Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-07, 10:24 PM   #1
srsly
the greatest swindle
Thread Starter
 
srsly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: beater single-speed
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
have you ever wanted to convince someone NOT to get into cycling?

this is completely, and utterly a rant about an ex. we don't talk much but we kind of keep in touch through blogs.

i know, why would any of us ever think that. but she's getting into cycling now and has some very strange notions. i tried to get her into cycling while we were dating but she just wussed out. her newfound interest in cycling came shortly after i purchased my new road bikes for myself and my current lady. coincidence?
anyhow, she posted about looking at a couple bikes and linked to a bianchi volpe and a jamis satellite. both excellent choices for a newcomer. i thought i'd be nice and offer some advice on bike shopping and a couple other bike suggestions. so i suggested Felt (of course), Le Mond (which my lady has and loves), and the lady Bianchi Eros (Punishmint is a great color). she scoffed at my suggestion saying a friend of hers.... well, allow me to quote:

Quote:
That's funny, because my friend said to stay away from LeMond (along with a list of almost every other bike company you've heard of, from trek to cannondale to marin) because they make ****ty bikes that will break.
i really didn't know what to think of that. i was dumbfounded. i didn't know where to start. to point out that Liquigas just won the Giro on cannondales, or that trek sponsors team discovery and Armstrong rode one to 7 TDF victories. someone should tell Di Luca his bike sucks. yes i know they're paid to ride them, but if a team's equipment sucked i like to think they'd try to find a new sponsor. i'm guessing, since this is seattle, that her friend is a hipster that walks a bianchi pista around capitol hill and thinks he's an authority on bikes because his bike doesn't coast. because nobody that knew anything about bikes would say anything to the effect of "cannondale sucks."
now, the reason i would say i'd like to convince her not to buy a bike is because she's getting into it for the wrong reasons. she does things because she wants to be better at it than other people, not because she's really into it. she isn't going to take the time to learn about how to take care of it properly. mistreating a bike is like beating a puppy. i've been riding for two years and i obsess about it. i'd like to think i've picked up a few things reading this forum and hanging out at the co-op shop. it just makes me sad that she just dismisses my advice like she knows better.

i can only hope that if she does go through with it she takes the time to learn how to care for it properly and ends up loving it because riding bikes is fun. not to be better at it than my girlfriend.

ok, i'm done. had to get it out to some people that would understand. or flame on, it's outta my head now
srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 10:28 PM   #2
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
good thing you ain't w/ her no more. sounds like she's easily swayed by idiots. and you're probably right, her friend sounds like a, dare I say it, hipster doofus.

edit: and to your original question, no, never tried to tell someone not to try cycling. i wouldn't even tell your ex that. u never know what'll happen.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 10:30 PM   #3
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Looks to me that she is using what you know about bikes to get to you.

Trying to tell you that you don't know jack about bikes. Ya know - under the premise that since she met this new friend he knows so much that YOU didn't know that now she feels it's okay to go ahead and "get a bike" - if she does.

It's just ammunition.

edit: Oh yeah (after seeing Jyo's post). No, I never tried to stop someone from cycling.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 11:01 PM   #4
srsly
the greatest swindle
Thread Starter
 
srsly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: beater single-speed
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Looks to me that she is using what you know about bikes to get to you.

Trying to tell you that you don't know jack about bikes. Ya know - under the premise that since she met this new friend he knows so much that YOU didn't know that now she feels it's okay to go ahead and "get a bike" - if she does.
correct.

i don't claim to be an expert either, but i've managed to strip down and clean a bike and i only had to ask the co-op owner once or twice how to put something back on (ok so he had to hold my hand the entire way through wheel dishing and installing the chain )

but i didn't say anything i'd regret later. i just addressed her friend's remarks with questions to back up his assertion and some more advice. her attitude just gets under my skin sometimes
srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 11:14 PM   #5
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Why even let her bother you? You are allowing this. If she gets a bike under bad advice, let her learn. WHO CARES?

As long as you know what is up, then so what?



Look I'm sorry if I seem the witch with a "b" - I don't mean to sound callous, but I don't like it when people from the past play games with someones feelings or emotions just for the heck of it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 11:16 PM   #6
dauphin
Senior Member
 
dauphin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Siu..I wanna see the large version of that pic...it's really cool
__________________
dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 11:17 PM   #7
Flippin Sweet
oh, snap.
 
Flippin Sweet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: the motherland.
Bikes:
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with Siu. She sounds like a toxic personality...I'd initiate separation sequence asap.
__________________
Hi. I don't think we've been introduced. I'm awesome.
Flippin Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 11:17 PM   #8
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphin
Siu..I wanna see the large version of that pic...it's really cool

No you don't. It shows a water drop in mid drip coming down my chin. VERY unlady like.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 11:17 PM   #9
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
Posts: 5,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why are you even talking to her?
__________________
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
donnamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 11:18 PM   #10
srsly
the greatest swindle
Thread Starter
 
srsly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: beater single-speed
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Why even let her bother you? You are allowing this. If she gets a bike under bad advice, let her learn. WHO CARES?

As long as you know what is up, then so what?



Look I'm sorry if I seem the witch with a "b" - I don't mean to sound callous, but I don't like it when people from the past play games with someones feelings or emotions just for the heck of it.

again, correct.

i know these things but sometimes i can't help it heh.


(for the record that is certainly not a "witchy" thing to say)
srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 11:23 PM   #11
wakingjonas
herself the elf
 
wakingjonas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: seattle
Bikes: LeMond Etape & an IRO Mark V
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i just couldn't take the hating on LeMond.

PS i'm the current girlfriend.
wakingjonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 11:27 PM   #12
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsly
again, correct.

i know these things but sometimes i can't help it heh.


(for the record that is certainly not a "witchy" thing to say)

Apparently, you trying to be her friend in helping her with this bike is not what she wants. Don't expose yourself to this kind of negativity. Why let yourself go through this? What is your gain?

You have a new friend now and maybe the energy spent on the ex might be better spent on the new one.

I know it may be hard but try to let it go. Give your friendship and advice to those who will honor it and respect it. You can't go wrong there!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 12:29 AM   #13
Funkychicken
mmm... chicken!
 
Funkychicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes: 04 Kona Blast
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
she's obviously not suited for road riding. tell her to get a mountain bike, something in a Huffy, Jeep make fantastic bikes too. Hummer - now that's a good one, EVERYONE downhills on a Hummer.
Funkychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 12:48 AM   #14
iamlucky13
Footballus vita est
 
iamlucky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg
Posts: 2,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just be nicely honest: those are spendy bikes and not really worth the money unless you plan to ride it regularly and long term. If you're not sure, here's some suggestions of good, less expensive bikes that really are only less impressive in terms of X, Y, Z (weight, drivetrain, etc).

After that, it's her money. Hopefully she's not an enemy now, but at best she's back to being a casual friend. Don't invest too much of yourself in her.

Be careful not to jump to conclusions about her motivations. I'm sure you know her better than us, but it's possible for subtle prejudices to seep into your mind. That was kind of the vibe I got from your response to her friend's advice on the Lemond. That judgment came from the friend, not her.
__________________
"The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that." ~ Strong Bad
iamlucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 12:57 AM   #15
powerglide
~ Going the Distance ~
 
powerglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Bikes: 2006 Bianchi Carbon 928, 2002 Gary Fisher Utopia
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd go ahead and kindly recommend buying one of them Denali bikes from K-mart, eating tripe taco roadside in TJ, and posting SSN on craigslist...
powerglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 03:05 AM   #16
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamb
Why are you even talking to her?
+100

That's your problem kiddo. If her behaviour is indicative of ulterior motives or simple bad thinking and negativity, your continued contact only feeds her. Maybe something in you gets a kick out of it, I dunno.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 03:06 AM   #17
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkychicken
...Jeep make fantastic bikes too. Hummer - now that's a good one, EVERYONE downhills on a Hummer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 07:35 AM   #18
srsly
the greatest swindle
Thread Starter
 
srsly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: beater single-speed
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you guys are awesome.

this is the second time i've tried to help her and she's just dismissed my advice. but her friend sent me a note explaining his assertions and while informed are still heavily biased for personal prejudice ("mirage is the halfway point between 105 and dura-ace" ?!?!). i was just concerned that she was taking advice from some hipster doofus that didn't know wtf he was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus
Maybe something in you gets a kick out of it, I dunno.
correct.
she's had this superiority complex for as long as i've known her and it's only gotten worse. so sometimes i just take a little pleasure in knowing something she doesn't horrible i know, but i'm not perfect either.

Last edited by srsly; 06-06-07 at 07:41 AM.
srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 08:09 AM   #19
veganaise
toothless
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let her choke on her own stupidity.
veganaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 08:21 AM   #20
Pheard
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Srsly, NO.
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 08:24 AM   #21
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side
 
CyLowe97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago(ish)
Bikes:
Posts: 6,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamb
Why are you even talking to her?
+1

But as long as you are, just let her know about this little hidden gem:

GMC Denali!
CyLowe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 09:10 AM   #22
shakeNbake
Mooninite
 
shakeNbake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South of Heaven
Bikes: $53 Walmart Special
Posts: 3,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seriously, just tell her to get a track bike. The steeper the angle the better, more bar-saddle drop, top-tube protector, etc.

She'll abandon the bike in a few weeks, like most people do.
shakeNbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 09:22 AM   #23
mwrobe1
Code Warrior
 
mwrobe1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
Bikes: Schwinn MTB/Raleigh Marathon
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyossarian
good thing you ain't w/ her no more. sounds like she's easily swayed by idiots. and you're probably right, her friend sounds like a, dare I say it, hipster doofus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamb
Why are you even talking to her?
+1
__________________
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, 1/2 a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.


mwrobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 11:27 AM   #24
cyclezealot
Senior Member
 
cyclezealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
Posts: 13,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
generally, I think its better to move on and don't look back. I'd just hope she never mets up to me in a race
cyclezealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 12:43 PM   #25
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Bikes:
Posts: 8,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Convince her to buy the most expensive bike she can, and tons of accessories. Everyone wins. Bike shop that gets the business, and people who can buy it "used' for cheap couple months later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsly
this is completely, and utterly a rant about an ex. we don't talk much but we kind of keep in touch through blogs.

i know, why would any of us ever think that. but she's getting into cycling now and has some very strange notions. i tried to get her into cycling while we were dating but she just wussed out. her newfound interest in cycling came shortly after i purchased my new road bikes for myself and my current lady. coincidence?
anyhow, she posted about looking at a couple bikes and linked to a bianchi volpe and a jamis satellite. both excellent choices for a newcomer. i thought i'd be nice and offer some advice on bike shopping and a couple other bike suggestions. so i suggested Felt (of course), Le Mond (which my lady has and loves), and the lady Bianchi Eros (Punishmint is a great color). she scoffed at my suggestion saying a friend of hers.... well, allow me to quote:



i really didn't know what to think of that. i was dumbfounded. i didn't know where to start. to point out that Liquigas just won the Giro on cannondales, or that trek sponsors team discovery and Armstrong rode one to 7 TDF victories. someone should tell Di Luca his bike sucks. yes i know they're paid to ride them, but if a team's equipment sucked i like to think they'd try to find a new sponsor. i'm guessing, since this is seattle, that her friend is a hipster that walks a bianchi pista around capitol hill and thinks he's an authority on bikes because his bike doesn't coast. because nobody that knew anything about bikes would say anything to the effect of "cannondale sucks."
now, the reason i would say i'd like to convince her not to buy a bike is because she's getting into it for the wrong reasons. she does things because she wants to be better at it than other people, not because she's really into it. she isn't going to take the time to learn about how to take care of it properly. mistreating a bike is like beating a puppy. i've been riding for two years and i obsess about it. i'd like to think i've picked up a few things reading this forum and hanging out at the co-op shop. it just makes me sad that she just dismisses my advice like she knows better.

i can only hope that if she does go through with it she takes the time to learn how to care for it properly and ends up loving it because riding bikes is fun. not to be better at it than my girlfriend.

ok, i'm done. had to get it out to some people that would understand. or flame on, it's outta my head now
UmneyDurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:42 AM.