K
    There are 10 types of people in the world - the ones that can count in base 2, the ones that can't count in base 2, and the ones that didn't expect this to be in base 3.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Willimantic, Connecticut
    My Bikes
    '70s Puch sport tourer, '90 Peugeot Success.
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different seasons, different weather, different times of day - it's really never the same ride twice.

  8. #8
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,857
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka
    So ... when you've ridden all the paved roads in your area (and by "your area" I mean within about a 100 km radius of the place you live), and ridden many of them several times ........ then what?

    I've got two more roads to ride, and I'll have accomplished just that. To ride in other areas, exploring other paved roads, will require vehicular transporation and/or more than one day.

    I'm left with a vague, unsettled feeling of "that's it?"

    Maybe it's time to move to a new area.
    Try commuting. It's a challenge every day. No exploration accomplishment points though.

  9. #9
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time for a winter tour!!
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  10. #10
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dirt roads

    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  11. #11
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Home alone
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
    Posts
    6,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclepath
    Different seasons, different weather, different times of day - it's really never the same ride twice.
    +1

    For me it's not about finding new roads. If it were, I would go by car and find a lot more of them, a lot faster. I'm happy riding the same roads over and over which i do nearly every day.

  12. #12
    Huachuca Rider webist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    4,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. The OP's right. Once you have used a road once, you must wait until it is paved anew before using it again.
    Just Peddlin' Around

  13. #13
    You need a new bike supcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    5,434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After you have ridden all the roads, ride them again the other direction!

  14. #14
    Senior Member Keith99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,734
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some rides are worth repeating. Some rides are totally different if done in the opposite direction. Some rides are different enough between morning and evening or winter and summer. In the TDF some of the climbs are cat 1 one year and OC the next because of where they are in the stage. Same might apply to your local riding, you can put togeather a differetn ride even though you have done all the parts.

    Oh and as others have said, dirt roads and trails. And after that all the roads again of the MTN bike.

    I think this should hold you for a while.

    Oops almost forgot, riding partners. Change the partner(s) and you change the experience. (and of course if you find riding partners you get on well with a weekend mini tour becomes a more managable thing as you don't have to do all the planning every time.)

  15. #15
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,571
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka
    So ... when you've ridden all the paved roads in your area (and by "your area" I mean within about a 100 km radius of the place you live), and ridden many of them several times ........ then what?

    I've got two more roads to ride, and I'll have accomplished just that. To ride in other areas, exploring other paved roads, will require vehicular transporation and/or more than one day.

    I'm left with a vague, unsettled feeling of "that's it?"

    Maybe it's time to move to a new area.
    Tour.

    While you were conquering all the local roads, you had to turn around at some point. At that point you probably asked yourself... "gee, what is around that next bend or over that next hill."

    Touring is the answer... it is an amazing feeling to suddenly find out what is around the next corner/over the next hill and to continue on "discovering." If you do a long tour, the feeling of discovery continues, and you meet new people, plus you start to roll into a routine with your camping/eating/sleeping modes.

  16. #16
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,515
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec
    Tour.

    While you were conquering all the local roads, you had to turn around at some point. At that point you probably asked yourself... "gee, what is around that next bend or over that next hill."

    Touring is the answer... it is an amazing feeling to suddenly find out what is around the next corner/over the next hill and to continue on "discovering." If you do a long tour, the feeling of discovery continues, and you meet new people, plus you start to roll into a routine with your camping/eating/sleeping modes.

    Have you looked at my website (see signature line below)?

  17. #17
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,515
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by supcom
    After you have ridden all the roads, ride them again the other direction!
    I've come very close to doing that as well!! I've been in this area for 2 years now, and have covered quite a few kms in that time through all the seasons. I probably know the area better than some who have lived here most of their lives!

  18. #18
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,571
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka
    Have you looked at my website (see signature line below)?
    had not looked previously... you obviously have done more than 100 km locally. Now get some panniers and keep going.

    I don't have a website... I have toured the California coast, the length of Baja, and from California to Texas.

    Personally, I would love to tour France.

  19. #19
    Crankenstein bmclaughlin807's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)
    Posts
    4,038
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec
    Tour.

    While you were conquering all the local roads, you had to turn around at some point. At that point you probably asked yourself... "gee, what is around that next bend or over that next hill."

    Touring is the answer... it is an amazing feeling to suddenly find out what is around the next corner/over the next hill and to continue on "discovering." If you do a long tour, the feeling of discovery continues, and you meet new people, plus you start to roll into a routine with your camping/eating/sleeping modes.


    You're telling MACHKA she should tour????
    "There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson

  20. #20
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,515
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec
    had not looked previously... you obviously have done more than 100 km locally. Now get some panniers and keep going.

    I don't have a website... I have toured the California coast, the length of Baja, and from California to Texas.

    Personally, I would love to tour France.

    I've toured England, Wales, a small part of France, Australia, as well as several bits and pieces of the US and Canada. I have covered just about all the roads within about a 100 km radius of where I live, and most of them many times ... as well as many of the roads outside that range ... say within a 2000 km radius of where I live.

    I'm just sort of grasping at straws to find new places to go locally ... where I can go with the limited amount of time I've got for cycling these days. Or ways to make the old familiar routes more interesting.

  21. #21
    You need a new bike supcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    5,434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka
    I've toured England, Wales, a small part of France, Australia, as well as several bits and pieces of the US and Canada. I have covered just about all the roads within about a 100 km radius of where I live, and most of them many times ... as well as many of the roads outside that range ... say within a 2000 km radius of where I live.

    I'm just sort of grasping at straws to find new places to go locally ... where I can go with the limited amount of time I've got for cycling these days. Or ways to make the old familiar routes more interesting.
    You could try something new like riding a fixed gear. That might make a bit of a challenge. It would be different at the least.

    If you can convince some friends to start cycling long distances, you can ride with new people.

    How about getting a mountain bike and riding trails or exploring unpaved roads in your area (assuming you haven't already)?

  22. #22
    Every lane is a bike lane Chris L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
    Posts
    9,622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding all the paved roads around here could take some time -- I live in a city of 500,000, with another city of 2 million just down the road. It could lead to some very boring suburban riding. Then there is the fact that cyclists are "officially" banned from riding the M1 motorway -- not that the police would be likely to care, but that's another thread.

    Personally, I'd start on the dirt roads in the area, or start riding all the paved roads at night. Actually, I've undertaken something similar to this over the last two years (although it hasn't really been planned).
    "I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
    "We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
    My blog.
    My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.

  23. #23
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,515
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris L
    Riding all the paved roads around here could take some time -- I live in a city of 500,000, with another city of 2 million just down the road. It could lead to some very boring suburban riding. Then there is the fact that cyclists are "officially" banned from riding the M1 motorway -- not that the police would be likely to care, but that's another thread.

    Personally, I'd start on the dirt roads in the area, or start riding all the paved roads at night. Actually, I've undertaken something similar to this over the last two years (although it hasn't really been planned).

    Well, I wasn't referring to paved roads within the city limits ... I'm thinking of paved rural roads. Although, I've probably covered most of the paved roads within my city's limits anyway ... it isn't a very big city.

    The dirt roads in my area are gravel ... you know the kind with the large rocks and deep drifts of smaller gravel which make it really hard to ride on with the equipment I currently own.

  24. #24
    Senior Member cyclezealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
    My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Posts
    13,145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Canada. With the scenery Canada has to offer. SO many options. YOu have to stick to your neighborhood? AMong biking activities I like to do with my touring obsession, hop on a train and ride back home. Maybe northern Ontario just offers the same old wooded terrain? Well, I like wooded terrain.
    Scenery has unmentionable detail. Each ride I find new business to take my wife back to. Slightly different deviations of a common path to where ever. New people , animals, restarurants to stop for. And the scenery is so incredible where we are , seeing it once is not enough.
    Another activity I find interesting, just completing errands. DOn't drive to that nearby city, ride. Save on gas. The bike can be a functional activity, not just recreational.

  25. #25
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,515
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezealot
    Canada. With the scenery Canada has to offer. SO many options. YOu have to stick to your neighborhood? AMong biking activities I like to do with my touring obsession, hop on a train and ride back home. Maybe northern Ontario just offers the same old wooded terrain? Well, I like wooded terrain.
    Scenery has unmentionable detail. Each ride I find new business to take my wife back to. Slightly different deviations of a common path to where ever. New people , animals, restarurants to stop for. And the scenery is so incredible where we are , seeing it once is not enough.
    Another activity I find interesting, just completing errands. DOn't drive to that nearby city, ride. Save on gas. The bike can be a functional activity, not just recreational.

    I'm on the other half of Canada from Ontario! Right where I am, the scenery isn't anything overwhelmingly beautiful ... it's nice, but not breathtaking or anything.

    If I can afford the time to travel about 200 kms west, however, I've got the Rockies ... and cycling through there is great!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •