Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   The year a bike was made (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/363927-year-bike-made.html)

Brian T 11-20-07 02:29 PM

The year a bike was made
 
1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know how to tell what year a bike was made?
Maybe the one in the picture?:rolleyes:
Thanks in advance:D

velonomad 11-20-07 02:33 PM

Saw the seat tube in half just above the bottom bracket and count the growth rings,

ebr898 11-20-07 02:35 PM

If you post the same question in Classic & Vintage , you might get more responses

MMACH 5 11-20-07 02:42 PM

Look at the code letters on the derailers.

This page will tell you what those letters mean:
http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm

It won't tell you when your bike was made but knowing when the components were manufactured will give you a good idea.

JanMM 11-20-07 07:09 PM

If it has indexed shifting, then it was made after 1985, approximately.

blickblocks 11-20-07 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 5668952)
If it has indexed shifting, then it was made after 1985, approximately.

That's not really a great judge. Specific component dating is much better.

Brian T 11-20-07 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMACH 5 (Post 5667232)
Look at the code letters on the derailers.

This page will tell you what those letters mean:
http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm

It won't tell you when your bike was made but knowing when the components were manufactured will give you a good idea.

Thats great! I just looked, 1085 was the number. That helped a lot. Not bad for $35 bucks. Thanks everyone.

Cyclaholic 11-21-07 01:20 AM

:roflmao:
Quote:

Originally Posted by velonomad (Post 5667176)
Saw the seat tube in half just above the bottom bracket and count the growth rings,


East Hill 11-21-07 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 5670273)
Thats great! I just looked, 1085 was the number. That helped a lot. Not bad for $35 bucks. Thanks everyone.

We'd be happy to admire it in C & V, by the way.

Should I mention that I have five Nishikis? I love Nishikis :D .

East Hill


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:22 PM.