Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    66,67 or 68? Bottecchia w/ "Campione del Mondo 1966" decal
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How old are these 2 oldies?







  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    66,67 or 68? Bottecchia w/ "Campione del Mondo 1966" decal
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)






  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    66,67 or 68? Bottecchia w/ "Campione del Mondo 1966" decal
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sexy, no?

  4. #4
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guys over in the Classic and Vintage Forum would probably know.
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

  5. #5
    The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They both look like mid 70's to me based on components etc. Date codes on the components can be checked at http://vintage-trek.com

    EDIT: Classic & Vintage has one regular that really likes mixtes... So I am sure there will be good information over there. And I think he is from the bay area too.

  6. #6
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,966
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Bridgestone is probably around 1982 or 83. The Suntour ARX was a low end mountain bike group if I recall correctly.

    The Motobecane is a little older...probably 1977 to 1980...and likely with Suntour VxGT derailers.

    Both bikes are okay but nothing to write home about. Entry level bikes. And the mixte design was a mistake from the beginning.
    Last edited by cyccommute; 11-25-07 at 04:10 PM.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  7. #7
    Old biker
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Radium Springs, NM
    My Bikes
    Custom Cammack touring road and 1987 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
    The Bridgestone is probably around 1982 or 83. The Suntour ARX was a low end mountain bike group if I recall correctly.

    The Motobecane is a little older...probably 1977 to 1980...and likely with Suntour VxGT derailers.

    Both bikes are okay but nothing to write home about. Entry level bikes and the mixte design was a mistake from the beginning.
    Neither are entry level bikes. Entry level bikes didn't have forged dropouts with integral derailer hangers nor cotterless aluminum cranksets. They are at least mid level quailty. The mixte design was popular with families that only had one bike for both male and female riders. I Rivendell still makes mixte bikes. I have a female friend who just bought one.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    66,67 or 68? Bottecchia w/ "Campione del Mondo 1966" decal
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised that no one said anything about the neon green handle grips.

  9. #9
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,966
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesC View Post
    Neither are entry level bikes. Entry level bikes didn't have forged dropouts with integral derailer hangers nor cotterless aluminum cranksets. They are at least mid level quailty. The mixte design was popular with families that only had one bike for both male and female riders. I Rivendell still makes mixte bikes. I have a female friend who just bought one.
    Entry level bikes...that's bike store bikes not department store bikes...of the late 70s had everything you see on those two bikes...including forged hangers and aluminum cranks.

    The mixte design was marketed to small women because it gave better standover height but the problem with the design was that they pushed the front end further out and made the effective top tube length longer than a corresponding mens frame. For small women that have shorter arms to begin with, this lead to all kinds of comfort and handling issues. My wife had at least 2 of them (about the same level as those pictured) and was never comfortable with them. Things got much better when the bike makers started to 'really' design bikes for women.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  10. #10
    biked well well biked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,882
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a site that might help you determine the age of the bikes, assuming the components are mostly original. My guess is that they are. Click on "component dates" and you'll find date codes for the major component brands you can match to the date codes stamped on your components. www.vintage-trek.com

    My guess is the Bridgestone is from around '84, I have an all-original 1984 Schwinn le tour that has Suntour ARX derailleurs on it. I think the Motobecane is likely a few years older than the Bridgestone. The Bridgestone is indeed the "better" bike, it's a chromoly frame with forged dropouts, whereas the Motobecane appears to have a high-ten tubing decal, and it also has stamped dropouts with an adapter claw derailleur hanger. The components seem to be better on the Bridgestone as well.

    edit: I see that Little Darwin already posted the link to vintage trek, sorry-
    Last edited by well biked; 11-25-07 at 09:06 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Grand Bois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pinole, CA, USA
    Posts
    15,497
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
    Entry level bikes...that's bike store bikes not department store bikes...of the late 70s had everything you see on those two bikes...including forged hangers and aluminum cranks.

    The mixte design was marketed to small women because it gave better standover height but the problem with the design was that they pushed the front end further out and made the effective top tube length longer than a corresponding mens frame. For small women that have shorter arms to begin with, this lead to all kinds of comfort and handling issues. My wife had at least 2 of them (about the same level as those pictured) and was never comfortable with them. Things got much better when the bike makers started to 'really' design bikes for women.
    Funny, I've found exactly the opposite to be true. The mixtes I've had experience with have had especially short effective top tubes. My wife's current bike is no exception:



    Either is this one:



    The Bridgestone has the edge with its cromoly frame and forged Suntour dropouts, but the Motobecane has the distinction of being made in France

  12. #12
    the bike made me do it oneredstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Paris, of the prairies
    Posts
    528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To most people those bikes are probably nothing special. They would make great fixed gear conversions though. I am pretty sure that there are a few people looking for such bikes in the fixed gear forum. Just can't remember who though.

  13. #13
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,828
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think mixte has always (since at least the 70's, anyway) meant Ladies Bike in the US.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    66,67 or 68? Bottecchia w/ "Campione del Mondo 1966" decal
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    I think mixte has always (since at least the 70's, anyway) meant Ladies Bike in the US.
    Ladies bike? Hot damn... I'll still rock it..

  15. #15
    . blickblocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,862
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Bridgestone would make a great singlespeed conversion. May or may not be a hassle in finding a better saddle because you might also need a new seatpost.

    Oh and "Mixte" is French for "mixed" (if you couldn't guess). It's unisex, like all bikes, but mixed by means of halfway between a "traditional" men's and women's frame. Only slightly heavier than a regular frame but also a bit stiffer in the drivetrain (and that's good).

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    66,67 or 68? Bottecchia w/ "Campione del Mondo 1966" decal
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blickblocks View Post
    That Bridgestone would make a great singlespeed conversion. May or may not be a hassle in finding a better saddle because you might also need a new seatpost.

    Oh and "Mixte" is French for "mixed" (if you couldn't guess). It's unisex, like all bikes, but mixed by means of halfway between a "traditional" men's and women's frame. Only slightly heavier than a regular frame but also a bit stiffer in the drivetrain (and that's good).
    I was thinking the same thing about converting the Bridgestone into a fixie. I have an extra seatpost that I'll throw on tonight.

    One drawback of the mixte when I first got it was the weight, esp. the rear end.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Timtruro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Truro, MA
    Posts
    1,572
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    how old?

    The Motobecane (sp) is probably in the 1973 range, no idea on the other

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    66,67 or 68? Bottecchia w/ "Campione del Mondo 1966" decal
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the input.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •