Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-07, 09:36 PM   #26
Evan92
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I probably will.
Evan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-07, 09:44 PM   #27
Evan92
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What about helmets and pedals?
Evan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-07, 09:45 PM   #28
AndrewP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Montreal
Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
Posts: 6,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is a cyclo-cross bike in your price range.
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/X-RAY-SPT-Details.html
AndrewP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-07, 09:51 PM   #29
Evan92
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well today I found out that I have an opportunity to get more money so the Trek XO1 might be in my reach in a few months.
Evan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-07, 09:53 PM   #30
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnaker

You can go with a dedicated trail bike (similar to a hybrid but no shocks). But I would strongly consider a road bike. Your young and there is no reason why you would need the added comfort of a hybrid / trail bike.
My Novara Big Buzz hates being called a Comfort Bike!
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-07, 10:39 PM   #31
N_C
Banned.
 
N_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bannation, forever.
Bikes:
Posts: 2,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan92
Alright so what bikes would you recommend?
You want a true comfort bike, try a recumbent. Nothing is more comfortable then a recumbent. No pressure on your hands, arms, back or neck. And it is easire to look up & see what is around you. Ask your LBS about them. See what they have in stock, test ride as many as you can.
N_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-07, 11:56 PM   #32
N_C
Banned.
 
N_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bannation, forever.
Bikes:
Posts: 2,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan92
What about helmets and pedals?
Always wear a helmet while riding. It will not improve your cycling skills or make you a better cyclist but it will protect your head in the event of an accident & you hit your head.

As far as pedals, that is more of a personal & comfort choice. I may want to start out with platform pedals with to straps & either regular cross trainers or even mtn bike style cycling shoes, just leave the rubber cover in place where you put the cleat. After you get used to them or see if you will like them then you may want to add clipless pedals. There is a style Shimano makes that is clipless on one side & platform on the other. They are not very expensive. If you go with bike shoes try on several differant pair & try both shoes on with the socks you will be wearing when you ride. Differant brands & styles of shoes will fit your feet a lot more differant then regular running or cross trainers.

Most bike shops will give a discount on accessories with the purchase of a new bike. Like helmets, shoes, clipless pedals, gloves, water bottles, cages, etc.
N_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 08:10 AM   #33
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
Posts: 4,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_C
You want a true comfort bike, try a recumbent. Nothing is more comfortable then a recumbent. No pressure on your hands, arms, back or neck. And it is easire to look up & see what is around you. Ask your LBS about them. See what they have in stock, test ride as many as you can.
Retro-Grouch was commenting that he would lose cool points for a hybrid. Just what do you think a recumbent will do? Talk about nerd alert! Do you really want the poor guy to die a virgin (assuming he is one otherwise never get luck again)?
spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 08:15 AM   #34
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
Posts: 4,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan92
Well today I found out that I have an opportunity to get more money so the Trek XO1 might be in my reach in a few months.
Not a bad looking bike. Here are some reviews.
spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 04:49 PM   #35
Evan92
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_C
Always wear a helmet while riding. It will not improve your cycling skills or make you a better cyclist but it will protect your head in the event of an accident & you hit your head.

As far as pedals, that is more of a personal & comfort choice. I may want to start out with platform pedals with to straps & either regular cross trainers or even mtn bike style cycling shoes, just leave the rubber cover in place where you put the cleat. After you get used to them or see if you will like them then you may want to add clipless pedals. There is a style Shimano makes that is clipless on one side & platform on the other. They are not very expensive. If you go with bike shoes try on several differant pair & try both shoes on with the socks you will be wearing when you ride. Differant brands & styles of shoes will fit your feet a lot more differant then regular running or cross trainers.

Most bike shops will give a discount on accessories with the purchase of a new bike. Like helmets, shoes, clipless pedals, gloves, water bottles, cages, etc.
I will ALWAYS wear a helmet from now on because last August I took a spill on my bike and hit my face and had to have stitches and broke my hand. Doctor said I was lucky not to have a concussion.
Evan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 11:43 PM   #36
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Ride all the bikes you can at more than one bike shop. Then post again, and get some more feedback. Then buy the bicycle that you really like.

My commuter is a modified mountain bike with front shocks. Commute route has lots of bad pot holes, so it works for me.

My back up commuter and recreational road bike is a standard road bike.

My beater, around town, bike is a single speed drop bar bike made to look ugly for anti-theft purposes.

As you grow older, if you still cycle after getting your drivers license, you will likely buy more bikes to fit each variation of riding. For now, whatever type of cycle you enjoy riding will work fine.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 08:25 PM   #37
Evan92
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I forgot about these other trails that I wouldn't mind riding and those have crushed limestone and the other trails are off-road. We went to the LBS yesterday and I was recommended a Giant Yukon by the salesperson. It seemed like a nice bike. Pretty light too.
Evan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 08:53 PM   #38
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk
 
Little Darwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Bikes: Many
Posts: 8,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When you test ride a bike with drop bars test in the dropped position a little, but really spend the time on the hoods...

A non-competitive rider spends most of their riding time on the hoods and flats. You can do 90% of your riding on the hoods, and only go to the drops when yuou are fighting a head wind. Then after riding a while if you find you like being in the drops more, then they're there... if you go flat bar, you don't have the option.

That said, I wouldn't worry about what other people think, but I would also add my vote to avoid the shock... I went rigid last year on my Sedona DX... I like the handling much better.

Also, depending on your age, and how much you still have to grow, I would choose a bike on the large end of what "fits" so that you don't out grow it so soon.
__________________
Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Little Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 09:02 PM   #39
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk
 
Little Darwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Bikes: Many
Posts: 8,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan92
Well I forgot about these other trails that I wouldn't mind riding and those have crushed limestone and the other trails are off-road. We went to the LBS yesterday and I was recommended a Giant Yukon by the salesperson. It seemed like a nice bike. Pretty light too.
A Yukon won't be very good on the road. The Yukon is designed for off road riding... If you are really looking to do road rides of more than a few miles it is an incredibly bad choice.

Did you tell the salesperson what you have told us here? If so, find another salesperson.

If you want to do mostly road riding and a little off roading, you really should go with something like the Sedona or Cypress (in the Giant line-up, or similar bikes in other vendors' line-ups)

I do 40+ miles on crushed limestone with my Sedona with slicks, and metric centuries on the road.

I don't do any true mountain biking, so that may color my opinions, but if you want to do long road rides, they will only seem long on a Yukon.
__________________
Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Little Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 09:04 PM   #40
Evan92
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I told him what I told people here but I also remembered the off road trails so I decided maybe a mountain bike would be better.
Evan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:11 AM.