Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-03, 08:28 AM   #1
ngateguy
Center of the Universe
Thread Starter
 
ngateguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700
Posts: 4,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why Programs

I was just browsing the forum section of one of our local bike clubs website and it got me to thinking (I know some of you probably don't like the thought of that ).

The thread was about commuting and buses and some one wanted said that they had no need for a bus commute but they thought it would be nice to take the bus somewhere and ride home. They asked if Metro (Seattle/King Counties transit system) or the bike club had some kind of proigram for this. Why do people think they need a program or organized event , class or some such, to go out and do things? Why can;'t they just do it?(first off how could you do an organized program with this the bus only carries 2 bikes) Go out and enjoy the solo ride,go riding on the local trails and meet other riders. I know I am preaching to the chior here, I don't think there are many, if any people on this site that just ride in organized function., I just find the thought sort of silly. On that subject I do use the bus to take me out to places then ride back, Snohomish Conty where I live is largely rural and the transit system can take me miles into the country and I can ride back through the Mountains and foorthills, its a great way to spend a Saturday or Sunday.
__________________
Matthew 6
ngateguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-03, 10:25 AM   #2
TrekRider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gambrills, Maryland
Bikes:
Posts: 2,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngateguy
I was just browsing the forum section of one of our local bike clubs website and it got me to thinking (I know some of you probably don't like the thought of that ).

The thread was about commuting and buses and some one wanted said that they had no need for a bus commute but they thought it would be nice to take the bus somewhere and ride home. They asked if Metro (Seattle/King Counties transit system) or the bike club had some kind of proigram for this. Why do people think they need a program or organized event , class or some such, to go out and do things? Why can;'t they just do it?(first off how could you do an organized program with this the bus only carries 2 bikes) Go out and enjoy the solo ride,go riding on the local trails and meet other riders. I know I am preaching to the chior here, I don't think there are many, if any people on this site that just ride in organized function., I just find the thought sort of silly. On that subject I do use the bus to take me out to places then ride back, Snohomish Conty where I live is largely rural and the transit system can take me miles into the country and I can ride back through the Mountains and foorthills, its a great way to spend a Saturday or Sunday.
Our local bus service has bike racks that hold up to 10 bikes. The MARC (commuter trains) that run to Baltimore and D.C. let you take bikes on board. The D.C. subway has designated cars on which you can take your bike.

And you are spot on about "organized" programs. Nike is right, Just Do It!
TrekRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-03, 04:31 PM   #3
Grampy™
Geezer Member
 
Grampy™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
Posts: 1,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a wierd one for ya, I've never been on any kind of organized ride. Don't care for them. I love to ride with friends, just not crowds.

I've never thought about the bus though..... neat Idea, I just may try it.

Last edited by Grampy™; 10-18-03 at 06:19 PM.
Grampy™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-03, 06:12 PM   #4
dougfoot
Micro Rider
 
dougfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As I ride a recumbent tricycle, taking any form of mass trasit with my Micro is, so far, out of the question... If I want to ride on any "out of the way" trails, I have to get there by riding, or, my wife takes me there and drops me off. When I do my weekend rides, I just go and ride. The only "organized rides" I participate in are 100 or more miles - this year I completed the Seattle to Portland (one day ride) and the Vine Ride (100 mile route). Gearing up already for next year's riding schedule.
dougfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-03, 06:37 AM   #5
Swimjim
Senior Member
 
Swimjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: On Wisconsin
Bikes: Klein Quantum, Sanwa, Schwinn Le Tour
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am fortuneate to live miles and miles from any mass transit. I prefer it that way. Sure I do organised rides. The closest one, SAGBRAW, starts about ten miles away from my house. Theres too much baggage involved in that one just to ride to the jump off point, so I get dropped off. Most of the local club rides are twenty five to fifty miles out, so I load up the bike in my work van and go. Now I may get to the point where I can ride to a start point, do a century and then ride back. But I'm not too that point yet.
I do plenty of solo riding too. For that I just take off from my house. I have the wonderful choice of doing country roads through Wisconsin farm land or I can get on the Interurban bike trail which passes about a mile from my house. Although I don't consider myself to be anti-social, I enjoy some of my solo rides the most. Especially this time of year with the crisp air and the changing color.

Jim
Swimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-03, 07:17 AM   #6
johnnyk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Central CT
Bikes:
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Before AMTRAK discontinued much of its bike transportation here in the northeast I used to take the "Vermonter" from Hartford CT to Amherst MA with my bicycle and ride back home, a trip of approx. 65 miles by bike. And of those 65 miles, only about 10 of them were on numbered routes. Very rural and scenic. Now that AMTRAK has changed its policy, it now forces me to make this a two day venture. I drive to Amherst with the bike on top of the car, leave the car there, and ride back home. Then, day two, take the train back to Amherst to pick-up the car. Still a fun trip, but have to depend on the car.
johnnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-03, 02:47 PM   #7
ngateguy
Center of the Universe
Thread Starter
 
ngateguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700
Posts: 4,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekRider
Our local bus service has bike racks that hold up to 10 bikes. The MARC (commuter trains) that run to Baltimore and D.C. let you take bikes on board. The D.C. subway has designated cars on which you can take your bike.

And you are spot on about "organized" programs. Nike is right, Just Do It!
Man I wish we had bike racks like that here there are times I have to wait 2 or 3 busue to get home at night.

And we got to stop doing this trek my exact words to this guy was "You don't need a program, just do it" we are thinking alike again

on trains Amtrak here has a train that runs from Eugene OR to Vancouver BC for an extra $5 they have bike racks in the baggage car so you can hang up your bikes cand back fro the STP my first year on Amtrak. I ride north to Mount Vernon WA (45 miles) spend the day with friends and catch the AMtrak back. The station is only 1/2 mile from my house.
__________________
Matthew 6
ngateguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-03, 02:49 PM   #8
ngateguy
Center of the Universe
Thread Starter
 
ngateguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700
Posts: 4,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampy™
I got a wierd one for ya, I've never been on any kind of organized ride. Don't care for them. I love to ride with friends, just not crowds.

I've never thought about the bus though..... neat Idea, I just may try it.
I'm not big on organized rides either only do about 3 or three a year. I prefer solo and riding with friends
__________________
Matthew 6
ngateguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-03, 07:51 PM   #9
randya
Senior Member
 
randya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: in bed with your mom
Bikes: who cares?
Posts: 13,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious how a bus can have bike racks for ten bikes?
randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-03, 11:03 PM   #10
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randya
I'm just curious how a bus can have bike racks for ten bikes?
Same here. Can you post a pic of the ten bike setup?


I pulled this off the DC Metrobus website. They appear to be using a Sportworks rack just like the PSTA and HARTline bus systems down here.
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:13 PM.