In memory of our lost, beloved beasts of burden
In memory of all the wonderful bicycles that have fallen prey to scum over the years, I offer up my list of lost loved ones.
- my first theft, as a child, when I left my bike outside on the front lawn overnight
- my Rocky Mountain mtb ($2k), stolen from my friend's garage while I was in Peru. Her feckless slacker of a brother couldn't be arsed to lock the garage door.
- my lovely Dawes tourer, stolen by a junkie in Amsterdam while I was locked inside a coffeeshop. I watched him steal it and couldn't do a thing. At least I had copious amounts of drugs to hand to cope with the sudden loss. It was fun trying to carry four fully loaded panniers after that.
- a wonderful Dutch beater, stolen by a drunken student from 10 feet away while I was in a bakery
- a fantastic Koga bike (again $2k), stolen from inside my apartment building - they ripped the railing apart from the stairwell to get to it. effing French scum.
- my wonderful old Trek 850, which I'd had for 15 years - thrown away by my sister because it was old and she didn't think I wanted it. After I told her explicitly how much it meant to me and why. wtf :mad:
I miss them all dearly, every last wretched rusty beast :cry:
Anyone else want to list their stolen loved ones, if for nothing else then for group therapy?