Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you shave your legs?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, It looks good

    37 40.22%
  • No, shaving is for chicks

    57 61.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 122
  1. #1
    Nitro xcracer13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    canyon lake, tx
    My Bikes
    Salsa
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Men: why shave your legs

    Im curious why people in cycling shave their legs. I never truly understood why some people do. Thoughts?
    www.teamnrc.com
    When you feel good, racing is hard. When you're not good, its worse.. - Sager

  2. #2
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,939
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I don't get why society wants us to shave our legs either ... but they do ... especially if we're going to wear capri pants on skirts to work or school. Oh well, it's life I guess .......... but in the winter, when I can wear long pants to work and school, I don't bother.

  3. #3
    Two H's!!! TWO!!!!! chephy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    4,178
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your post is sexist. What about women who don't shave?

    The reason male cyclists shave legs is to cut down on drag. If you're in Tour de France, it probably makes a difference. Otherwise probably not.
    Stomping as lightly as I can...

  4. #4
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,939
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chephy View Post
    Your post is sexist. What about women who don't shave?
    Like me! See post above!

    Quote Originally Posted by chephy View Post
    The reason male cyclists shave legs is to cut down on drag. If you're in Tour de France, it probably makes a difference. Otherwise probably not.
    Actually it isn't to cut down on drag - hair or the lack of it doesn't make that much difference. It's to make cleaning out road rash easier. If you've ever tried to clean gravel out of a leg wound when you've got a hairy leg, you'll know what I'm talking about. Moments like those ... I wish I did shave more often.

  5. #5
    Two H's!!! TWO!!!!! chephy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    4,178
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stomping as lightly as I can...

  6. #6
    Senior Member Nachoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Point Loma, CA
    My Bikes
    Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)
    Posts
    12,983
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a word, yes.
    .
    .

    Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is all for the entity known as bike forums. More repeated content to drag up weekly.

    Reasons to name a few:
    1) Vanity
    2) It looks better
    3) Easier to apply sunscreen
    4) Massages feel better
    5) Easier to clean out road rash.
    6) Spandex with hairs sticking out of them looks awful.



    I really do not understand why this question comes up so often. Many other sports involve shaving various body parts. Swimmers, body builders, etc.
    Do forums devoted to these sports suffer from the same incessant questions?

  8. #8
    Senior Member dauphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DataJunkie View Post
    It is all for the entity known as bike forums. More repeated content to drag up weekly.

    Reasons to name a few:
    1) Vanity
    2) It looks better
    3) Easier to apply sunscreen
    4) Massages feel better
    5) Easier to clean out road rash.
    6) Spandex with hairs sticking out of them looks awful.



    I really do not understand why this question comes up so often. Many other sports involve shaving various body parts. Swimmers, body builders, etc.
    Do forums devoted to these sports suffer from the same incessant questions?
    ...as long as people continue to answer them.....

  9. #9
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,939
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chephy View Post
    Your post is sexist. What about women who don't shave?

    The reason male cyclists shave legs ...

    Quote Originally Posted by DataJunkie View Post
    Do forums devoted to these sports suffer from the same incessant questions?
    Well first, in this case, I suspect that xcracer13 didn't realize that women ride bicycles too, or he wouldn't have posted this particular poll with the wording he chose. I thought it was greatly amusing that the first two people to respond were female cyclists.

    Second, I suspect that xcracer13 is 13 years old and doesn't know any better.

  10. #10
    Senior Member BikeManDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    1,300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason that made any remote sense to me was for massage

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin View Post
    ...as long as people continue to answer them.....
    One could say the same thing about your arrogant response.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Aus
    Posts
    632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post

    Second, I suspect that xcracer13 is 13 years old and doesn't know any better.
    Maybe then he's got some bum fluff coming out and wants some advice.

    And yes, the original post is sexist.
    I want to live.

  13. #13
    Carbon Fiber Bones elgalad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    My Bikes
    '07 Scott Speedster S30
    Posts
    980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by damnable View Post
    Maybe then he's got some bum fluff coming out and wants some advice.

    And yes, the original post is sexist.
    How so?

    Yes, female cyclists shave their legs too, but in the context of a society where women shave their legs anyway, it's not viewed as unusual for female cyclists to shave.

    However, men generally do not shave their legs, except where they participate in a particular activity for which shaving is beneficial, so men shaving their legs for cycling could easily be viewed as out of the ordinary, hence the question.

    Why do women shave their legs for cycling? That doesn't even make sense, as the vast majority of women shave their legs anyway (well, all the women I know), so they're not specifically shaving as a result of being a cyclist.

    People are too quick to jump on the bandwagon of political correctness. There are clearly differences between men and women. That doesn't make one any better or worse than the other, just different. To suggest that something is peculiar to one sex and not the other is not derogatory, except in cases where such generalisations are clearly incorrect (eg. all men are smarter than women).

  14. #14
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,939
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgalad View Post
    How so?

    Yes, female cyclists shave their legs too, but in the context of a society where women shave their legs anyway, it's not viewed as unusual for female cyclists to shave.

    However, men generally do not shave their legs, except where they participate in a particular activity for which shaving is beneficial, so men shaving their legs for cycling could easily be viewed as out of the ordinary, hence the question.

    Why do women shave their legs for cycling? That doesn't even make sense, as the vast majority of women shave their legs anyway (well, all the women I know), so they're not specifically shaving as a result of being a cyclist.

    People are too quick to jump on the bandwagon of political correctness. There are clearly differences between men and women. That doesn't make one any better or worse than the other, just different. To suggest that something is peculiar to one sex and not the other is not derogatory, except in cases where such generalisations are clearly incorrect (eg. all men are smarter than women).
    How so? You must have had difficulty reading the question. First, I'm a WOMAN or a LADY ... not a CHICK. Second, I'm a lady who does NOT shave her legs ... at least not regularly ... so shaving is not necessarily something that "chicks" do. In fact, I know a lot of women in this part of the world who do not shave their legs during the winter. Therefore the generalization is clearly incorrect.

  15. #15
    totally louche Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you'll only need to shave your legs for bicycling if you:

    a)intend to crash.
    "Evidence, anecdote and methodology all support planning for roadway bike traffic."

  16. #16
    Sister Annie Sianelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hauraki Plains District, New Zealand
    My Bikes
    Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......
    Posts
    1,525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    How so? You must have had difficulty reading the question. First, I'm a WOMAN or a LADY ... not a CHICK. Second, I'm a lady who does NOT shave her legs ... at least not regularly ... so shaving is not necessarily something that "chicks" do. In fact, I know a lot of women in this part of the world who do not shave their legs during the winter. Therefore the generalization is clearly incorrect.
    Crikey yes. Women in my part of the world often leave their legs to go hairy over Winter too. I certainly do this myself because I'm usually wearing either long trousers or opaque Winter and Autumn weight stockings during the colder weather and there's no point in mucking about with unecessary grooming.
    OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.

  17. #17
    Senior Member stevegor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oz
    My Bikes
    lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!
    Posts
    2,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a man.....and when I raced I shaved my legs
    1% for ease of cleaning out gravel if I crashed,
    0% for aero-dynamics
    99% for sheer and utter vanity.....cos, man did they look unreal, especially after a 10 week block of intense training.....made Arnie's pegs look like chicken legs.

    Now I don't race I don't shave and it must annoy the heck out of the CF pretty boys when an old geezer with gorilla legs whips their collective butts on Sat morning hit outs

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Aus
    Posts
    632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgalad View Post
    How so?

    Yes, female cyclists shave their legs too, but in the context of a society where women shave their legs anyway, it's not viewed as unusual for female cyclists to shave.

    However, men generally do not shave their legs, except where they participate in a particular activity for which shaving is beneficial, so men shaving their legs for cycling could easily be viewed as out of the ordinary, hence the question.

    Why do women shave their legs for cycling? That doesn't even make sense, as the vast majority of women shave their legs anyway (well, all the women I know), so they're not specifically shaving as a result of being a cyclist.

    People are too quick to jump on the bandwagon of political correctness. There are clearly differences between men and women. That doesn't make one any better or worse than the other, just different. To suggest that something is peculiar to one sex and not the other is not derogatory, except in cases where such generalisations are clearly incorrect (eg. all men are smarter than women).
    You are presuming here that all women in society shave their legs. I am one of quite a few women I know who do not regularly do this. Oh no, according to you, I am going against society.

    Also, as Machka has said, I am a woman and not a 'chick'.

    My main gripe however was that the question was obviously directed only at men, especially since as people seem to have pointed out 'most women shave their legs anyway'. The questions is also impying that all 'chicks' should be shaving their legs. I'm not concerned since I refuse to be a 'chick'.
    I want to live.

  19. #19
    pj7
    pj7 is offline
    On Sabbatical
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shave my back.
    ...sometimes
    I am a sig Virus. Please put me in your sig so that I can continue to replicate.

  20. #20
    Carbon Fiber Bones elgalad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    My Bikes
    '07 Scott Speedster S30
    Posts
    980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by damnable View Post
    You are presuming here that all women in society shave their legs. I am one of quite a few women I know who do not regularly do this. Oh no, according to you, I am going against society.

    Also, as Machka has said, I am a woman and not a 'chick'.

    My main gripe however was that the question was obviously directed only at men, especially since as people seem to have pointed out 'most women shave their legs anyway'. The questions is also impying that all 'chicks' should be shaving their legs. I'm not concerned since I refuse to be a 'chick'.
    No, it implies that women shave their legs, whilst men do not (outside of specific sports), which is true for the majority of women. The only reason you read into it that it implies you should be shaving your legs as a woman is because you feel somehow put upon by society in that it is more acceptable for women to have shaved legs. Don't take that out on the OP.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Aus
    Posts
    632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgalad View Post
    No, it implies that women shave their legs, whilst men do not (outside of specific sports), which is true for the majority of women. The only reason you read into it that it implies you should be shaving your legs as a woman is because you feel somehow put upon by society in that it is more acceptable for women to have shaved legs. Don't take that out on the OP.
    Right, so do you have the data to back that up?
    If I felt that I had to shave my legs because I feel 'put upon' by society to do so, then I would shave my legs.

    You accuse me of reading too much into what people say, yet then somehow from my few comments dare tell me about my feelings on peer pressure and social conformity.
    I want to live.

  22. #22
    Senior Member geebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    My Bikes
    GT3 trike,Viper chopper, electric assist Viper chopper,Electric moped(Vespa style)
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xcracer13 View Post
    Im curious why people in cycling shave their legs. I never truly understood why some people do. Thoughts?
    People get a life.
    There is nothing sexist about this question, it is straight forward and completely innocent as far as I can tell and in view of the comments made I am trying to see fault in it.
    The only possible fault is that a search would have answered it, and if that is a crime there are a hell of a lot of criminals around here.
    Greenspeed GLR trike
    JC-70 trike
    Avanti Atomic Disc mtb
    Custom electric chopper

  23. #23
    Carbon Fiber Bones elgalad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    My Bikes
    '07 Scott Speedster S30
    Posts
    980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    People get a life.
    There is nothing sexist about this question, it is straight forward and completely innocent as far as I can tell and in view of the comments made I am trying to see fault in it.
    The only possible fault is that a search would have answered it, and if that is a crime there are a hell of a lot of criminals around here.
    Thank you.

    Well, except maybe for the "get a life" bit

  24. #24
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,939
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    People get a life.
    There is nothing sexist about this question, it is straight forward and completely innocent as far as I can tell and in view of the comments made I am trying to see fault in it.
    The only possible fault is that a search would have answered it, and if that is a crime there are a hell of a lot of criminals around here.
    Did you read the rest of the question??? Apparently not. The question is clearly written as though:

    1) all the forum members here are male
    2) all women shave their legs

    Neither of those presumptions is true.

    I'm not sure if that makes the question "sexist" or not, but it does make it necessary to point out to the OP that not all forum members here are male, and not all women shave their legs.

    And also that many women don't appreciate being referred to as "chicks". We prefer being shown a little bit of respect.

  25. #25
    Senior Member geebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    My Bikes
    GT3 trike,Viper chopper, electric assist Viper chopper,Electric moped(Vespa style)
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies, I took the question as the whole with out reading the poll.
    Greenspeed GLR trike
    JC-70 trike
    Avanti Atomic Disc mtb
    Custom electric chopper

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •