Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Free cycle computer - rice krispies (now with pictures)

    free with 5 UPCs or 1 UPC and $4.99 s/h
    http://www2.kelloggs.com/Promotion/P....aspx?PID=7060




    i saw it on rice krispies, you can also find it on other kellogg's kids cereal. i figure it can't be that bad.
    Last edited by zip22; 04-05-07 at 11:16 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,615
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's shape and button location look like a Cateye to me. I wonder how many different people in the world make the operating chips for basic bike computers. I'll bet there aren't very many.

  3. #3
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The funny thing is, it's probably only worth the $5 for s&h hehe.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that was my thought as well. i have an older astrale (cc-cd100) and this looks very similar. i had a weak urge to get another wire assembly so i could use the astrale on my daily beater, but this was cheaper. the only thing i'm a bit worried about is programming this one. i'm not sure how or if they will let you change the wheel size.

  5. #5
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,559
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator
    The funny thing is, it's probably only worth the $5 for s&h hehe.
    It would be "worth" at least $20 if sold at an LBS though, eh? Maybe $40 with the right brand name. Wonder if there is Rolex brand anywhere?

  6. #6
    `````````````` CaptainCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    san jose
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Official word: http://www2.kelloggs.com/Promotion/P....aspx?PID=7060

    I'm tempted. Zip tie it to my stem and not worry about it being stolen.

    Quote Originally Posted by zip22
    the only thing i'm a bit worried about is programming this one. i'm not sure how or if they will let you change the wheel size.
    How could it work without wheel size? I can't imagine not having that option.

  7. #7
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem is that you need to pour milk over it to get it to work.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, i have that link at the top captain. i wouldn't be surprised if they had a preset wheel size. i don't think the target market of this free product will be concerned with the accuracy of their mph. i will be very happy if it can be configured, though.

  9. #9
    `````````````` CaptainCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    san jose
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zip22
    yeah, i have that link at the top captain. i wouldn't be surprised if they had a preset wheel size. i don't think the target market of this free product will be concerned with the accuracy of their mph. i will be very happy if it can be configured, though.
    wow, how did I miss that?

    Conversely, the target market also has bikes with wheels smaller than 26", so the error is not just a few percent.

  10. #10
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like how you already attacked your box with what looks like a dull knife.


    edit: And I totally want that computer. And I am totally gonna buy 5 boxes of froot loops for it.

  11. #11
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,110
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the cereals listed are the super sugary kind...I reckon you might need the cycle computer after eating 5 boxes of those Anybody calculate how many calories you will need to burn off

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  12. #12
    The Wheel is Turning The Figment's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virgil Kansas
    My Bikes
    '05 Novara (REI) Bonanza
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spinnaker
    The only problem is that you need to pour milk over it to get it to work.
    Does it go "Snap,Crakle,Pop"?

  13. #13
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,687
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoonc
    Most of the cereals listed are the super sugary kind...I reckon you might need the cycle computer after eating 5 boxes of those Anybody calculate how many calories you will need to burn off

    Aaron
    5 boxes (apple jacks) + milk = 10,400 calories.
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen
    I believe that in this case "solid meh" means "so 'meh' that it could never be anything more than 'meh', and yet also no less than 'meh' -- in a word, exactly 'meh'"

  14. #14
    G60
    G60 is offline
    Senior Member G60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCool


    How could it work without wheel size? I can't imagine not having that option.
    with those types of computers, you have to have the magnet/pickup a precise distance from the center of the axle.

  15. #15
    Crankenstein bmclaughlin807's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)
    Posts
    4,038
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenG
    5 boxes (apple jacks) + milk = 10,400 calories.
    Is that all? I can eat that many calories in a day, anyway. Bring it on!
    "There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G60
    with those types of computers, you have to have the magnet/pickup a precise distance from the center of the axle.
    why?

  17. #17
    Super Moderator Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atomic batteries to power; turbines to speed
    My Bikes
    Salsa La Raza, Panasonic Electric, Bria, Bamboo touring, Bamboo cargo
    Posts
    4,687
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
    Is that all? I can eat that many calories in a day, anyway. Bring it on!
    Woops, I left out the milk. Grand total with skim milk = 13,600. With whole milk = 16,400. Cereal alone = 10,400 calories.
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen
    I believe that in this case "solid meh" means "so 'meh' that it could never be anything more than 'meh', and yet also no less than 'meh' -- in a word, exactly 'meh'"

  18. #18
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G60
    with those types of computers, you have to have the magnet/pickup a precise distance from the center of the axle.
    No you don't. The entire wheel, regardless of the distance from the center of the axle spins at the same rate.

  19. #19
    Crankenstein bmclaughlin807's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)
    Posts
    4,038
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenG
    Woops, I left out the milk. Grand total with skim milk = 13,600. With whole milk = 16,400. Cereal alone = 10,400 calories.

    Mmmm... Even better.
    "There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson

  20. #20
    Footballus vita est iamlucky13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Trek 4500, Kona Dawg
    Posts
    2,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had bad luck with cheap computers resetting themselves (calibration and all) at random moments in the middle of a ride. Of course the price ain't bad if you eat lots of apple jacks...
    "The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that." ~ Strong Bad

  21. #21
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonFixed
    No you don't. The entire wheel, regardless of the distance from the center of the axle spins at the same rate.
    No it doesn't. the rim has a higher velocity than near the hub. The time it takes to make a revolution is the same.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  22. #22
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13
    I've had bad luck with cheap computers resetting themselves (calibration and all) at random moments in the middle of a ride. Of course the price ain't bad if you eat lots of apple jacks...
    There's really no reason to get that. $12 will get you a bombproof gigantic 5 line display computer from MEC that's 100x better than that.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  23. #23
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator
    No it doesn't. the rim has a higher velocity than near the hub. The time it takes to make a revolution is the same.
    Whatever. I suck at explaining. The key point here is that the magnet and the pick-up sensor read the same if the magnet is mounted 1cm above the center of the axle or if the magnet is mounted at the rim.

  24. #24
    key
    key is offline
    Senior Member key's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go get a few packs of them and go weigh them at the fruit section, look for the heavy box...

  25. #25
    G60
    G60 is offline
    Senior Member G60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonFixed
    Whatever. I suck at explaining. The key point here is that the magnet and the pick-up sensor read the same if the magnet is mounted 1cm above the center of the axle or if the magnet is mounted at the rim.
    do you even know what you're talking about?

    so, without being able to input a tire diameter, how else would the computer know to display the correct readings? oh yeah, it wouldn't

    since the cheap computers have no way for you to input a different diameter, it has only one preset, and you have to match that up with a very, very specific distance from the center of the axle in order for you to get a correct reading.

    you think you can just put a magnet anywhere and the computer would automatically display the correct reading? this is true for computers where you can input your precise tire diameter, but NOT for these cheap computers.

    go ahead, try and prove me wrong

    if anyone can get their hands on the instructions from this computer, it will say exactly how far the magnet/pickup have to be from the axle.

    please son, don't give me the rolleyes when you've got no clue what you're talking about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •