Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-07, 09:50 AM   #1
bobn
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Brooks saddle break in

Can a NOS 30 year old Brooks still be broken in to ride comfortably? This saddle looks brand new, never ridden but is hard a rock. Can it still be broken in or is the leather just to old and dry?

Thanks,
Bob
bobn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 10:11 AM   #2
exas
Banned.
 
exas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobn
Can a NOS 30 year old Brooks still be broken in to ride comfortably? This saddle looks brand new, never ridden but is hard a rock. Can it still be broken in or is the leather just to old and dry?

Thanks,
Bob
i dunno man one time i was downtown and i was locking up my bike to the rack when i noticed a couple of bikes down this bike had a nice brooks saddle. that is until a crackhead bum went over and proceeded to remove his pants and take a dump on the brooks. true story.
exas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 10:14 AM   #3
Bikepacker67
Banned
 
Bikepacker67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ogopogo's shoreline
Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke
Posts: 4,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exas
i dunno man one time i was downtown and i was locking up my bike to the rack when i noticed a couple of bikes down this bike had a nice brooks saddle. that is until a crackhead bum went over and proceeded to remove his pants and take a dump on the brooks. true story.
This obviously took place pre-Giuliani.
Bikepacker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 11:23 AM   #4
divergence
del dot
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Santa Cruz CA
Bikes: Tour Easy
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exas, what the hell has that got to do with the man's question?
divergence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 11:51 AM   #5
jcm
Gemutlichkeit
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobn
Can a NOS 30 year old Brooks still be broken in to ride comfortably? This saddle looks brand new, never ridden but is hard a rock. Can it still be broken in or is the leather just to old and dry?

Thanks,
Bob
If it looks new, it is new. Ride it.
jcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 07:47 PM   #6
Velo Dog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Nevada
Bikes:
Posts: 3,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Even a NEW Brooks is rock hard. One of mine is three years old (the other's 15 or 16), and it still feels hard to the touch. But even right out of the box, they're pretty comfortable if they're set up right. Be sure it's basically level, and I'd spend seven bucks on some Proofhide, Brooks' name for its own leather treatment (thought I suppose you could use Obenauf's or even something like mink oil). Goop it up a little, wipe it off and ride it. Don't apply the Proofhide more than about twice a year, though.
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 07:49 PM   #7
Jerseysbest
J E R S E Y S B E S T
 
Jerseysbest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
This obviously took place pre-Giuliani.
Yea, that bum would of had his skull cracked open by a knight stick
Jerseysbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 09:17 PM   #8
-VELOCITY-
Senior Member
 
-VELOCITY-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Miami, Florida
Bikes: Giant Revel 2 & Loco Fixie "The Marley"
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
Even a NEW Brooks is rock hard. One of mine is three years old (the other's 15 or 16), and it still feels hard to the touch. But even right out of the box, they're pretty comfortable if they're set up right. Be sure it's basically level, and I'd spend seven bucks on some Proofhide, Brooks' name for its own leather treatment (thought I suppose you could use Obenauf's or even something like mink oil). Goop it up a little, wipe it off and ride it. Don't apply the Proofhide more than about twice a year, though.
How come? I've given mine about 3 applications in about a year's time. There's nothing wrong with my saddle.
-VELOCITY- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 09:46 AM   #9
Hask12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah, I think you can use the proofhide more then twice a year, as a matter of fact I think Brooks recommends you use it more often than that.
Hask12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 11:47 AM   #10
Skipper
Senior Member
 
Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Limburger capitol of the USA
Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobn
Can a NOS 30 year old Brooks still be broken in to ride comfortably? This saddle looks brand new, never ridden but is hard a rock. Can it still be broken in or is the leather just to old and dry?

Thanks,
Bob
The saddle is probably worthless. If you send it to me, I will be more than happy to see that it gets properly disposed of.

Seriously, just grease it up good with Proofide. The break-in period for a Brooks saddle is really nothing more than the time it takes to get it tweaked into the proper position. It can and probably will get more comfortable over time with the formation of sit-bone dimples. I thougt all of my Brooks saddles were comfortable right out of the box, even before dimples appeared. A number of factors will contribute to making dimple formation a relatively fast or a very slow process.

Do a search on "Brooks Saddles" and you will find more info than you want.
Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46 AM.