Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-07, 11:14 AM   #1
Mountain_Owl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mountain_Owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm considering giving up before I even get started.

I suspect I've reached the point where my posts are annoying. I'm looking for 26x1.95 tires, and I've read a few suggestions (though I can't remember where), but the suggested tires are either too expensive for me or don't come in 26x1.95. With my apologies, I think I'll stop posting. Getting back into bicycling was a good idea, but...oh, well.

Last edited by Mountain_Owl; 05-21-07 at 11:28 AM.
Mountain_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 11:23 AM   #2
Lecterman
The Guadfather
 
Lecterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Fart Worth
Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try these:

Cheap and durable. I've never had a flat on them. FYI, they are more suited for road than off road. Not sure if you were looking for knobbies or not.

DON'T GIVE UP!!
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
"Minor bun engine, made Benny Lava!!!"
Lecterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 11:30 AM   #3
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 18,067
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Owl
I suspect I've reached the point where my posts are annoying. I'm looking for 26x1.95 tires, and I've read a few suggestions (though I can't remember where), but the suggested tires are either too xpensive for me or don't come in 26x1.95. With my apologies, I think I'll stop posting. Getting back into bicycling was a good idea, but...oh, well.
There are lots of 26" tires out there. It's been a standard size for, literally, decades. Dick's Sporting Goods has a Bell 26" x 1.95 slick for $9. How much cheaper do you need to go? There are more expensive tires out there and they do have a benefit over the ultra cheap ones in that they give a better ride and are lighter but if these will do, $9 is damned cheap.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 11:38 AM   #4
Mountain_Owl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mountain_Owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking $20 per tire is my budget.

These look interesting, but I can't find any reviews on the tires:

http://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-Knobby-...769591&sr=1-17

Last edited by Mountain_Owl; 05-21-07 at 11:49 AM.
Mountain_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 11:52 AM   #5
Mountain_Owl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mountain_Owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute
There are lots of 26" tires out there. It's been a standard size for, literally, decades. Dick's Sporting Goods has a Bell 26" x 1.95 slick for $9. How much cheaper do you need to go? There are more expensive tires out there and they do have a benefit over the ultra cheap ones in that they give a better ride and are lighter but if these will do, $9 is damned cheap.
Yes, there are lots of 26'es, but, it seems, precious few 26x1.95's.
Mountain_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 11:56 AM   #6
Lecterman
The Guadfather
 
Lecterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Fart Worth
Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Owl
I'm thinking $20 per tire is my budget.

These look interesting, but I can't find any reviews on the tires:

http://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-Knobby-...769591&sr=1-17

See my post, there are reviews in my link.

And my review is 3000k miles on Texas roads with lots of glass and rocks and nary a flat.

Plus, they're cheap....


<tap><tap>Is this thing on?
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
"Minor bun engine, made Benny Lava!!!"
Lecterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 12:02 PM   #7
demoncyclist 
Senior Member
 
demoncyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Medway, MA
Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400
Posts: 2,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Why is 1.95 such an important number? Your rims can take a range of tire widths.
__________________
DEMON

Satanic Mechanic
STAR 3 Spinning Instructor

2011 Lynskey Sportive (Shimano Ultegra 10s)
1988 Cannondale SM400 (Suntour XC-M 7s)
demoncyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 12:15 PM   #8
Gojohnnygo.
Burn-em Upus Icephaltus
 
Gojohnnygo.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 2,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute
There are lots of 26" tires out there. It's been a standard size for, literally, decades. Dick's Sporting Goods has a Bell 26" x 1.95 slick for $9. How much cheaper do you need to go? There are more expensive tires out there and they do have a benefit over the ultra cheap ones in that they give a better ride and are lighter but if these will do, $9 is damned cheap.
I found Kenda 1.95" slick mtb tires at dicks for 9.99. They seem to have the bell tires on sale at there web site for 8.99. not to sure how wide they are? But my Kenda slicks are 1.95" wide.

Link
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/fa...712461.2712468
__________________
Sick BubbleGum
Gojohnnygo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 01:22 PM   #9
Mountain_Owl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mountain_Owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecterman
See my post, there are reviews in my link.

And my review is 3000k miles on Texas roads with lots of glass and rocks and nary a flat.

Plus, they're cheap....


<tap><tap>Is this thing on?
3000k? 3 *million* miles??? DAMN, you like to ride!!!
Mountain_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 01:22 PM   #10
Lecterman
The Guadfather
 
Lecterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Fart Worth
Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Owl
3000k? 3 *million* miles??? DAMN, you like to ride!!!

Oops. 3k.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
"Minor bun engine, made Benny Lava!!!"
Lecterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 01:25 PM   #11
Mountain_Owl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mountain_Owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoncyclist
Why is 1.95 such an important number? Your rims can take a range of tire widths.

Stock tires & specs on the bike say 26x1.95. That tells me, that's as big as the tire should be.
Mountain_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 02:31 PM   #12
robo
Senior Member
 
robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot
Posts: 1,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Owl
Stock tires & specs on the bike say 26x1.95. That tells me, that's as big as the tire should be.
Umm... unless you have some very weird type of bike, that's just wrong.

Stock tires mean those were the size that the manufacturer shipped the bike with, which has no relation to the _maximum_ size the bike can take.

I haven't read your other posts, but you are sounding kind of passive aggressive and hysterical.Maybe i'm missing something and you have some very special needs which you did not mention in this thread, but threatening to give up riding because some online forum members didn't hold your hand in finding a very, very common item is a bit silly.

26"x1.95 mountain bike tires are a standard size, albeit at the skinny end of the spectrum for off-road tires. You can get them almost anywhere if you bother to look. Online, in stores, etc.

If $10 per tire really is your budget, you aren't going to exactly be able to pick the cream of the crop, but this one, for example, should do fine. There's even a 10% off coupon if you check the front page. link

Last edited by robo; 05-21-07 at 02:39 PM.
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 03:01 PM   #13
demoncyclist 
Senior Member
 
demoncyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Medway, MA
Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400
Posts: 2,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Unlike a car, bike tires don't always need to be that exact. The manufacturer probably spec'd what was the most economically feasible that week.
__________________
DEMON

Satanic Mechanic
STAR 3 Spinning Instructor

2011 Lynskey Sportive (Shimano Ultegra 10s)
1988 Cannondale SM400 (Suntour XC-M 7s)
demoncyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 03:56 PM   #14
Mountain_Owl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mountain_Owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo
Umm... unless you have some very weird type of bike, that's just wrong.

Stock tires mean those were the size that the manufacturer shipped the bike with, which has no relation to the _maximum_ size the bike can take.

I haven't read your other posts, but you are sounding kind of passive aggressive and hysterical.Maybe i'm missing something and you have some very special needs which you did not mention in this thread, but threatening to give up riding because some online forum members didn't hold your hand in finding a very, very common item is a bit silly.

26"x1.95 mountain bike tires are a standard size, albeit at the skinny end of the spectrum for off-road tires. You can get them almost anywhere if you bother to look. Online, in stores, etc.

If $10 per tire really is your budget, you aren't going to exactly be able to pick the cream of the crop, but this one, for example, should do fine. There's even a 10% off coupon if you check the front page. link
No passive-aggressiveness intended.

http://www.epinions.com/bike-Bicycle...igh_SC30__2000

Tires 26 x 1.95"
Mountain_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 03:58 PM   #15
Mountain_Owl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mountain_Owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoncyclist
Unlike a car, bike tires don't always need to be that exact. The manufacturer probably spec'd what was the most economically feasible that week.
So, a 26x2.15, as an example, would be do-able on a Raleigh SC30?
Mountain_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 04:12 PM   #16
Dr.Deltron
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Owl
No passive-aggressiveness intended.

http://www.epinions.com/bike-Bicycle...igh_SC30__2000

Tires 26 x 1.95"
Now I see where you're coming from...
According to the listed link review, the front tire is $270.00!!!
The listed weight is 22.2"!
The year is 41.5"
And the top tube length is 26 X 1.95 Kenda 847!

To answer your original question, YES!
Any 26" x X.X" will fit your rim. 26 x 1.5, 26 x 1.75, 26 x 1.95, 26 x 2.1. Beyond that, it could also take bigger, but you'll have to check frame clearance.

Hope you find what you're looking for!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 04:14 PM   #17
apclassic9
Caustic Soccer Mom
 
apclassic9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Millstone WV
Bikes:
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes. The 26 is the important part, the 2nd number is the width, and pretty much any bike can deal with a little less or more, as far as width goes. They will all fit on your rim - 1.75 to 2.25 should not be a problem.

Now, weenie up and ride!!
__________________
As with mud, life, too, slides by.
apclassic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 07:54 PM   #18
_beaver_
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Owl
I suspect I've reached the point where my posts are annoying. I'm looking for 26x1.95 tires, and I've read a few suggestions (though I can't remember where), but the suggested tires are either too expensive for me or don't come in 26x1.95. With my apologies, I think I'll stop posting. Getting back into bicycling was a good idea, but...oh, well.
Nooo!! don't consider giving up nefore you even start!!
Feast your peepers on these....

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/109...-%26-Save!.htm
Not bad tires, pretty fast on pavement, fireroads & the likes. Flats & sort of fast wear can become a prob lem though.
_beaver_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 08:12 PM   #19
_beaver_
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Owl
So, a 26x2.15, as an example, would be do-able on a Raleigh SC30?
I wouldn't go that big of tire now. If you are only riding mild terrain trails & pavement 1.9 is more than enough.
_beaver_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 08:22 PM   #20
_beaver_
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Deltron
Now I see where you're coming from...
According to the listed link review, the front tire is $270.00!!!
The listed weight is 22.2"!
The year is 41.5"
And the top tube length is 26 X 1.95 Kenda 847!

Hope you find what you're looking for!
lol
_beaver_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 08:31 PM   #21
iamlucky13
Footballus vita est
 
iamlucky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg
Posts: 2,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I couldn't say for absolute certain that a 2.1 would fit, but generally the manufacturer's leave room for it.

That said, you don't need bigger than 1.95. I see the Raleigh SC30 is a comfort bike, so you're not going to be needing the traction of full knobbies. In fact, there are tires as narrow as 1.25 that should fit your rims, which would give you a little extra speed at the cost of a slightly bumpier ride.

I personally have this set of 26x1.5 slicks on my hardtail, which came with a 2.1 tire. I swap them with the originals depending on the season for road or mountain riding.
__________________
"The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that." ~ Strong Bad
iamlucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 10:18 PM   #22
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 4,954
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojohnnygo.
I found Kenda 1.95" slick mtb tires at dicks for 9.99. They seem to have the bell tires on sale at there web site for 8.99. not to sure how wide they are? But my Kenda slicks are 1.95" wide.

Link
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/fa...712461.2712468
I just took a pair of Kenda 26x1.95 tires off with a tread pattern that is almost identical to the Maxis, and they worked fine. They took more effort than the slicks I replaced them with, and I never had a flat or the worries that my friends had with the less sturdy tires they have on their bicycles. Try'em and see what you think.
no motor? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 04:22 AM   #23
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go get yourself a set of Conti Traffic's. Eor what you want to do you'll love 'em! They're about $25 a pop, but price be damned, get good tires!
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 08:36 AM   #24
mlh122
Senior Member
 
mlh122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NW
Bikes: Trek 4500
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Owl
I'm thinking $20 per tire is my budget.

These look interesting, but I can't find any reviews on the tires:

http://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-Knobby-...769591&sr=1-17
I have those. Well I have the Kenda Connect, and the Bontrager Connection Trail, all 3 are the same pretty much. Knobbies with a center line going out in a V. it's called the "chevron" tread. If you look at the Chevron gas station logo you can see the same pattern. They are Nice on the road and grip well on trails. I used to have hardcore knobbies but they sucked bad on the road, then i got street slicks. Fast as heck but sucked bad on trails. So I got one's like what you posted. It's been 600 miles and they've been great. You could look at Kenda Kross's if you want them to be a little more roady, with the kenda kross's they are likely to be better on the road but might slip more on the trails, you can deflate them a little to get better use of the side knobbies. For me, i went with the ones with a little more knobbies, because a little less road efficiency i can tolerate, sliding down a muddy trail with no control is not my cup of tea.
mlh122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 11:53 AM   #25
Mountain_Owl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mountain_Owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh122
I have those. Well I have the Kenda Connect, and the Bontrager Connection Trail, all 3 are the same pretty much. Knobbies with a center line going out in a V. it's called the "chevron" tread. If you look at the Chevron gas station logo you can see the same pattern. They are Nice on the road and grip well on trails. I used to have hardcore knobbies but they sucked bad on the road, then i got street slicks. Fast as heck but sucked bad on trails. So I got one's like what you posted. It's been 600 miles and they've been great. You could look at Kenda Kross's if you want them to be a little more roady, with the kenda kross's they are likely to be better on the road but might slip more on the trails, you can deflate them a little to get better use of the side knobbies. For me, i went with the ones with a little more knobbies, because a little less road efficiency i can tolerate, sliding down a muddy trail with no control is not my cup of tea.
Hi, mlh122. I was bored earlier today, so I thought I'd weed through my browser history & print out the tires I've been 'looking at'/considering online. I'll apologize in advance, as the list is a bit long. In alphabetical order, they are:

Bontrager Connection
Continental Traffic
IRC Mythos XC
Kenda K-Rad
Kenda Karma DTC XC
Kenda Karma UST
Kenda Komfort
Maxxis Holy Roller
Maxxis Ignitor
Maxxis Knobby
Maxxis M-Tread
Maxxis Maxx Daddy
Michelin All Mountain 60TPI
Michelin Country Trail
Michelin DH Mud 3
Michelin WildGripper Hot S
Panaracer Cinder
Panaracer Fire XC Pro
Performance Forte VersaTrac/K
Performance Topo XC
Specialized 03 Spanky Sport
Specialized 04 Crossroads Armadillo
Specialized Assfault
Specialized Crossroads EX
Tire Pyramid Pro K850
WTB All Terrainasaurus

Comments, suggestions, recommendations welcome & appreciated.

Thank you.
Mountain_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:03 AM.