Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey
    Posts
    1,768
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Anyone have any opinions on. . . .


  2. #2
    Senior Member maddyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ky. and FL.
    My Bikes
    KHS steel SS
    Posts
    3,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion is to buy a real name brand bike.
    Not too much to say here

  3. #3
    Senior Member wrafl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Burbs of Chicago
    Posts
    948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go visit your LBS and check out brands with distinction. Besides, you get to test ride as many brands as you want and get a perfect fit.

  4. #4
    POWERCRANK addict markhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Acton, West London, UK
    Posts
    3,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shameless POWERCRANK plug
    Recommended reading for all cyclists - Cyclecraft - Effective Cycling
    Condor Cycles - quite possibly the best bike shop in London
    Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) AWD drive on a bicycle is stupid.
    2) Paying extra for a bike with a consumer brand connection is a waste of money, but I can see it if you really identify with S&W.
    3) Try Downtube folding bikes for $300. See folding forum. Transportation and storage are the advantage of a folding bike.
    2000 Montague CX, I do not recommend it, but still ride it.
    Strida 3, I recommend it for rides < 10mi wo steep hills.
    2006 Rowbike 720 Sport, I recommend it as an exercise bike.
    1996 Birdy, Recommend.
    Wieleder CARiBIKE (folding), decent frame.

  6. #6
    POWERCRANK addict markhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Acton, West London, UK
    Posts
    3,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geo8rge View Post
    1) AWD drive on a bicycle is stupid.
    2) Paying extra for a bike with a consumer brand connection is a waste of money, but I can see it if you really identify with S&W.
    3) Try Downtube folding bikes for $300. See folding forum. Transportation and storage are the advantage of a folding bike.
    1 - if well made 2wd bicycles are awesome
    2 - agreed at least with the brand bit. No idea what you mean by the last part.
    3 - If you really want a folding bike try all the different models you can as some are much better than others (some break under heavy riders, some ride great but are very heavy, some fold really small but aren't useful for longer trips, etc)
    shameless POWERCRANK plug
    Recommended reading for all cyclists - Cyclecraft - Effective Cycling
    Condor Cycles - quite possibly the best bike shop in London
    Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!

  7. #7
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please Read Before asking Question: MTB FAQ.
    It's from the MTB section, but you'll find that it applies here

  8. #8
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markhr View Post
    1 - if well made 2wd bicycles are awesome
    2 - agreed at least with the brand bit. No idea what you mean by the last part.
    3 - If you really want a folding bike try all the different models you can as some are much better than others (some break under heavy riders, some ride great but are very heavy, some fold really small but aren't useful for longer trips, etc)
    I believe he meant S&W (Smith & Wesson).

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    IL-USA
    Posts
    1,606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markhr View Post
    1 - if well made 2wd bicycles are awesome
    ....
    I agree on this.

    Some years back (maybe 15 years ago?) there were some bikes from a company that were fitted with a 2WD setup. The bike overall was dept-store quality, rather heavy. The 2WD system was a flexible (Weedeater-style) shaft drive of exposed bevel and ring gears, on the left side of the rear wheel and the right side of the front wheel. The front hub was a single-speed freewheel, but with a ring gear that mated with the shaft's forward-end pinion instead of a cog. I remember the bikes cost about $450, and similar bikes without the 2WD setup would have cost maybe $300.

    A local shop I frequented got a few in, and they had one they let get all muddy for test-riding in the mud puddles in back of the shop. The 2WD most certainly did help getting through mud; you could ride slowly into 6" deep mud, and just slowly keep pedalling, and you just rolled right on out of it, no problem. Even with mild street knobbies, the bike simply never stopped moving forward. You had to do one-legged STOMPS on the cranks in low gears to get the tires to spin even a little bit in the mud. I don't know how much 2WD might help with rock-crawling,,,, but for mud, sand or snow in theory it'd be a great improvement.

    At that time, theory and reality were separated by quite some distance however.

    ....The 2WD system added quite a bit of pedal drag (there was no way to disengage driving the flexible cord, it was spun off the rear wheel all the time) and you could tell the external gears wouldn't last long (the pinion gears were metal, but the ring gears were grey plastic of some kind).
    ~

  10. #10
    POWERCRANK addict markhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Acton, West London, UK
    Posts
    3,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    I believe he meant S&W (Smith & Wesson).
    thanks - prefer sig-sauer but they don't make bikes. Anyway, hand guns are illegal in the UK (except in Nottingham and Manchester ).
    shameless POWERCRANK plug
    Recommended reading for all cyclists - Cyclecraft - Effective Cycling
    Condor Cycles - quite possibly the best bike shop in London
    Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!

  11. #11
    POWERCRANK addict markhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Acton, West London, UK
    Posts
    3,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug5150 View Post
    I agree on this.

    Some years back (maybe 15 years ago?) there were some bikes from a company that were fitted with a 2WD setup. The bike overall was dept-store quality, rather heavy. The 2WD system was a flexible (Weedeater-style) shaft drive of exposed bevel and ring gears, on the left side of the rear wheel and the right side of the front wheel. The front hub was a single-speed freewheel, but with a ring gear that mated with the shaft's forward-end pinion instead of a cog. I remember the bikes cost about $450, and similar bikes without the 2WD setup would have cost maybe $300.

    A local shop I frequented got a few in, and they had one they let get all muddy for test-riding in the mud puddles in back of the shop. The 2WD most certainly did help getting through mud; you could ride slowly into 6" deep mud, and just slowly keep pedalling, and you just rolled right on out of it, no problem. Even with mild street knobbies, the bike simply never stopped moving forward. You had to do one-legged STOMPS on the cranks in low gears to get the tires to spin even a little bit in the mud. I don't know how much 2WD might help with rock-crawling,,,, but for mud, sand or snow in theory it'd be a great improvement.

    At that time, theory and reality were separated by quite some distance however.

    ....The 2WD system added quite a bit of pedal drag (there was no way to disengage driving the flexible cord, it was spun off the rear wheel all the time) and you could tell the external gears wouldn't last long (the pinion gears were metal, but the ring gears were grey plastic of some kind).
    ~
    yeah - the reviews of the bargain basement models have always been lesss than flattering. The reviews of the newer top end 2wd bikes with better drive systems, materials and components have all raved about the extra grip when cornering and in the steep. Either way there's a weight and friction penalty but, afaik, the top end bikes are very competitive/comparable with any good XT/XTR/X0/X9 hardtail.
    shameless POWERCRANK plug
    Recommended reading for all cyclists - Cyclecraft - Effective Cycling
    Condor Cycles - quite possibly the best bike shop in London
    Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    3,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two-wheel drive bikes come around every few years, but never seem to catch on. I don't know who makes those things--it isn't Jeep--but the components they name are low-end (Alivio) and outdated (24-speed means eight-speed cassette, which is what I have on most of my bikes, but it's two generations back and they presumably bought it cheap). Knowing nothing else about the bike, I'd predict that it's heavy, clumsy and you'd be unhappy with it. You can get a pretty nice bike for the same money from a bike shop, and you'll be able to take it back if something goes wrong.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey
    Posts
    1,768
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put this in not so much for myself as for others. People for some reason think of me as a bike maven, and I wanted some ammunition to use if they showed me these.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey
    Posts
    1,768
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markhr View Post
    find a real bike shop in your area

    http://www.charlestonbicyclecompany.com/
    I live in Charlie West, not Charlie South.

  15. #15
    POWERCRANK addict markhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Acton, West London, UK
    Posts
    3,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
    I live in Charlie West, not Charlie South.
    yellowpages.com
    shameless POWERCRANK plug
    Recommended reading for all cyclists - Cyclecraft - Effective Cycling
    Condor Cycles - quite possibly the best bike shop in London
    Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!

  16. #16
    Two H's!!! TWO!!!!! chephy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    4,169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Avoid.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •