Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   How much does your bike weigh? (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/28172-how-much-does-your-bike-weigh.html)

dexmax 05-27-03 03:49 AM

How much does your bike weigh?
 
How much does your bike weigh? (excluding lights, bottles, bags, pumps, etc.)

You can select more than one option if you have several bikes...

MichaelW 05-27-03 04:28 AM

My medium-weight commuting/tourer comes fully dressed with fenders/rack/lights. This morning it felt a bit lighter than normal, but when I reached the bike rack, I had forgotten my Kriptonite lock.

Id like to know the weight of your bike in its road-ready form, with whatever tools and stuff you carry, but excluding food/water.

carlee 05-27-03 04:35 AM

my bike weighs 10 kgs, without the bottle, bags, etc.
the weight of my baby sinks in me perfectly, have no trouble speeding off the road, with care of course:rolleyes:

dexmax 05-27-03 04:36 AM

mine weighs slightly above the 8kg mark without the tools.

I'll check how much the tools weigh.. I'll post an update in a minute.

hybrid weighs 10kg (rigid Aluminum forks) with slicks.

MTB weighs 14.2 kg.

Csson 05-27-03 06:36 AM

I guess my touring bike weighs about 16kg, including front and rear racks and the Kryptonite lock that is on the bike at all times. On day-rides, maybe a kilo or two in a handlebar-bag and a small bag on the rear rack. On multi-day tours the total weight (excluding only me) is about 40kg.

/Csson

Scooby Snax 05-27-03 07:52 AM

'02 Stumpjumper FSRXC,

Last weigh in was 26.75lbs, mind you that was with the slicks on, but they are cheap wire beads, so Id say with the knobies itd be the same. No real plans to make it lighter.

shokhead 05-27-03 08:18 AM

My felt with everything on it but me,around 21.5 pounds.I want my steel bike 20 or less.

stumpjumper 05-27-03 08:58 AM

Less than my gut does unfortunately, which makes weighing bikes a moot point for me.

Maelstrom 05-27-03 09:45 AM

35.5 pounds. Thats my commuter, xc, freeride urban ht...

Kev 05-27-03 09:59 AM

Which one.. this is to broad in reality if you want to compare road bikes.. or mountain bikes.. even in those categories you have quite a few sub categories.. My lightest bike is around 15.5 pounds, and my heaviest is around 28-29 pounds...

jim-bob 05-27-03 10:17 AM

the road bike weighs about 24 lbs, the old beater mountain bike is probably 26 or so, the newish kona scab that i'm trying to get rid of is about 35, and the freakishly odd kona keiki is in the high twenties as well.

smelly 05-27-03 10:28 AM

Whos bike weighs 4-15 pounds????????????:rolleyes:

khuon 05-27-03 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by smelly
Whos bike weighs 4-15 pounds????????????:rolleyes:
My roadbike weighs in at almost exactly 15lbs with all accessories removed. I did leave the computer, magnet sensor and head unit on though so with them removed, I'd probably be under 15. And although I do have some pretty light components, they aren't the utmost lightest.

closetbiker 05-27-03 10:56 AM

Every time a manage to get my bike down a pound or two, I end up weighing two or four pounds more.

Sigh.... age.

orguasch 05-27-03 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by closetbiker
Every time a manage to get my bike down a pound or two, I end up weighing two or four pounds more.

Sigh.... age.

he he he
see your bike is losing weight, in my case hope my wife will not read this, everytime I lose weight or my bike lose weight my wife gains weight, I am very mean, i WILL GIVE MY WIFE A BIG HUG AS SOON AS SHE COMES HOME FROM WORK, SHE deserved it:crash: :crash: this is my wife will be doing tome if she happens to open the site....:crash: :crash: :crash:

bikeCOLORADO 05-27-03 04:17 PM

Let's hear it for the heavyweights!

32/33lbs - I'm more concerned about NOT having my bike or components fold in half on me out on the trail than I am about saving weight now.

If I was THAT concerned about weight...I'd drop the extra 25lbs on my GUT first! Hey! That's a great idea...that's the weight of an entire friggin bike that I'm carrying around on my body...

sparticus 05-27-03 04:33 PM

check the lightest bike out @ the weightweenies site. Of course the owner probably filled it with helium to reduce weight or something...

dexmax 05-27-03 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sparticus
check the lightest bike out @ the weightweenies site. Of course the owner probably filled it with helium to reduce weight or something...

hmmmm... not a bad idea... you should have that[idea] patented.

dexmax 05-27-03 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by khuon
My roadbike weighs in at almost exactly 15lbs with all accessories removed. I did leave the computer, magnet sensor and head unit on though so with them removed, I'd probably be under 15. And although I do have some pretty light components, they aren't the utmost lightest.
Wow! a 15lb bike!

khuon 05-27-03 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dexmax
hmmmm... not a bad idea... you should have that[idea] patented.
It's already been done. I think it was sometime in 1993 when some company displayed a helium filled MTB frame at the Anaheim bike show.

dexmax 05-27-03 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by khuon
It's already been done. I think it was sometime in 1993 when some company displayed a helium filled MTB frame at the Anaheim bike show.
really? how much did it weigh?

khuon 05-27-03 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dexmax
really? how much did it weigh?
I think the frame weight (as measured normally on a scale) came out to something like 3-1/2 lbs. It was a steel frame I believe. Of course as we all remember from highschool physics, scale-weight and mass are related but not necessarily equal. The helium just made the bike more bouyant but it still had the same (or very nearly the same) mass as if the tubes had normal air in them.

dexmax 05-27-03 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by khuon
I think the frame weight (as measured normally on a scale) came out to something like 3-1/2 lbs. It was a steel frame I believe. Of course as we all remember from highschool physics, scale-weight and mass are related but not necessarily equal. The helium just made the bike more bouyant but it still had the same (or very nearly the same) mass as if the tubes had normal air in them.
yes, but because of the upward force the helium exerts it weighs less..
if only they would try that on a carbon/Ti frame... I believe frames like that weighs only 1kg-1.2kg(without the helium)

khuon 05-27-03 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dexmax
yes, but because of the upward force the helium exerts it weighs less..
if only they would try that on a carbon/Ti frame... I believe frames like that weighs only 1kg-1.2kg(without the helium)

My CF roadbike frame weighs in at a tad over 3lbs but it's not the lightest CF frame out there. However, I don't see the real advantage to increased bouyancy except possibly while climbing and then it would be a slight detriment to descending. You still need to accelerate more or less the same mass. If you really wanted to play lightening tricks that way, you would evacuate the tubes. However, I'll bet the weight difference would be more than offset by the extra material required to seal the tubes.

dexmax 05-27-03 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by khuon
My CF roadbike frame weighs in at a tad over 3lbs but it's not the lightest CF frame out there. However, I don't see the real advantage to increased bouyancy except possibly while climbing and then it would be a slight detriment to descending. You still need to accelerate more or less the same mass. If you really wanted to play lightening tricks that way, you would evacuate the tubes. However, I'll bet the weight difference would be more than offset by the extra material required to seal the tubes.
yup!

kaboom!!! -- this happens at about 15,000 ft, more or less.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 PM.