Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member mtnbk3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    bad bike shop experience

    I brought my bike to the shop three weeks ago, after vowing never to go to another bike shop for anything but parts. Anyways they asked me if they were supposed to change the flat tubes, i said no. (we will get back to that later) Then they asked me if i wanted them to fix the shifting, (there was and still are no problems with the shifting).
    They then put on a chainguide, and i figured that since they were replacing the bottom brakcet and putting on a chainguide they would fix the shifting.

    The first call i got they told me the bike was ready, and that they fixed the headset (WTF?). I didn't ask them to fix the headset, i asked them about wether the fork is going to fail. In the end the headset needed a little work.

    I got home and without riding made sure the chainguide wasn't rubbing. In fact it was, when i asked them why they didn't make sure the chainguide worked perfectly they said that i told them not to fix the flats. (WTF) I would think that if they needed to fix the flats to make sure the chainguide worked they would either replace the tubes or call me to ask if they could do so.

    Then i asked for my old bottom bracket (which i bought a month ago), they said they would check for it, they found the left hand cup, but couldn't find the right hand cup. His explanation is that the left hand cup is separate from the right hand cup! Wow thanks for sharing! i built the bike, but i didn't already know exactly how many pieces the bottom bracket is comprised of! How hard is it to tape a piece of plastic to a piece of metal, the hardest part is wiping off the grease!

    Anyways it doesn't end there, when the guy rings me up, its a $170, i was expecting 30 for the bottom bracket, 60 for the chainguide, and the 30 dollars worth of labor he said it would be, plus $12 worth of uninstalled tubes! thats $132.

    After asking about the bb he gave me ten dollars off of my purchase because they couldn't find the old one. I would have rather had the bottom bracket because there is a bike in my basement that needs one.

    So its still 30 bucks to much, so if he charges 15 for the headset, where did the rest go. if he hadn't given me the discount thats still 25 short. With tax thats i guess its like 10 bucks to much. To me someone telling me that my fork is a p.o.s. and not worth fixing costs ten bucks.

    When i asked for the receipt the guy asked the owner if his puter could print a reciept, the owner said it prints over here. Well what he meant and what he said are two completely different things. What he said implied that the puter could in fact print to the printer he pointed at. What he meant was: no that puter does not print only this puter prints. So when the mechanic asked which printer he needed to print at the owner got angry. I will never go to that bike shop again, the only reason i went in the first place was because i had a $70 gift certificate.
    Last edited by mtnbk3000; 05-25-07 at 07:26 PM.
    hi

  2. #2
    370H-SSV-0773H linux_author's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Penniless Park, Fla.
    My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Posts
    2,760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - you don't understand the concept of paragraphs, do you?

    - i'm not being disrespectful, but anyone reading your post will be lost after the first few sentences...

    - please edit your post and you may get some meaningful replies...

    - just a suggestion, OK?

  3. #3
    Senior Member mtnbk3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope its fixed enough for you guys. Im not great at writing or editing. I was planning on editing it, but had to go to dinner. After dinner i fixed it.
    hi

  4. #4
    370H-SSV-0773H linux_author's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Penniless Park, Fla.
    My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Posts
    2,760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - sorry it seems that you got 'taken' at a LBS...

    - most good shops will give an estimate first... there's no reason your shop shouldn't have...

    - the cost for work i see here seems excessive, but depends on component replacement? IOW, you're not very specific about what was replaced?

  5. #5
    Senior Member mtnbk3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bottom bracket $30, chainguide $60, then they fixed the chain, checked the headset and loosened it, told me the fork wasn't worth replacing, i bought two tubes, and they gave the bike back two me with two flats yet when it went in it only had one. Before i brought it in, they told me 30 bb, 60 cg, 30 labor.
    hi

  6. #6
    lunatic fringe Dogbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Miles from Nowhere, Columbia County, OR
    My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Posts
    1,111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's done is done.

    Next time, make sure the shop writes up a repair order listing what is to be done, the parts to be supplied and the cost of the parts.

    Have them list the estimated labor cost.

    Have it noted, in writing, that additional parts or labor over a certain value will require a phone call before proceeding.

    Get a copy before leaving your bike.

    If they won't do that for you, go elsewhere.

  7. #7
    370H-SSV-0773H linux_author's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Penniless Park, Fla.
    My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Posts
    2,760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - and when you get old enough to drive, own your own car, and pay insurance, you'll quickly learn the value of an estimate before repair...

    - hope your bike is riding great though!

  8. #8
    Senior Member mtnbk3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah its working really well thanks for asking. the part that bothered me the most was the owner getting angry and yelling at the mechaninc, the owner is obviously to inarticulate to understand.
    hi

  9. #9
    Mad Furyan Quick_Torch C5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    10-a-Sea
    My Bikes
    02 Cannondale Jekyll,06 Santa Cruz Heckler, 06 Specialized Roubaix Pro, 09 Santa Cruz Blur LT2
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbk3000
    yeah its working really well thanks for asking. the part that bothered me the most was the owner getting angry and yelling at the mechaninc, the owner is obviously to inarticulate to understand.
    Welcome to the world of business and corporations ...BTW, next time get an estimate in writing before agreeing to let them work on our bike, or learn to fix your bike yourself (best savings if you're a handyman)...
    Why is going slower harder?

  10. #10
    Senior Member mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Snowy midwest
    Posts
    5,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a drag of an experience you had. Most bike shop owners are so in-love with bicycling that their passion makes for great LBS experiences. Find a new bike shop.

    Better yet, get a good set of tools and a book/tape on bicycle repair/maintanance and do it yourself. Bicycles are easy to repair and maintain. You can get a good full set of tools for $60.00 and for about $150, you can get the full monty. See the tools at http://www.nashbar.com

    Good luck!
    Mike

  11. #11
    Senior Member mtnbk3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i do most of the repairs but the chain guide is supposed to be really hard to get right, and my bb tool has destroyed the plastic cup on two bottom brackets,its not like most it doesn't lock into the handle it just sits in it and slides around. linky The tools al the way to the left holds the bb tool. WHy can't i get this to stop being a link?
    hi

  12. #12
    The Red Lantern Rev.Chuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    5,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to get this straight:

    You asked to have a chain guide installed but did not want to get the tubes(both flat?) replaced or the gears adjusted(because you said they were fine).

    Then you were upset because they did not test the bike with the flat tires(that you asked not to be fixed) or that the gears(that you said were fine) were adjusted.
    So now you are mad because they did not replace the tubes you told them not to replace after installing the chainguide you wanted installed?
    You later also appear to claim they flatted one of your tires, "i bought two tubes, and they gave the bike back two me with two flats yet when it went in it only had one."



    Next:

    You thought there was a problem with the fork and asked them to look at it.
    They found that the headset needed to be adjusted and adjusted it. But you are upset because they did not find something wrong with the fork(Lots of $$) even tho it appears they did find the problem and adjusted the headset(small $$)
    So because they fixed your problem, and it was not the problem you thought it was, you are upset?

    Third:

    Here you have something as they did not have your old parts. A shop needs to give the customer back the old parts no matter how ratty or damaged.
    But it is probably for the best as you say here, your tools(yes, it is all the tools fault) are destroying parts, "and my bb tool has destroyed the plastic cup on two bottom brackets"

    Fourth:

    As others have mentioned, get an estimate. It does not matter what you "think" or "believe" or "divine" the repair cost to be, if you have not gotten an estimate you don't have much to stand on when the bill comes due. Maybe it took two hours to get the BB out ofter your tool "destroyed" it.

    P.S. Mike is incorrect about the good* set of tools for sixty bucks. You can get a crappy set of tools for that price or a slightly less crappy set of tools for $150.

    *If you have a very low value for good, maybe it is possible to get a set of cone wrenches, a spoke wrench, allen wrenches, and the needed combination wrenches for around sixty, still not a complete set, and not everything needed to service a BB. I have seen the Nasbar tool kit, it is junk.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
    Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.

    I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.

  13. #13
    Prefers Cicero cooker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
    Posts
    8,521
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbk3000
    {URL="http://brandscycle.com/merchant/278/images/small/pedreostoollg.jpg"**linky The tools al the way to the left holds the bb tool. WHy can't i get this to stop being a link? {/URL**
    The part that says {URL= website address** and the part that says {/URL** (I changed the type of brackets so they would be visible in my reply) are the "tags" that make the link.

    If you just want the word linky to be the link, move the closing tag {/url** to just after the word linky. Remember you use these: [] not these: {**.
    Last edited by cooker; 05-26-07 at 10:52 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member mtnbk3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i didn't want the tubes changed because they charge to replace them and for the actual tubes.
    what I don't understand is, if it was necessary to make sure the chainguide was working properly they should have called me. I don't mind that they checked the headset, i mind that they didn't check the fork when i asked them too. either they caused the flat or it had a really and i mean really slow leak. probably the latter.
    hi

  15. #15
    Feral Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Roma, Italia
    My Bikes
    yes, I have one.
    Posts
    2,664
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gift certificate LOL lesson learned
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.

  16. #16
    Seņor Miembro JustBrowsing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    603
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev.Chuck
    Just to get this straight:
    Rev. Chuck's analysis of the situation removed
    Glad I'm not the only one who read the original post and thought WTF is wrong with this guy?!?

  17. #17
    No longer in Wimbledon... womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbk3000
    I brought my bike to the shop three weeks ago, after vowing never to go to another bike shop for anything but parts. Anyways they asked me if they were supposed to change the flat tubes, i said no. (we will get back to that later) Then they asked me if i wanted them to fix the shifting, (there was and still are no problems with the shifting).
    They then put on a chainguide, and i figured that since they were replacing the bottom brakcet and putting on a chainguide they would fix the shifting.

    <snip>
    That post was so brain-twistingly hard to understand that I strongly suspect that responsibility lies with both parties.

    I suspect that you didn't manage to communicate your requirements effectively. Perhaps the LBS guy should have asked more questions, or perhaps he was just inept, but if your verbal communication is as random as your written, then you probably confused him thoroughly.

    Advice- slow down think about what you want to say (or write) before you say it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •