Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-03, 03:28 AM   #1
jump
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bellevue, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need a speedometer for little wheels

Hey all, remember me? heheh. So I got a gas scooter just tonight off ebay and I'm lookin for a speedometer that will work with it's little wheels with only 80cm circumference (10in tall). Something must be around, anybody have an idea? I don't want to share my cyclocomputer on my bike with my scooter - it only goes down to a 100cm wheel size and I wouldn't want to mix my gas and bike miles anyways. Any finds?

Don't take me wrong ... this scooter is never going to come close to replacing my bike. I love biking. I thought this scooter was cool so I got it. And I can fold it up, stuff it in a locker or something at school, and take it home (if I'm lucky, it's not very compact). Plus I can take it to work without getting all smelly. I don't mind getting smelly when I'm on my bike, but I bet the boss would when I arrive!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3631886176

Thanks all!
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-03, 11:07 AM   #2
sch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Mountain Brook. AL
Bikes:
Posts: 3,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
One simple solution would be to mount two magnets on the wheel, this would double pulse the computer and make it think the wheel was 2x as large, then
enter a multiplier for a wheel 2x the size of your wheel. Just tried it with my
road bike and speedo reads 6mph with one magnet, 12mph with two. Put the magnets 180 degrees apart on the wheel. Steve
sch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-03, 11:18 AM   #3
Gojohnnygo.
Burn-em Upus Icephaltus
 
Gojohnnygo.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 2,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This should work.
Accepts wheels with a circumference of 1 mm to 3999 mm or a diameter of .5 mm to 127 cm (50 inches). The wired model is often used for non-bicycle applications such as motorcycles, karts, mopeds, scooter, road equipment, etc
You can find it here. http://www.branfordbike.com/computer/comp5.html
__________________
Sick BubbleGum
Gojohnnygo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-03, 04:35 PM   #4
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just roll out the wheels like a bike, then follow the directions to calabrate the computer.
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-03, 05:11 PM   #5
jump
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bellevue, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sch
One simple solution would be to mount two magnets on the wheel, this would double pulse the computer and make it think the wheel was 2x as large, then
enter a multiplier for a wheel 2x the size of your wheel. Just tried it with my
road bike and speedo reads 6mph with one magnet, 12mph with two. Put the magnets 180 degrees apart on the wheel. Steve
lol ... no ... that would make it think that the wheels on the scooter has 1/2 the circumference. The ideal thing to do would have the speedometer pick up the magnet's field every other revolution, but that won't work unless I do some electronic work (and I don't want to cut up my probe). I could do that, but I'd end up with a permanent scootometer ... good thinking though ...
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-03, 05:12 PM   #6
jump
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bellevue, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDan
Just roll out the wheels like a bike, then follow the directions to calabrate the computer.
The wheel's too small for the speedometer. Like, the 80mm circumference is beyond the lowest value of the cyclocomputer.
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-03, 05:15 PM   #7
jump
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bellevue, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojohnnygo.
This should work.
Accepts wheels with a circumference of 1 mm to 3999 mm or a diameter of .5 mm to 127 cm (50 inches). The wired model is often used for non-bicycle applications such as motorcycles, karts, mopeds, scooter, road equipment, etc
You can find it here. http://www.branfordbike.com/computer/comp5.html
Hey nice find! Thanks a lot!!
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-03, 06:40 PM   #8
sch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Mountain Brook. AL
Bikes:
Posts: 3,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
[QUOTE=jump]lol ... no ... that would make it think that the wheels on the scooter has 1/2 the circumference. The ideal thing to do would have the speedometer pick up the magnet's field every other revolution, but that won't work unless I do some electronic work (and I don't want to cut up my probe). I could do that, but I'd end up with a permanent scootometer ... good thinking though ...[/QUOTE/]

Good thing I left physics for other endeavors.... Steve
sch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-03, 08:38 PM   #9
JasBike
Senior Member
 
JasBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: CT
Bikes:
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you could just set it for a tire size 2x as big and figure half the displayed MPH? would that work?
JasBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-03, 03:27 AM   #10
jump
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bellevue, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That would probably work, but that Panoram computer looks like the ticket. Plus I don't want to use my bike's computer for this, so I'd be buying another computer anyway. Might as well get a Panoram.
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-03, 11:26 AM   #11
Gojohnnygo.
Burn-em Upus Icephaltus
 
Gojohnnygo.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 2,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jump
That would probably work, but that Panoram computer looks like the ticket. Plus I don't want to use my bike's computer for this, so I'd be buying another computer anyway. Might as well get a Panoram.
[QUOTE]Don't forget about the Sigma sport BC800 it's about half the price of the Topeak Panoram. http://www.branfordbike.com/computer/comp3.html#item2
__________________
Sick BubbleGum
Gojohnnygo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-03, 12:26 PM   #12
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 6,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I have the best answer. Get yourself the Garmin GPS and the handlebar mount. This will set you back $175.00 bucks but the GPS will tell you the speed you're traveling plus a whole lot more. I use mine all the time when exploring the MTA system in New York City. I ride the tain all the way to the last stop and the GPS just takes me home!
Dahon.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-03, 01:56 PM   #13
jump
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bellevue, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Gojohnnygo.]
Quote:
Don't forget about the Sigma sport BC800 it's about half the price of the Topeak Panoram. http://www.branfordbike.com/computer/comp3.html#item2
Hey look at that one! It's worthy too ... not quite as dashboardy as the panoram, but 1/2 the price ... hmmmm ... got me thinkin now ...
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-03, 01:58 PM   #14
jump
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bellevue, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I have the best answer. Get yourself the Garmin GPS and the handlebar mount. This will set you back $175.00 bucks but the GPS will tell you the speed you're traveling plus a whole lot more. I use mine all the time when exploring the MTA system in New York City. I ride the tain all the way to the last stop and the GPS just takes me home!
Never thought of GPS! That would be really cool. But 175 ... I think I'd have to save up for that if I ever were to get it ... chuck-ching ... but it's like a probless one and can be used anywhere ... and it's cool ... well its another way the feds can track me down, booooo.
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:40 AM.