Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-07, 05:43 PM   #1
mike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 5,392
I pimped my kid's ride - check it out!

Did the mountain bike get small, or did my kids just get big?

Anyway, I had some fun with it and added some inches to it too.

The new stuff is the ape hanger bars from an old muscle bike and the banana seat also from an old muscle bike.

Of course, the cobra head handle bar grips are a new addition too.

I recovered the banana seat with faux leopard skin.

What do you think of the pimped out mountain bike?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pimped mountain bike 2 low res.jpg (82.2 KB, 298 views)
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 05:45 PM   #2
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum
 
Sprocket Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Honolulu
Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
What do you think of the pimped out mountain bike?
I like it a lot! Very cool.

But how does your kid like it?
Sprocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 05:51 PM   #3
mike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 5,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man View Post
I like it a lot! Very cool.

But how does your kid like it?
He hasn't seen it yet. I can't wait for him to get home to see his reaction.

If he doesn't ride it, one of his friends will. My garage is like the local "yellow bike". Kids are mooching bikes all the time. I have five out on loan right now. It's great. I love seeing those kids getting around on their own steam by bicycling.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 06:04 PM   #4
Hartmann
lost in the ozone
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: VT
Bikes: serotta colorado, Trek 620
Posts: 86
I see years of therapy in his future
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 06:17 PM   #5
mike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 5,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartmann View Post
I see years of therapy in his future
It is like a 21 speed muscle bike. Maybe he will have a superiority complex.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 06:54 PM   #6
texasphil
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 187
No wonder kids think their parents are dorks! He'll never get a girl now.
texasphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 07:04 PM   #7
mike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 5,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasphil View Post
No wonder kids think their parents are dorks! He'll never get a girl now.
Maybe...
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 08:26 PM   #8
GMA
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Now THAT''S a hybrid!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 09:42 PM   #9
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!
 
v1k1ng1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States of Mexico
Bikes:
Posts: 3,424
I hope he doesn't start crying when he sees it. You should have a new bmx bike on standby just in case.
__________________
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 10:28 PM   #10
mike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 5,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
I hope he doesn't start crying when he sees it. You should have a new bmx bike on standby just in case.
Actually, he has already graduated to road bikes. This bike was sitting WAaaaay in the back of the garage gathering dust, so this is it's chance at getting some ride-time again.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 10:30 PM   #11
mike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 5,392
NEWS UPDATE!

Guess what. The bike is GONE from the garage. All the kids thought it was cool. They all took a ride on it. They said it was "So ghetto", which I thought was a bad thing, but apparently being ghetto isn't always bad.

One of my son's friends asked if he could ride it home tonight. He left his road bike in my garage and took off with the mountain-muscle-bike.

That makes it all worth-while.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 10:34 PM   #12
wethepeople
Long haired freak.
 
wethepeople's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Still stuck in hell.
Bikes: 2011 SE Old Man Flyer.
Posts: 6,280
I bet it's a wheelie machine...
__________________

"the bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."

wethepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 10:39 PM   #13
mike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 5,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by wethepeople View Post
I bet it's a wheelie machine...
I hope it's a wheelie machine and a jumping machine and a get across town machine. I hope they wear it out!

These young teen fellows are riding bicycles all over town in packs. It is a great sight to see. They don't even bother asking for rides. They just tell me where they are going and zoom, they go. They are here every day and I always ask them how their machines are. Anything that is out of whack get's fixed while they are goofing off around the house. The more I can do to keep them bicycling, the better.

Of course, I sneak in a maintanance lesson for them whenever possible too. "Hey, Joey, hold pull on this brake cable while I tighten the bolt. See this, it is a third-hand-tool... blah, blah, blah"
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 11:00 PM   #14
Gurgus
is as Gurgus does.
 
Gurgus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Otisburg
Bikes: A whole bunch o' bikes.
Posts: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I hope it's a wheelie machine and a jumping machine and a get across town machine. I hope they wear it out!

These young teen fellows are riding bicycles all over town in packs. It is a great sight to see. They don't even bother asking for rides. They just tell me where they are going and zoom, they go. They are here every day and I always ask them how their machines are. Anything that is out of whack get's fixed while they are goofing off around the house. The more I can do to keep them bicycling, the better.

Of course, I sneak in a maintanance lesson for them whenever possible too. "Hey, Joey, hold pull on this brake cable while I tighten the bolt. See this, it is a third-hand-tool... blah, blah, blah"
Awesome. You are the kinda dad I wanna be when my two boys get older. Keep it up.
Gurgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-07, 01:25 PM   #15
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!
 
v1k1ng1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States of Mexico
Bikes:
Posts: 3,424
Whew! Glad it turned out ok.
__________________
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-07, 02:50 PM   #16
superdex
staring at the mountains
 
superdex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Parker, CO
Bikes: 1x9 mtb commuter, Javelin Boca
Posts: 3,660
Dads like you are more important to this sport than any doper race in Europe. I love it! Great job!
superdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-07, 07:30 PM   #17
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!
 
Cyclaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Bikes: several
Posts: 4,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Did the mountain bike get small, or did my kids just get big?

Anyway, I had some fun with it and added some inches to it too.

The new stuff is the ape hanger bars from an old muscle bike and the banana seat also from an old muscle bike.

Of course, the cobra head handle bar grips are a new addition too.

I recovered the banana seat with faux leopard skin.

What do you think of the pimped out mountain bike?
I'd commute on that if it had streamers on the end of the handlebars, for no other reason other that chicks dig faux leopard skin. It would have matched perfectly with the bedspread on my heart shaped waterbed.
__________________
There are 10 types of people in the world - the ones that can count in base 2, the ones that can't count in base 2, and the ones that didn't expect this to be in base 3.
Cyclaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-07, 07:48 PM   #18
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasphil View Post
No wonder kids think their parents are dorks! He'll never get a girl now.
What makes you think he likes girls?
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-07, 08:12 PM   #19
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!
 
Cyclaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Bikes: several
Posts: 4,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator View Post
What makes you think he likes girls?
Statistically he most likely does, what makes you think he doesn't?
__________________
There are 10 types of people in the world - the ones that can count in base 2, the ones that can't count in base 2, and the ones that didn't expect this to be in base 3.
Cyclaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 04:14 PM   #20
mike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 5,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdex View Post
Dads like you are more important to this sport than any doper race in Europe. I love it! Great job!
Thanks, Superdex. You know, for bicycle enthusiasts like us, there is no greater joy that to give a bunch of teens a garage full of old bikes and see them ride them as transportation and fun.

I just say, "take what you need, when you need, fellows and have a ball. Let me know if they need any repairs". Every day my driveway and garage is full of the team of bikes from my son and all his friends coming over by bicycle. They take very good care of the bikes. They line them up nicely - never willy nilly and never laying on the ground, so the seem to appreciate the bikes as real transportation and not as toys.

I told them, "gentlemen, you are graduating from boys to men. These bikes are not toys like your other bikes. These are vehicles and you are sharing the road with automobiles and drivers that expect you to behave like a road vehicle. You have to live up to that expectation". They all seemed to take it seriously. I have seen them on the road during my various commutes and it is a wonderful sight, indeed!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 12:12 AM   #21
cycle life
Le Tour
 
cycle life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Bikes: Schwinn Super Sport
Posts: 154
Hah nice
cycle life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 02:04 AM   #22
oneredstar
the bike made me do it
 
oneredstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Paris, of the prairies
Bikes:
Posts: 528
Nice scraper bike.
oneredstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 05:32 PM   #23
MarylandDeRosa
Likes Steel and Lugs
 
MarylandDeRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NorCal
Bikes: DeRosa Neo Primato, 1984 Trek 660, Buzz Bike Eliminator,1987 Schwinn Paramount, 1983 Trek 730
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Thanks, Superdex. You know, for bicycle enthusiasts like us, there is no greater joy that to give a bunch of teens a garage full of old bikes and see them ride them as transportation and fun.

I just say, "take what you need, when you need, fellows and have a ball. Let me know if they need any repairs". Every day my driveway and garage is full of the team of bikes from my son and all his friends coming over by bicycle. They take very good care of the bikes. They line them up nicely - never willy nilly and never laying on the ground, so the seem to appreciate the bikes as real transportation and not as toys.

I told them, "gentlemen, you are graduating from boys to men. These bikes are not toys like your other bikes. These are vehicles and you are sharing the road with automobiles and drivers that expect you to behave like a road vehicle. You have to live up to that expectation". They all seemed to take it seriously. I have seen them on the road during my various commutes and it is a wonderful sight, indeed!


cool story!
MarylandDeRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 03:36 AM   #24
Gerrylightning
Just Ride
 
Gerrylightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 183
That reminds me of a bike i turned into a choper by bolting togeather two sets of forks end to end,monkey bars,bananna seat, wide slick on the rear and small on the front. my dad helped me buid it and I rode that thing till it coulden't be repaired any more.
I have three kids and some how they seem to multiply when they go outside to play, I swear every kid in the neiborhood is out there, that doesen't bother my wife and I in fact we prefer being the popular spot we know what are kids are up to. That and im just a big kid any way.
Gerrylightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 07:41 PM   #25
BenLi
Hardrocker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,569
You Should Put Xtr Level Componentry On It!!!
BenLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52 PM.