Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-07, 08:57 AM   #1
no motor?
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 5,041
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Good article on bicycling to school.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071026/...hool_commuters
no motor? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 09:10 AM   #2
shumacher
Senior Member
 
shumacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hammond, LA
Bikes: 95 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 92 Specialized Sirrus Triple
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On a nearby sidewalk, parents lead a group of children to school on a "walking bus" a convoy of kids without the bus. It's part of the Safe Routes to School program, a $612 million effort to increase physical activity among students throughout the nation by getting them to bike or walk to school.


Wait, what's the $612,000,000 for again? Parents walking with children or riding a bike with children seems like the monetarily cheapest thing in the world, even if it's immensely valuable. Are they spending it on advertising? I'm actually curious about this.
shumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 10:03 AM   #3
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Posts: 26,914
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shumacher View Post
[i][indent]
Wait, what's the $612,000,000 for again? Are they spending it on advertising? I'm actually curious about this.
I suspect the money is earmarked for roadway improvements to make them more pedistrian and bicycle friendly. Like it or not, we have developed suburban areas that aren't designed very well for getting around anyway except by private automobile.

Many people have a vision in their minds of a middle school that's maybe a mile over subdivision streets from where they live. That's just not the way that it is where I live. I work in a large suburban school district. Some of the middle school students live over 20 miles away. The middle schools also tend to be located just off of busy, high speed roads - roads that I personally avoid on my bicycle and roads that I certainly wouldn't want my 11 or 12 year old kids riding on.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 11:23 AM   #4
JPradun
Pokes On Spokes
 
JPradun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So when will all cities implement bike lanes? Or, to even maintain current bike paths..

Oh wait, this is America...
JPradun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 11:30 AM   #5
no motor?
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 5,041
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shumacher View Post
On a nearby sidewalk, parents lead a group of children to school on a "walking bus" a convoy of kids without the bus. It's part of the Safe Routes to School program, a $612 million effort to increase physical activity among students throughout the nation by getting them to bike or walk to school.


Wait, what's the $612,000,000 for again? Parents walking with children or riding a bike with children seems like the monetarily cheapest thing in the world, even if it's immensely valuable. Are they spending it on advertising? I'm actually curious about this.
I can't answer those questions - I just happened to see the article earlier on Yahoo and thought it was good in that it made walking or bicycling to school look good. You don't see many articles like that, do you?
no motor? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 12:12 PM   #6
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,768
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
I suspect the money is earmarked for roadway improvements to make them more pedistrian and bicycle friendly. Like it or not, we have developed suburban areas that aren't designed very well for getting around anyway except by private automobile.

Many people have a vision in their minds of a middle school that's maybe a mile over subdivision streets from where they live. That's just not the way that it is where I live. I work in a large suburban school district. Some of the middle school students live over 20 miles away. The middle schools also tend to be located just off of busy, high speed roads - roads that I personally avoid on my bicycle and roads that I certainly wouldn't want my 11 or 12 year old kids riding on.

Just like the ones around here. There are a ring of subdivisions near and around where the schools are located, however they are all lollipop style and the only access road to the schools is a narrow 2 lane 45mph POSTED (55+mph average) that carries way too much traffic. A far cry from the old neighborhoods schools that I remember. There are no side walks and no way for an adult much less a child to ride to school safely. In fact there have been several bad wrecks right in front the middle school caused by the high schoolers and other inattentive drivers.


Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 12:12 PM   #7
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Posts: 26,914
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPradun View Post
So when will all cities implement bike lanes? Or, to even maintain current bike paths..

Oh wait, this is America...
Yeah. Unless you have a really good VOmax I wouldn't hold my breath.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 01:49 PM   #8
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.
 
davidmcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
I can't answer those questions - I just happened to see the article earlier on Yahoo and thought it was good in that it made walking or bicycling to school look good. You don't see many articles like that, do you?
I can. The 612 million goes toward two types of programs : Infrastructure programs and Education Programs. The Infrastructure grants are used to improve conditions near schools. (i.e. paint crosswalks, complete MUP paths, add crossing signals) so that the conditions are safer for kids to walk or bike to school.

The other piece pays for my job (education) which is going into the schools and doing bicycle/pedestrian safety courses combined with some bicycle skills development with the kids as well as coordinating with the schools, the parents, and the community to put on encouragement programs to get the kids walking and biking to school.

Considering the amount of money that goes into Roads in the U.S. the 612 million over five years is chicken scratch.

But man do I love my job.
davidmcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 03:52 PM   #9
tsunam
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wait...kids need a program to get them to walk to school.... I've always lived fairly close to school (within the 2 mile for the school bus area) and walked until I got a drivers license...Has it changed that most kids get driven to school now? (I've not been in that kind of situation for 15 years now...)

What a wonderful use of my tax money =|. Can we just smack the parents upside the head and be done with it?
tsunam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 04:16 PM   #10
atbman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Leeds UK
Bikes:
Posts: 1,997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
In the UK there are several schools with bike trains as well as walking buses.

A number of parents are trained to take gourps of kids to school by bike. All of them wear hi-viz tabards and there are parents for and aft of each group - not sure of the size
atbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 04:28 PM   #11
atbman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Leeds UK
Bikes:
Posts: 1,997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
For more info:

http://www.northlan.gov.uk/leisure+a...to+school.html

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/21792/Light-up-their-lives

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/index.cfm...rticleid=34671

http://www.sewta.gov.uk/newsarchive....hoolBikeTrains
atbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:32 PM.