Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member oldokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo, Cannondale SR500
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Dinotte tail light - how wide is effective viewing angle?

    I know the Dinotte is supposed to be a very bright tail light but I have not been able to find any info on how wide the effective viewing angle is. Can anyone tell me how wide the effective viewing angle is?
    Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.

    06 C'dale SR500
    96 Bianchi San Remo for touring

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying to find this out for months. No one seems to have any decent information or photos. I'd REALLY like to see a daylight photo from behind, at a distance, with the stock seatpost mount.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    E-mail Dinotte and they will give you a prompt response.
    What is better than getting your heart rate up and saddle time?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dekindy
    E-mail Dinotte and they will give you a prompt response.
    They don't have any photos of the taillight in action. What I'd really like to see are some real world shots.

  5. #5
    auk
    auk is offline
    Coasting makes you grumpy
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp; Habanero Ti-Team; Slingshot Road; 1962 converted Raliegh fixer aka: The Beast
    Posts
    1,377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one a month ago and the brightness is amazing. Utterly blinding from direct angles. At 45 degrees, it looks like the common led blinker. On a direct line, it hurts.

    Three levels of constant light (low, med. hi) and one blinker mode.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by auk
    I bought one a month ago and the brightness is amazing. Utterly blinding from direct angles. At 45 degrees, it looks like the common led blinker. On a direct line, it hurts.

    Three levels of constant light (low, med. hi) and one blinker mode.
    Is it very visible during the daylight using the stock seatpost mount?

  7. #7
    auk
    auk is offline
    Coasting makes you grumpy
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp; Habanero Ti-Team; Slingshot Road; 1962 converted Raliegh fixer aka: The Beast
    Posts
    1,377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From directly behind, yes, it is very visible during daylight.

  8. #8
    Senior Member vger285's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    ohio
    My Bikes
    Van Dessel CRB, Giant ATX 880,Footbike track
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  9. #9
    Videre non videri
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    My Bikes
    1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike
    Posts
    3,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the light is that bright, but in a narrow cone, I'd sacrifice some of that "beam" and mount a diffusing lens of some kind, to give it a bright but wide light, much like rear lights on cars.

  10. #10
    Senior Member oldokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo, Cannondale SR500
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I accept the reality that the Dinotte is is blinding when viewed straight on. So are some normal LED tail lights I have. However, if you are off center by much, they lose most of their punch. In the daytime, they need to hit you almost directly in the eyes to be of much value.
    If I am going to pay big bucks for a Dinotte tail light, I need to know that it provides a wide viewing angle in the daytime.

    Still looking for some solid info. Picture in daylight from different angles would be great.
    Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.

    06 C'dale SR500
    96 Bianchi San Remo for touring

  11. #11
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldokie
    I accept the reality that the Dinotte is is blinding when viewed straight on. So are some normal LED tail lights I have. However, if you are off center by much, they lose most of their punch. In the daytime, they need to hit you almost directly in the eyes to be of much value.
    If I am going to pay big bucks for a Dinotte tail light, I need to know that it provides a wide viewing angle in the daytime.

    Still looking for some solid info. Picture in daylight from different angles would be great.
    I agree completely. I wonder how the light being pointed at the ground effects it's visibility in the daytime? Many owners of this light say how wonderful it is but none are willing to take a few daylight shots. Why?
    Last edited by Ziemas; 02-03-07 at 01:05 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas
    I agree completely. I wonder how the light being pointed at the ground effects it's visibility in the daytime? Many owners of this light say how wonderful it is but none are willing to take a few daylight shots. Why?
    I guess because they didn't buy it for the daytime and don't have the time to satisfy your request.

    Based on my observations, the Dinotte is the brightest bike specific product that I have seen on the market. If you want something designed specifically for daylight visibility, you probably need to look at other sources.

    I can say from personal experience that if you are riding at night with someone who has one you will ask them to ride in the back or put it on low and point it downward.
    What is better than getting your heart rate up and saddle time?

  13. #13
    Perineal Pressurized dobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In Ebritated
    Posts
    6,556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas
    Many owners of this light say how wonderful it is but none are willing to take a few daylight shots. Why?
    Cause you need to:

    1) Be part of the club
    B) Say "Pretty please"

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fixedty...15538585/show/
    This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dobber
    Cause you need to:

    1) Be part of the club
    B) Say "Pretty please"

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fixedty...15538585/show/
    Cool! Thanks a lot!

    Is that with the stock seatpost bracket which is angled downward, or did you modify it?

  15. #15
    Perineal Pressurized dobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In Ebritated
    Posts
    6,556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas
    Cool! Thanks a lot!

    Is that with the stock seatpost bracket which is angled downward, or did you modify it?
    Stock seat post mount. This position tends to rub my thigh though so I usually have it on an alternative mount directly under the seat.

    In hindsight, it may have just a hair more down angle, the bike is parked in my rack which elevates the frot wheel about an inch or so.
    This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dobber
    Stock seat post mount. This position tends to rub my thigh though so I usually have it on an alternative mount directly under the seat.

    In hindsight, it may have just a hair more down angle, the bike is parked in my rack which elevates the frot wheel about an inch or so.
    Thanks for the info.

  17. #17
    Senior Member oldokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo, Cannondale SR500
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1.
    Thanks for the daylight shots. That is what I have been looking for. Your photos suggest that it has a decent view from off center and that is what I was looking for. I use my taillight anytime I ride. I will take all the visibility I can get...day or night.
    Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.

    06 C'dale SR500
    96 Bianchi San Remo for touring

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •