Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-07, 02:27 AM   #1
kysersose
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
help! Please best locks for bike!

I'm looking for the best locks anti-theft for my bike please!

I ' like u-locks system!



Can you help me!



Thanks you very much!







Ps:i'm french!
kysersose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-07, 03:11 AM   #2
240GL
Senior Member
 
240GL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Norway
Bikes: Bros Sonic FS XT-LX hybrid w/Brooks Swift
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The U-locks have their advantages, personally I prefer the more flexible locks though. My main lock is an Abus Cetero, readily available in Europe - in fact, I got mine in Germany. The wife got an even heavier one, the Abus Granit1000. I'm not in position to say if they are "The Best" but they are serious locks that work well for us.

Apart from that, well, sometimes quantity may win over quality. I shot this at Centre de Pompidou in Paris two weeks ago:

240GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-07, 03:17 AM   #3
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,742
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
The first lock that you put onto your bike, regardless of how cheesy it is, is about 90% effective because it forces the thief to bring some kind of tool with him.

To go from 90% effective to 99% effective you engage in a progressively high tech and progressively high cost game of one-up-manship with the thief. Unfortunately it's a game that you will always ultimately lose. A determined thief who has the technology and sufficient time will be able to defeat any lock so there is no 100% effective.

The 2 lock strategy is used by many riders. By using a U-lock and a heavy cable or chain you force the thief to bring 2 different tools with him.

Another important factor, that's probably more important than the brand name of the hardware, is locking technique. With U-locks you want to fill up the middle of the U so that the thief can't force anything else in there. With cables and chains you want to keep them up in the air so that the thief can't brace one arm of his bolt cutter on the ground.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-07, 11:06 AM   #4
folder fanatic
Banned.
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Bikes:
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
The first lock that you put onto your bike, regardless of how cheesy it is, is about 90% effective because it forces the thief to bring some kind of tool with him.

To go from 90% effective to 99% effective you engage in a progressively high tech and progressively high cost game of one-up-manship with the thief. Unfortunately it's a game that you will always ultimately lose. A determined thief who has the technology and sufficient time will be able to defeat any lock so there is no 100% effective.

The 2 lock strategy is used by many riders. By using a U-lock and a heavy cable or chain you force the thief to bring 2 different tools with him.

Another important factor, that's probably more important than the brand name of the hardware, is locking technique. With U-locks you want to fill up the middle of the U so that the thief can't force anything else in there. With cables and chains you want to keep them up in the air so that the thief can't brace one arm of his bolt cutter on the ground.
I like your analysis of proper locking techniques. Unfortunally, it does not work in large urban areas. I have already had one unfoldable bike attempted to be stolen-with a good Master Lock U-Lock and cable combined on a old 30 year old Schwinn 10 speed! So I now switched completely over to folding bikes and take them with me at all times. End of the security problem!
folder fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-07, 05:28 PM   #5
Nycycle
Senior Member
 
Nycycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Taylorsville Utah
Bikes: Long Haul Trucker
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a Kryptonite that is 5 feet long, I wrap it around the seat post when riding.
I like the braided stainless wire rope its made with but I would rather a beefy pad lock than the combo thingy.
Nycycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-07, 06:55 PM   #6
Nycycle
Senior Member
 
Nycycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Taylorsville Utah
Bikes: Long Haul Trucker
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just learned something, I could have bought a SCHLAGE, that is the exact same thing for way less money.
My nephew just showed me his and they are identical except for color.
Nycycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 07:28 AM   #7
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,742
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
I like your analysis of proper locking techniques. Unfortunally, it does not work in large urban areas. I have already had one unfoldable bike attempted to be stolen-with a good Master Lock U-Lock and cable combined on a old 30 year old Schwinn 10 speed!
That was covered in paragraph 2.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 08:12 AM   #8
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kysersose
I'm looking for the best locks anti-theft for my bike please!

I ' like u-locks system!



Can you help me!



Thanks you very much!







Ps:i'm french!
The best U-lock that is available in Europe is the Abus Granit X-Plus 54. It is just as strong as the Kryptonite New York lock according to the Cycling Plus lock test 2007, but costs much less than the Kryptonite. Also the Abus is a little bigger than the Kryptonite, which is good for those of us in Europe; it seems the Kryptonite is designed to fit around skinny American parking meters, which we don't have in Europe.

Plus, the Abus is made in Germany while the Kryptonite is made in China.

http://www.abus.de/us/main.asp?Scree...=4003318229756
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 08:27 AM   #9
mike
Senior Member
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 5,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The best bicycle thief deterent is a junky bike. No lock will stop a determined thief. A good bolt cutter will go through virtually any lock. For any lock that the bolt cutter won't get through, a $5.00 hack-saw will.

Seriously, the best a lock can do is make it inconvenient for a thief without tools. I don't think that it is worth lugging around heavy locks because even a mid-grade lock and cable does is about as effective as a heavy duty lock.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 09:06 AM   #10
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
The best bicycle thief deterent is a junky bike. No lock will stop a determined thief. A good bolt cutter will go through virtually any lock. For any lock that the bolt cutter won't get through, a $5.00 hack-saw will.

Seriously, the best a lock can do is make it inconvenient for a thief without tools. I don't think that it is worth lugging around heavy locks because even a mid-grade lock and cable does is about as effective as a heavy duty lock.
You are totally mistaken. There are many locks which manual tools cannot go through in any reasonable amount of time (less then 5 minutes). Here are two sites which independently test locks for the European insurance industry. The highest rated lock will not be compromised using manual tools.

Also check out the annual review of locks in Cycling Plus magazine for a more in depth review of locks and their strengths.


http://www.soldsecure.com/Leisure.htm
http://www.stichtingart.nl/sloten_resultaat.asp
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 11:23 AM   #11
kysersose
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi, i just found this:

New York Fahgettaboudit® U-lock that is to be a very extreme protection :

product details :
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Produc...=1000&pid=1095

test of the lock:

http://www.slate.com/id/2140083


http://unbreakable-bonds.blogspot.co...ryptonite.html

http://www.bikemag.com/gear/accessor...06_kryptonite/

Last edited by kysersose; 06-03-07 at 12:22 PM.
kysersose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 11:50 AM   #12
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kysersose
hi, i just found this:

New York Fahgettaboudit® U-lock that is to be a very extreme protection :

product details :
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Produc...=1000&pid=1095

test of the lock:

http://www.slate.com/id/2140083
See post #8.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 02:03 PM   #13
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kysersose
Ps:i'm french!
Yes, but where are you?

If you're in Europe then the Abus locks are easy to find everywhere. The Granit-X plus 54 is the highest level (80 Eur) and is rated one of the best available. It's the one I use.

If you're in North America then the others here can help you. The NY Locks seem popular.

edit: oops, Ziemas beat me to it
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 03:00 PM   #14
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander
 
Stacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Below 14th Street
Bikes: Sirrus
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240GL
The U-locks have their advantages, personally I prefer the more flexible locks though. My main lock is an Abus Cetero, readily available in Europe - in fact, I got mine in Germany. The wife got an even heavier one, the Abus Granit1000. I'm not in position to say if they are "The Best" but they are serious locks that work well for us.

Apart from that, well,
sometimes quantity may win over quality. I shot this at Centre de Pompidou in Paris two weeks ago:

I hope they all use the same key!!
Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 04:55 PM   #15
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus
Yes, but where are you?

If you're in Europe then the Abus locks are easy to find everywhere.
He is in Lyon. But he is very anxious to visit the US, never to return to his native land .

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 08:46 PM   #16
mike
Senior Member
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 5,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It would be interesting to know if the big heavy locks actually do deter thieves. I guess we would have to hear it from a thief and hopefully there aren't any among us.

Last week while on a shopping expedition, my combination lock went haywire on me, I couldn't get it to open with love cooing or swearing or anything else. I wound up walking next door to the hardware store and buying a $4.95 hacksaw. I sat down by my bike and simply started sawing the lock off and people walked by me constantly right in front of Sam's Club in the middle of the day.

One old lady said, "hey is that your bike?" I said, "why, yes, it is". She said, "OK" and kept walking. Other than that, nobody stopped to ask or see what was going on - no security guards, no police, nobody. I could take all the time I wanted sawing at the lock.

So, in my opinion, a bike thief doesn't need to get the job done within 3 minutes even if he has tools. Heck, a dude with a hand-drill and a $3.00 disk cutter will go through ANY lock in less than a minute, no matter how hard or how thick or how heavy or how expensive it is.

So, it is ironic that people pay extra for very nice lightweight bikes and then add a 3lb to 6.5 lb bike lock to it. You make a 19 lb bike a 25 lb bike by doing that. You might as well buy an old 1970's steel framed 10 speed and use a cheap lock because the weight and performance will be nearly the same, but you will not have to worry so much about theft.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 12:29 AM   #17
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
It would be interesting to know if the big heavy locks actually do deter thieves. I guess we would have to hear it from a thief and hopefully there aren't any among us.

Last week while on a shopping expedition, my combination lock went haywire on me, I couldn't get it to open with love cooing or swearing or anything else. I wound up walking next door to the hardware store and buying a $4.95 hacksaw. I sat down by my bike and simply started sawing the lock off and people walked by me constantly right in front of Sam's Club in the middle of the day.

One old lady said, "hey is that your bike?" I said, "why, yes, it is". She said, "OK" and kept walking. Other than that, nobody stopped to ask or see what was going on - no security guards, no police, nobody. I could take all the time I wanted sawing at the lock.

So, in my opinion, a bike thief doesn't need to get the job done within 3 minutes even if he has tools. Heck, a dude with a hand-drill and a $3.00 disk cutter will go through ANY lock in less than a minute, no matter how hard or how thick or how heavy or how expensive it is.

So, it is ironic that people pay extra for very nice lightweight bikes and then add a 3lb to 6.5 lb bike lock to it. You make a 19 lb bike a 25 lb bike by doing that. You might as well buy an old 1970's steel framed 10 speed and use a cheap lock because the weight and performance will be nearly the same, but you will not have to worry so much about theft.
There has yet to be one case of someone on this board losing a bike do to theft that has been properly locked with a high-end U-lock. There are so many improperly locked bikes that a thief will just move on to one of those.

In the latest Cycling Plus lock tests it took over two and half minutes to cut the Abus Granit U-lock and almost three minutes to cut the Kryptonite New York Mini with power tools. No one is getting through them with hand tools, and professional thieves have much higher value things to steal than bikes.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 12:46 AM   #18
Elusor
Banned.
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kysersose
I'm looking for the best locks anti-theft for my bike please!

I ' like u-locks system!



Can you help me!



Thanks you very much!







Ps:i'm french!
Kryptonite New York 3000 the best in system through back wheel in sheldonbrown styles
Pitlock for front wheel
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 03:02 AM   #19
mlts22 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pitlocks for both wheels, seatpost, fork, and brake bolts.
Kryptonite NY lock as stated above, or something Sold Secure Gold.

Then, choose methods, either SB's method or MechBgon's method, and use another lock.

Of course, make sure what you are locking to is sturdy. "Sucker poles" which lift out of the ground are common.

Oh, and lock all the time. There is always the moment of "I'm not going to bother locking it up right now..." and that's when your bike gets a new owner.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 11:53 AM   #20
alanbikehouston
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are some WORTHLESS u-locks, such as the ones sold by Masterlock at Wal-Mart that will last less than 10 seconds against a cheap tool that fits in a crook's pocket.

To avoid buying a worthless lock, study the results of the lock tests done by the locksmiths at Soldsecure.com (whose tests are used by UK insurance companies) and by the editors of the UK cycling magazine "Cycling Plus".

The test results in the May 2007 issue of "Cycling Plus" are consistent with the test results at Soldsecure. The BEST u-locks, such as the Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit can NOT be broken using manual tools, and resist cutting, even with expensive power tools.

And, the good news from those tests is that you can buy even a $30 u-lock that can not be broken with manual tools (the choice of about 99.9% of typical street thugs). The OnGuard Bulldog, which sells for $30 to $40, did just as well against manual attacks as the $100 locks that were tested.

For bad neighborhoods, and urban colleges, look for a "gold" rated lock. If you live in "Friendly Village", or go to college in Utah, a "silver" rated lock, such as the OnGuard Bulldog will do fine.

Be sure to put the u-lock around the rear wheel, and NEVER around any part of the frame. If you place the u-lock around the frame, you will eventually lose your rear wheel, or a crook will use the frame of the bike as a lever, and attempt to break the lock (a technique that can actually work with a anchor weight Wal-Mart bike, with a 15 pound frame, locked with a Masterlock or another Wal-Mart lock). With a high quality, light frame, the crook will simple turn the frame into a pretzel.

www.soldsecure.com/Leisure.htm
alanbikehouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 01:23 PM   #21
mlts22 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In any case, avoid cable locks like the plague. Even "thick" cables can be easily cut.

There are numerous bike theft reports stating that a person used a cable lock, and came back with either a broken cable and no bike or neither present (competant bike thieves remove the broken lock to hide how it was breached.)
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 03:16 PM   #22
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
a good Master Lock U-Lock
No such thing.
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 09:21 PM   #23
mike
Senior Member
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 5,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember seeing a video of someone freezing a lock with, was it nitrogen? Supposedly, it was fairly easy to get spray which they sprayed on the lock, then smashed it with a hammer and the lock just shattered.

Does anybody remember seeing something like this or know about it?
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 09:27 PM   #24
alanbikehouston
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
I remember seeing a video of someone freezing a lock with, was it nitrogen? Supposedly, it was fairly easy to get spray which they sprayed on the lock, then smashed it with a hammer and the lock just shattered.

Does anybody remember seeing something like this or know about it?
It is not terribly helpful for Forum members to discuss in detail the various techniques for breaking locks. However, the test results at soldsecure.com and those published in the May 2007 "Cycling Plus" use the tools that are actually used everyday on the streets by crooks.

The "gold" and "silver" rated locks can NOT be broken using portable manual tools, but like anything made by man, can be broken with expensive power cutting tools, NASA engineering tools, and with tactical nukes. Locks are designed for use in the real world, not for the imaginary world.

www.soldsecure.com/Leisure.htm
alanbikehouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 10:54 PM   #25
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
I remember seeing a video of someone freezing a lock with, was it nitrogen? Supposedly, it was fairly easy to get spray which they sprayed on the lock, then smashed it with a hammer and the lock just shattered.

Does anybody remember seeing something like this or know about it?
Many locks sold in Europe are marketed as passing the 'Freeze Test'. I don't really think it is a real world problem for modern U-locks.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:29 PM.