Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Senior Member Mountain_Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    2000 Raleigh SC30 weight

    Does anyone know how much this bike weighs with Kenda Kross Plus 26x1.95 tires on it? I've tried to find the specs for it online, to no avail.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Home alone
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
    Posts
    6,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you own the bike the easiest way to get an answer is to weigh it. Fish scales are fairly accurate and inexpensive. You can also probably take it to a shop and ask them to weigh it. Most have scales already set up.

  3. #3
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,562
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stand on scales while holding your bike. Stand on the scales alone. Do the math.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Portis
    If you own the bike the easiest way to get an answer is to weigh it. Fish scales are fairly accurate and inexpensive. You can also probably take it to a shop and ask them to weigh it. Most have scales already set up.
    +1. Every bike has three weights: What the manufacturer says that it weighs, what the guy who owns it thinks that it weighs, and what my scale says that it weighs. Guess which one is ALWAYS highest?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mountain_Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM
    Stand on scales while holding your bike. Stand on the scales alone. Do the math.
    I've considered that, JanMM...might do it if I can't find the answer online.

    :::doing the math::: 196.5 - 162.5 = bike weight of 34 pounds.
    Last edited by Mountain_Owl; 05-30-07 at 08:55 AM.

  6. #6
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,837
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used to do the bathrrom scale thing,but was hard to read the numbers. Bought a digital 50lbs fishing scale this weekend for $20. Much easier to use,and prolly more accurate.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  7. #7
    Senior Member Mountain_Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder
    Used to do the bathrrom scale thing,but was hard to read the numbers. Bought a digital 50lbs fishing scale this weekend for $20. Much easier to use,and prolly more accurate.
    In any event, what pro's, con's and methods are there to lightening my bike?

    Thank you.

  8. #8
    cycling n00b Black Shuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West Coast of Finland
    My Bikes
    EAI Brassknuckle fixed Sannino fixed, Thorn Club Tour, Soma Smoothie
    Posts
    582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the method woulde be buying lighter parts, the pro is that climbing will become a little bit easier, the con that light and sufficiently stong parts will probably cost more in the end than just buying a lighter bike.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Mountain_Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Shuck
    the method woulde be buying lighter parts, the pro is that climbing will become a little bit easier, the con that light and sufficiently stong parts will probably cost more in the end than just buying a lighter bike.
    Damn, and I just finished telling Portis I'm going to stck with my Kenda Kross Pluss, 26x1.95, 620 gram tires. Now, I'm thinking lighter-weight tires would be a good place to start ewducing my bike's bulk.

  10. #10
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Owl
    In any event, what pro's, con's and methods are there to lightening my bike?

    Thank you.
    Fill the tires with helium. "Swiss cheese" everything in sight. Remove every other spoke Wash the grease from all the bearings.

    ----- OR -----


    Go on a diet.

  11. #11
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,476
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh great Stacey. Now I feel I wasted the money on my new bike. I was trying to aviod going on a diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  12. #12
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,837
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pro to lightening a bike is more speed/easier going. The cons are price and the fact that some lighter compenents aren't as strong.

    Realise that if you're not racing,it's prolly not worth it to spend big bucks to drop a pound or two. Also,for a comfort bike like yours,you'd prolly be better off just getting a different bike. For what you'd spend to get the weight down significantly,you could just buy a performance hybrid or road bike.

    There are two changes you could do that would really help without costing a fortune. First,and easiest,is the tires. Swapping them for something thinner/smoother/lighter/higher pressure will give you a noticable increase in performance. If you mainly ride in the street,I'd suggest some WTB Slickasaurus or Specialized Nimbus Flak Jackets in 1.5". Second,if you have a suspension fork,swap it for a rigid. You'll save weight and you won't have to deal with the dampening effect caused by suspension. These two things will give you the best bang for your buck in terms of lightening your ride and increasing your speed.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  13. #13
    Barbieri Telefonico huhenio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    My Bikes
    Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    3,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder
    The pro to lightening a bike is more speed/easier going. The cons are price and the fact that some lighter compenents aren't as strong.

    Realise that if you're not racing,it's prolly not worth it to spend big bucks to drop a pound or two. Also,for a comfort bike like yours,you'd prolly be better off just getting a different bike. For what you'd spend to get the weight down significantly,you could just buy a performance hybrid or road bike.

    There are two changes you could do that would really help without costing a fortune. First,and easiest,is the tires. Swapping them for something thinner/smoother/lighter/higher pressure will give you a noticable increase in performance. If you mainly ride in the street,I'd suggest some WTB Slickasaurus or Specialized Nimbus Flak Jackets in 1.5". Second,if you have a suspension fork,swap it for a rigid. You'll save weight and you won't have to deal with the dampening effect caused by suspension. These two things will give you the best bang for your buck in terms of lightening your ride and increasing your speed.
    Get a new bike ... that will fix it.

    That is what i did the first time i realize my commuter was 35 pounds loaded
    Giving Haircuts Over The Phone

  14. #14
    Senior Member Mountain_Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The following has nothing to do with weight. Does my bike havw a front suspension? It doesn't look like it does, and I certainly don't feel it, like I did when testing other bikes. If it *does* have a front suspension, how might I adjust it?

    Thank you.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Mountain_Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The following has nothing to do with weight. Does my bike havw a front suspension? It doesn't look like it does, and I certainly don't feel it, like I did when testing other bikes. If it *does* have a front suspension, how might I adjust it?

    Thank you.

    Edit: n/m...seems my 'comfort' bike has no suspension...joy.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Mountain_Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    damn! I thought I did a simple edit. Apologies for the double-post.

  17. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 99 SC30, it's well over the 30 pound mark. Cutting a few pounds from buying lighter components isn't going to do much other than lighten your wallet. The SC30 was not a bike designed for speed. The Kenda Kross are the stock tires that mine came with. I replaced them with the Specialized Nimbus 1.5's and the difference is very noticeable.

    Still, I prefer to commute with a old 10 speed Miyata road bike that I picked up at a garage sale. I leave the SC30 for bad weather.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Mountain_Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumbull
    I have a 99 SC30, it's well over the 30 pound mark. Cutting a few pounds from buying lighter components isn't going to do much other than lighten your wallet. The SC30 was not a bike designed for speed. The Kenda Kross are the stock tires that mine came with. I replaced them with the Specialized Nimbus 1.5's and the difference is very noticeable.

    Still, I prefer to commute with a old 10 speed Miyata road bike that I picked up at a garage sale. I leave the SC30 for bad weather.
    Thanks, Trumbull. I understand that the SC30 isn't designed for racing, and that's fine, As to your comment about tires, I'll check reviews of the Nimbuses. It'a nice to see at least one other person haas the same bike I have.
    Last edited by Mountain_Owl; 06-04-07 at 08:02 AM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Mountain_Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest bike mods:

    I was bored; it's raining; and my bike's at my parents' place, so I thought I'd drive over; pay them a visit; and, while I was there, I took the reflectors off the handle bar & off the seat post, replacing them with a(n el cheapo) Schwinn halogen headlight & accompanying red tail light. Oh, I also got the bottle bracket & bottle put on. Most of these little projects were a piece of cake...except for the tail light. That thing had me twisted into all manner of odd contortions & swearing like any Browncoat worthy of his membership.

    ::::::::waits to see how many are familiar with the Browncoats reference::::::::

  20. #20
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Home alone
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
    Posts
    6,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great. You've added more weight.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Mountain_Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Portis
    Great. You've added more weight.
    I knew someone like you would say that. Later, though, I get to take some weight back off. The new tires will be lighter. My Kenda Krosses are 620 grams apiece, whereas the Michelin Country Muds are listed as 585 grams apiece.

  22. #22
    Senior Member screwdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My SC30 weighs 28lbs. as seen in the picture.

    3354'6.41"N 9449'54.46"W

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •