Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New bicycle carrier.

    Just pulled a new 2007 Jeep Compass off the lot today. Traded in my 1998 Cherokee that has over 166,000 miles & needs $2,000 in repairs for it. Dividing the payments for the new one by the cost of repairs for the old one it wasn't a hard decision to make considering it is 5 months worth.

    The Compass is considered a cross over vehicle. It will fit mine my wife's & my dogs needs for a vehicle. We are trying a lease vs. a purchase.

  2. #2
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    I've had enough.
    Posts
    898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "bicycle carrier"
    heh, I like that!
    a crossover eh? back where I come from we call them "station wagons"

    Did you get a rack for it or is there enough room to put your 'bent in there?
    Just to brag a little bit, but I most likely made parts for that thing. My company had the contract to do alot of the sheet metal work for those.
    How's the gas milage on those?
    CrosseyedCrickt <-- The only carfree guy by choice in the auto industry.

  3. #3
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N_C
    . Dividing the payments for the new one by the cost of repairs for the old one it wasn't a hard decision to make considering it is 5 months worth.

    What??? Must be that new math they are teaching in school. An eight year old vehicle is really not that old. Face it you just wanted a new "bike carrier". Good for you, if you can afford it.

  4. #4
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    I've had enough.
    Posts
    898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spinnaker
    What??? Must be that new math they are teaching in school. An eight year old vehicle is really not that old. Face it you just wanted a new "bike carrier". Good for you, if you can afford it.
    If you drive like my wife, then an 8 year old vehicle is unheard of!

  5. #5
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spinnaker
    What??? Must be that new math they are teaching in school. An eight year old vehicle is really not that old. Face it you just wanted a new "bike carrier". Good for you, if you can afford it.
    Try a 9 yr old vehicle for the old one. Maybe you should try harder at math. I took the lease payments divided it into $2,100, it is actually more, I rounded it down & it came to 4.89, almost 5 monthly payments. Not only that the Compass has a 4 cylinder motor, huge gas savings, compared to the 4.0 L 6 on the old one. The Compass has 172 HP, the old one was 195, I think.

    Oh & BTW it would cost less then $2,100 to buy a new motor not the including bolt on items, then there is the cost of having a shop install it for me.
    Last edited by N_C; 02-17-07 at 05:55 PM.

  6. #6
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrosseyedCrickt
    "bicycle carrier"
    heh, I like that!
    a crossover eh? back where I come from we call them "station wagons"

    Did you get a rack for it or is there enough room to put your 'bent in there?
    Just to brag a little bit, but I most likely made parts for that thing. My company had the contract to do alot of the sheet metal work for those.
    How's the gas milage on those?
    CrosseyedCrickt <-- The only carfree guy by choice in the auto industry.
    For the bike I have a tray style carrier that I used on the Cherokee. All I need to add to the Compass is a receiver hitch. It is cheaper after market, there is a good place in town that will do it. Gas milage is 23 mpg for city & 26 for hwy.

  7. #7
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    I've had enough.
    Posts
    898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N_C
    For the bike I have a tray style carrier that I used on the Cherokee. All I need to add to the Compass is a receiver hitch. It is cheaper after market, there is a good place in town that will do it. Gas milage is 23 mpg for city & 26 for hwy.
    but you're leasing, right?
    do they deduct the cost of the hitch when you return the vehicle or do you just write it off?
    or do you take it off?

  8. #8
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrosseyedCrickt
    but you're leasing, right?
    do they deduct the cost of the hitch when you return the vehicle or do you just write it off?
    or do you take it off?
    I can take the hitch off or leave it on. There is no deduction for it & it may actually increas the value. At the end of the lease I can either purchase the Compass or trade it in & either lease or purchase a new vehicle.

  9. #9
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Posts
    13,643
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I looked at the Compass (as a bike carrier) a few weeks ago. (We also looked at the Liberty). The cargo area wasn't as roomy as we'd hoped, so after a short discussion we decided a small (possibly used) pickup would suffice (and be a lot cheaper). Just put a rack in the bed for mounting the bikes and we're all set to go.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

    Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

  10. #10
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,208
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually buy all of my "bike carriers" used and let someone like NC take the depreciation hit We are considering a new van for our retail business. The current front runner is one of the Freighliner/Sprinter vans in a Passenger/Cargo configuration. 22mpg OTR on biodiesel and enough room in the back for a whole fleet of bicycles! with stand up head room! BTW our newest vehicle chronologically is a 2003 with about 150k on it, the newest by purchase date is a 1996 with a current 79k on it, that one cost less than a third of a new one.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  11. #11
    Caustic Soccer Mom apclassic9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Millstone WV
    Posts
    1,759
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=N_C]Traded in my 1998 Cherokee that has over 166,000 miles & needs $2,000 in repairs for it. /QUOTE]

    Wow! You don't drive much, do you? My 2000 Outback has 251,400 miles on it.
    As with mud, life, too, slides by.

  12. #12
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=apclassic9]
    Quote Originally Posted by N_C
    Traded in my 1998 Cherokee that has over 166,000 miles & needs $2,000 in repairs for it. /QUOTE]

    Wow! You don't drive much, do you? My 2000 Outback has 251,400 miles on it.
    We would have considered an Outback, if there were a Subaru dealer in our town, their isn't & I would rather keep the money in the city I live in. The dealership is family owned, not coporate owned.

  13. #13
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoonc
    I usually buy all of my "bike carriers" used and let someone like NC take the depreciation hit We are considering a new van for our retail business. The current front runner is one of the Freighliner/Sprinter vans in a Passenger/Cargo configuration. 22mpg OTR on biodiesel and enough room in the back for a whole fleet of bicycles! with stand up head room! BTW our newest vehicle chronologically is a 2003 with about 150k on it, the newest by purchase date is a 1996 with a current 79k on it, that one cost less than a third of a new one.

    Aaron
    For a first vehicle, we only have one right now, we always buy or in this case, lease brand new. I will never buy or lease a first vehicle that is used. If we ever need to get a second vehicle it will be a used one.

  14. #14
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,524
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=apclassic9]
    Quote Originally Posted by N_C
    Traded in my 1998 Cherokee that has over 166,000 miles & needs $2,000 in repairs for it. /QUOTE]

    Wow! You don't drive much, do you? My 2000 Outback has 251,400 miles on it.
    That's all? I'm up to 295,000 miles in my 1995 Odyssey. Granted I have 5 more years on it and a bottom end rebuild at 200,000 and new valve stems at 235,000. No squeaks or rattles and the seats are still tight. The seats aren't even torn or ripped. As for carrying bikes, I can easily put my Cannondale in with the front wheel off, but that gets secured with a third row seatbelt.
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

  15. #15
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=DieselDan]
    Quote Originally Posted by apclassic9
    That's all? I'm up to 295,000 miles in my 1995 Odyssey. Granted I have 5 more years on it and a bottom end rebuild at 200,000 and new valve stems at 235,000. No squeaks or rattles and the seats are still tight. The seats aren't even torn or ripped. As for carrying bikes, I can easily put my Cannondale in with the front wheel off, but that gets secured with a third row seatbelt.
    That I would have to see. A bike secured in with a seat belt. I knew we love & want to protect our bikes, but isn't that going a little far? Cool idea, saves you from having to use some other kind of strap or bungee, I also imagine it helps prevent it from becoming a projectile in the event of an accident or sudden stop.

  16. #16
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The safety feature I like most about my new Compass is the side curtain airbags.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •