Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Silly tire question...but I have to ask

    Is it possible to put a 700 x ?? tire on a bike that is currently running a 26 x 1.95 tire? If so...any good recommendations for a lighter, smooth-rolling, puncture-resistant, thinner tire for an older Trek Navigator 200? I'd like to start using this bike to commute to the gym...but the knobby, fat tires on it are sluggish and heavy, not to mention old and probably rotted. If a can't use a 700 tire, then what would be the best 26 x ?? tire to put on the bike for my intended use? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Milice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,259
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, won't work.
    If it looks like the $3000 bikes but costs less than a decent helmet, it probably isn't a wise investment.


    http://keith-crossreference.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Milice View Post
    No, won't work.
    Ok...thanks! But can you recommend a decent 26 x ?? tire to run on my bike? Something lighter, thinner, faster, and puncture-resistant than the stock 26 x 1.95's that are on there now.

  4. #4
    Pat
    Pat is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Posts
    2,795
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first number refers to the diameter of the tire. A 700 is 70 cm. A 26 is 26 inches. The discrepancy is diameters is just too great to allow a switching of tire sizes on the same wheel. The second number is loosely the size of the width of the tire. The weird thing is that tire manufacturers do not seem to agree as to just what a mm is. I have seen 700 X 23 tires that were as wide if not wider than 700 X 25 tires. I mean how hard can it be?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    Is it possible to put a 700 x ?? tire on a bike that is currently running a 26 x 1.95 tire? If so...any good recommendations for a lighter, smooth-rolling, puncture-resistant, thinner tire for an older Trek Navigator 200? I'd like to start using this bike to commute to the gym...but the knobby, fat tires on it are sluggish and heavy, not to mention old and probably rotted. If a can't use a 700 tire, then what would be the best 26 x ?? tire to put on the bike for my intended use? Thanks!
    There's lots of tires in the 26 X 1.5" size. Get one with a smooth tread and you'll definitely feel a big difference. Don't be afraid of using a bit more air pressure than you're probably used to on your Navigator.

  6. #6
    Videre non videri
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    My Bikes
    1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike
    Posts
    3,204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend Continental SportContact 26x1.3". Great tyre!

  7. #7
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CdCf View Post
    I'd recommend Continental SportContact 26x1.3". Great tyre!
    Can recommend this one but one better for less rolling resistance is the Conti- Grand prx. Very narrow tyre that takes 110psi and last a long time too. Only problem is that it will require High pressure tubes (Presta Valves) and to get to 110 psi will require a floor pump.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  8. #8
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Can recommend this one but one better for less rolling resistance is the Conti- Grand prx. Very narrow tyre that takes 110psi and last a long time too. Only problem is that it will require High pressure tubes (Presta Valves) and to get to 110 psi will require a floor pump.
    Nice tire but it won't fit on the OP's 26" wheel.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Milice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,259
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    Ok...thanks! But can you recommend a decent 26 x ?? tire to run on my bike? Something lighter, thinner, faster, and puncture-resistant than the stock 26 x 1.95's that are on there now.
    Sorry I cant help with smaller tires. If I am buying something for a 26 inch wheeel I am buying mt tires so im lookinh a 2 or 2.1.
    If it looks like the $3000 bikes but costs less than a decent helmet, it probably isn't a wise investment.


    http://keith-crossreference.blogspot.com/

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL, USA
    My Bikes
    1974 Raleigh Sports
    Posts
    307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tire sizing is subtle:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

    Take a look at Harris Cyclery's offerings and see what looks good...you can definitely get something more suited to street use and can also think about getting a Kevlar-belted, more puncture-resistant tire. I have good experiences with Panaracers, so their Pasela Tourguard would be my pick:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/559.html

  11. #11
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

    Linda

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •