Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Senior Member dannyq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Halifax, N.S. Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Opus Solo
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I want to tilt my saddle up but...

    because I don't it think it does! I see the bolt under the saddle for moving it forward/backward but that's it. Am I missing something here?

  2. #2
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bottom half of the rail clamp is wedged tight on the seatpost. After loosening that bolt give your saddle a sharp karate chop. That should loosen things up.

  3. #3
    Senior Member dannyq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Halifax, N.S. Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Opus Solo
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, I can loosen the rail bolt no problem. I just don't get how to tilt the saddle.

  4. #4
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyq View Post
    Nah, I can loosen the rail bolt no problem. I just don't get how to tilt the saddle.

    That's the one! You need to loosen it MORE. Just enough to raise the top half of the clamp awayf rom the lower half cause it interlocks with grooves and slots formed into the top of the post where the clamp seats.

    Roadfix is right, if you don't loosen it very much, karate chop it into place. Or loosen it more.

    Some clamps have two bolts. You can loosen this one and tighten that one to tilt up and down. Usually on the better posts like a Tompson post ($80).

  5. #5
    Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After seeing this thread and other about bar tape, I wonder if some people can walk and chew gum.

  6. #6
    Senior Member dannyq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Halifax, N.S. Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Opus Solo
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ttopaz View Post
    After seeing this thread and other about bar tape, I wonder if some people can walk and chew gum.
    Actually, I'm not very knowledgeable about bikes yet and I asked on here first before making any adjustments as not to mess anything up.

  7. #7
    Senior Member dannyq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Halifax, N.S. Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Opus Solo
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    That's the one! You need to loosen it MORE. Just enough to raise the top half of the clamp awayf rom the lower half cause it interlocks with grooves and slots formed into the top of the post where the clamp seats.

    Roadfix is right, if you don't loosen it very much, karate chop it into place. Or loosen it more.

    Some clamps have two bolts. You can loosen this one and tighten that one to tilt up and down. Usually on the better posts like a Tompson post ($80).
    Thank you.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Nermal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Farmington, NM
    My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Posts
    1,851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dannyq, I've learned way more from questions like yours than answers like ttopaz's.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

  9. #9
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
    Dannyq, I've learned way more from questions like yours than answers like ttopaz's.

    I'm still working on the walking and chewing gum thang!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dannyq,

    If that doesn't work, try posting a picture in case you have an unusual seat/seatpost situation.

    BTW, I was in Halifax one year during the Busker(sp) festival and it was absolutely great. Hope to get back to Nova Scotia some time.

    Good luck.

  11. #11
    Blow up expert! dapittbull69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Escondido, CA
    My Bikes
    2006 Giant OCR C3
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ttopaz View Post
    After seeing this thread and other about bar tape, I wonder if some people can walk and chew gum.
    i guess being a dick about it helps out in both circumstances! The only way to learn is to ask questions no more how simple they may appear to be to others!

  12. #12
    Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dapittbull69 View Post
    i guess being a dick about it helps out in both circumstances! The only way to learn is to ask questions no more how simple they may appear to be to others!
    Sorry, this is not the only way. One can still search for unswers on this forum or web.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
    Dannyq, I've learned way more from questions like yours than answers like ttopaz's.
    Well said!
    Jitensha de GO!

  14. #14
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ttopaz View Post
    Sorry, this is not the only way. One can still search for unswers on this forum or web.

    Most threads have some many nonsense replies, he'd have to read thru 50 stupid replies to get an answer. At least this way, he can get 3 or 4 good ones and one bad!

    Besides, if everybody searched old topics, reading the forum would be like wathcing I Love Lucy re-runs. Modern day tv and movies are all remakes and reuse of the same old jokes and topics. Works there, why can't it work here?

  15. #15
    Pedal pusher... alicestrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Posts
    7,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a good thread...

    Terry Liberator
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

  16. #16
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A single bolt seatpost almost always need to be jarred loose initially to make tilt adjustments.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyq View Post
    because I don't it think it does! I see the bolt under the saddle for moving it forward/backward but that's it. Am I missing something here?
    Others noted how to do it. It's really good idea to take a sharpie and put a mark across the two serrated parts, so you can tell where it was before.
    Eric

    2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
    199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

    Read my cycling blog at http://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
    Like climbing? Goto http://www.bicycleclimbs.com

  18. #18
    Senior Member dannyq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Halifax, N.S. Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Opus Solo
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace View Post
    dannyq,

    If that doesn't work, try posting a picture in case you have an unusual seat/seatpost situation.

    BTW, I was in Halifax one year during the Busker(sp) festival and it was absolutely great. Hope to get back to Nova Scotia some time.

    Good luck.

    The busker festival is starting next week!

  19. #19
    Senior Member dannyq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Halifax, N.S. Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Opus Solo
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Most threads have some many nonsense replies, he'd have to read thru 50 stupid replies to get an answer. At least this way, he can get 3 or 4 good ones and one bad!

    Besides, if everybody searched old topics, reading the forum would be like wathcing I Love Lucy re-runs. Modern day tv and movies are all remakes and reuse of the same old jokes and topics. Works there, why can't it work here?
    I always search for a long time before asking any questions on here so I can be somewhat certain the question wasn't already asked.

    I hate the "do a search" replies.

  20. #20
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ttopaz View Post
    After seeing this thread and other about bar tape, I wonder if some people can walk and chew gum.
    I've just mastered walking & farting, chewing gum in my next goal.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hammonton, NJ
    My Bikes
    Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100
    Posts
    870
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyq View Post
    because I don't it think it does! I see the bolt under the saddle for moving it forward/backward but that's it. Am I missing something here?
    if you loosen the bolt more, it will eventually allow you to "lift" on the seat and allow you to tilt it...

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyq View Post
    because I don't it think it does! I see the bolt under the saddle for moving it forward/backward but that's it. Am I missing something here?
    You might have your seatpost installed backwards.
    That happened to me once.
    Once you turned the seatpost the right way, all the problems will be solved.

  23. #23
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,435
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    I've just mastered walking & farting, chewing gum in my next goal.
    Gum always gives me gas and I can't walk when I'm farting.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  24. #24
    Sophomoric Member Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dancing in Lansing
    Posts
    20,435
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ttopaz View Post
    Sorry, this is not the only way. One can still search for unswers on this forum or web.
    You could search for etiquette.


    "Think Outside the Cage"

  25. #25
    Senior Member Billy Bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Shanghai, West Virginia
    Posts
    488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Good Messages Go Bad

    Anyway dannyq, you just encountered one of my pet peeves about cycling mechanical stuff, that darned saddle adjustment bolt and block. The use of a single bolt to adjust both saddle pitch and horizontal slew is the very definition of "inelegant" and you are justified in being temporarily stymied by it. I have been cycling for five decades and still lay down a barrage of blashpemy and scatology when I try to adjust one. But then I can't chew gum and chew gum simultaneously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •