Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Member Phil2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    D.C. represent
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Installing Pitlocks...

    I'm putting pitlocks on and i'm wondering if i need to put the little conical black springs on as well. do the springs even do anything?

  2. #2
    POWERCRANK addict markhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Acton, West London, UK
    Posts
    3,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil2 View Post
    I'm putting pitlocks on and i'm wondering if i need to put the little conical black springs on as well. do the springs even do anything?
    you don't "have" to use them but try removing/replacing the wheels with and without the springs - the springs make life sooo much easier.
    shameless POWERCRANK plug
    Recommended reading for all cyclists - Cyclecraft - Effective Cycling
    Condor Cycles - quite possibly the best bike shop in London
    Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil2 View Post
    I'm putting pitlocks on and i'm wondering if i need to put the little conical black springs on as well. do the springs even do anything?
    No! DO NOT USE THE SPRINGS!! Pitlocks come with the little metal discs and the Teflon washer, use only what comes with the Pitlocks. I've used them for several years and it's no problem getting the wheel on and off without the springs.


    http://www.pitlock.com/bikerinfos/au...ung/index.html


    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/pitlock.asp

  4. #4
    Member Phil2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    D.C. represent
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Ziemas. i ended up not using the springs. i'm surprised the pitlock website doesn't say specifically not to use them.

    another question: i didn't have any grease at home, so i called the LBS and they said it's fine to use wd-40 to lube the skewer instead. is wd-40 an adequate substitute?

    oh, i also found that the PIT socket fits perfectly on the gate of a standard carabiner key ring.
    Last edited by Phil2; 07-20-07 at 06:41 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member gear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    North shore of Mass.
    Posts
    2,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd get some grease the next time your out.

  6. #6
    Member Phil2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    D.C. represent
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gear,
    that's what i'm thinking. i read on another thread that wd-40 actually disolves grease! i guess i'll have to clean off the skewers then apply the grease. i guess there's no way to get the WD-40 out of the hub, tho.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil2 View Post
    gear,
    that's what i'm thinking. i read on another thread that wd-40 actually disolves grease! i guess i'll have to clean off the skewers then apply the grease. i guess there's no way to get the WD-40 out of the hub, tho.
    Use grease! I didn't on one and after a winter of wet and salty riding had to get it drilled out. After that I always use grease and haven't had any further problems.

  8. #8
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    No! DO NOT USE THE SPRINGS!! Pitlocks come with the little metal discs and the Teflon washer, use only what comes with the Pitlocks. I've used them for several years and it's no problem getting the wheel on and off without the springs.


    http://www.pitlock.com/bikerinfos/au...ung/index.html


    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/pitlock.asp
    I searched in vain for the words "do not use the springs", but couldn't find them.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  9. #9
    Member Phil2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    D.C. represent
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's the technical term for the springs?

    i'm going to e-mail them and ask that they make mention of the springs on the FAQs on their site.

  10. #10
    Member Phil2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    D.C. represent
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so i went to the LBS and they said under no circumstances should i use the conical springs, or WD-40, when installing pitlocks. the bike mechanics were going to hunt down the employee who told me to use WD-40 on the skewers.

  11. #11
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,850
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil2 View Post
    so i went to the LBS and they said under no circumstances should i use the conical springs, or WD-40, when installing pitlocks. the bike mechanics were going to hunt down the employee who told me to use WD-40 on the skewers.
    Hunt him down and punish him? That would seem rather severe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •